Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Yes, the size 36 is a better fit. What is your measured chest circumference wearing just a T-shirt?

2. DrMacabre

DrMacabre One of the Regulars

38 inches something.

3. Peacoat

Thanks. That again confirms my research that one size down from the measured chest size will give a trim fit when not wearing a sweater underneath.

4. BigBrother

BigBrother Familiar Face

So this is quite the shot in the dark, but I was curious if anyone on here just won this auction. It was going to be my first vintage peacoat and I was talking with the owner all along, as well as with people on here. I bid and with about 1 to 2 seconds remaining someone grabbed it out from under me :(. I suppose I’m looking to the goodness of the Internet to see if, by that slim chance you’re on here, you’d be willing to sell it to me. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vietnam-Co...10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc#vi__app-cvip-panel

5. Peacoat

With the minimum bid you placed, it is no wonder you lost it. You should have bid 4 times that. Maybe you would have gotten it for that, maybe not. The winner got that coat for a steal. If you find something you want, and it fits your needs, bid what you would be willing to pay for it. Don't low ball it and hope no one else bids.

AbbaDatDeHat and Gav like this.
  6. BigBrother

BigBrother Familiar Face

Oh good to know. I almost never use eBay. I still don’t understand for example why some choose to list Buy It Now with no bidding, some with, some have phenomenal return policies, some none, some seem to allow making an offer, etc. Just never really shopped on here over the years.

7. Peacoat

And I should have said that if you would be willing to pay $100 for an item, and you bid that amount, you won't necessarily pay $100. If another bidder, or bidders, bid a maximum of $27 on our hypothetical item, you would only pay $28.

I have an extra vintage size 34 that is my wife's coat. It is too big for her and is for sale, but I won't sell it to you because it would be too small for you. The chest would be too tight and the sleeves and body too short. As I have told you before, a 36 or a 38 might be your best bet.

8. BigBrother

BigBrother Familiar Face

I really need to read up on eBay, to understand how max bids work and whatnot. I thought once you place a bid that’s the price you’ll pay, similar to a traditional auction.

Re: the 34, no worries, but that will be the next size I’ll be purchasing. With my 38” chest, I’ve tried on a size 36 with a 20” p2p and it was too large. DrMacabre’s post just now is a perfect example. He has the same chest as me and posed in his new 36. That to me is not a trim fit, at least not the trim fit I’m going for. (If he were to take his hands out of his pockets and pose in a neutral stance, the coat would be too large and bulky for my taste.) Also notice you said it’s a trim fit without a sweater underneath but he is wearing a sweater (not a thick one, but a sweater nonetheless), so imagine that coat on top of just a t shirt. To me that wouldn’t be a trim fit, but to each their own. For comparison, this is the look/trimness I’m going for:

https://images.app.goo.gl/RZUJ9WGhtzNatKeK6

Now that there obviously is a thinner material more akin to a suit, and in a thick wool of a peacoat I don’t expect the same sharp lines and silhouette, but if you see this 34 here on the man:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-peaco...-VTG-34R-Vintage-pea-coat-double/363253807786

you see almost exactly what I’m after. That slim, fitted look but in the thickness of a peacoat. I’m not positive that will be the final result, but given the vintage 36 I tried on was too large, it’s my last option.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  9. Recyclops

Recyclops New in Town

I’ve been on the hunt for a peacoat and was ready to pull the trigger on a more vintage version made of 100% Melton wool. After, so serious thought, I realized that if I’m going to use my peacoat for more than a few days a year hear in Southern California, I’ll need a peacoat that is lighter in weight?
    Can anyone recommend me a lighter weight wool peacoat that is not so trendy and does not sacrifice quality?
    Thanks.

10. Peacoat

Actually, if it was a vintage model, it probably would have had a Kersey shell and not the Melton. Although there were some contracts in the 70s that used Melton. Most of those are labeled "Melton" but not all of them. Kersey is the superior material.

During the winter your temps will be in the mid 60s during the daytime. A peacoat would be way too warm. At night you will have some nights with lows in the upper 40s — low 50s. That is peacoat weather, but just barely.

For a vintage peacoat guide, please see the link below. Sorry, but I don't know anything about the civilian "peacoats."

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

11. Gromperekichelchen

Gromperekichelchen New in Town

Hello there,
    I recently bought a vintage peacoat in good condition and would like some help dating it.
    I found a great guide out here from a reputable source and would say it is pre-1946, correct? Unfortunately, the label has been cut off. However, there is a little tag underneath the usual "naval clothing company" label.
    Does someone know the meaning of it? The tag picture was taken upside down.
    Thanks in advance:)
    Peacoat_outside.jpg Peacoat_inside.jpg Peacoat_tag.jpg

12. Peacoat

Without the tag, the closest I can get is between 1938 and 1945. This is the WWII style peacoat.

Don't know which dating guide you used, but there is one here on TFL written by the world's foremost authority on US Navy peacoats. I have linked it below.

Welcome to the Lounge.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

13. Gromperekichelchen

Gromperekichelchen New in Town

Thanks again for the support, I think that's the guide I read;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021