Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
What are the signs that tell you that? I would like to learn more.
I didn't look for my notes on this one as I didn't have the time. I just recognized it as a 1944 tag. 20 years of studying these tags and coats have given me a certain feel for them and their respective contract years. Sorta like my listening to a song and being able to call the key the song is in without using a pitch pipe or other instrument; it's just in my head.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Taking Juneau out for a walk with the new WW2

Attachments

• WW2.jpg
    WW2.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 84

Dudley

Familiar Face
Great combo (Juneau and coat).

What size is this coat? Is it a 36 R? It gives you a nice trim fit with plenty of length in the sleeves.
Thank you, took about five iterations before I found the right size. This is a 38R. My chest is 40, so a little snug, but that feels good for me.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thank you, took about five iterations before I found the right size. This is a 38R. My chest is 40, so a little snug, but that feels good for me.
With a chest size of 40", I would expect a 38 to give you a trim fit, which it does. No room to layer; that would take a size 40, as you know.

Dudley

Familiar Face
How do folks handle situations on E-Bay where the jacket is not as described. Inaccurate measurements, moth damage. This seems to happen often. The jacket is good enough, but you paid for something different.

spotmark

Familiar Face
How do folks handle situations on E-Bay where the jacket is not as described. Inaccurate measurements, moth damage. This seems to happen often. The jacket is good enough, but you paid for something different.
Put the ball in their court. Tell them, "the item isn't as described, how do you want handle this". They'll usually come back with a discount or tell you to send it back. If they're not willing to work with you, go through eBay or PayPal.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Put the ball in their court. Tell them, "the item isn't as described, how do you want handle this". They'll usually come back with a discount or tell you to send it back. If they're not willing to work with you, go through eBay or PayPal.
This is a very good strategy Spotmark. There have been a few who do not accept responsibility and just say, send it back. In that situation, everyone loses. These are always sellers with less than 100% approval rating

trentstanton

Familiar Face
I almost bid against you for that one, but had to exercise some self control lol- glad you picked it up! Let me know if it doesn’t work out!
Received that 1949 coat today. It's nowhere close to as described unfortunately. Moth tracks all over it. If your still interested it's yours, otherwise looking to get the seller to refund me.

spotmark

Familiar Face
Received that 1949 coat today. It's nowhere close to as described unfortunately. Moth tracks all over it. If your still interested it's yours, otherwise looking to get the seller to refund me.
Ugh. My 49, in my size, arrived on Saturday and it's the opposite case. The only thing I could find on it is they sewed one of the buttons through the pocket.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Ugh. My 49, in my size, arrived on Saturday and it's the opposite case. The only thing I could find on it is they sewed one of the buttons through the pocket.
That's great to hear. I was expecting this one to be in tip top considering they stated no issues with the wool. I counted at least 15 moth tracks.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Idk how to address the ebay stuff. What I paid for the coat is not of concern whether it's 40 or 140. It's about what was represented vs what I received. I do feel more inclined to contest higher dollar amounts though. I feel bad and at the same time, take damn good pics of the coat.

spotmark

Familiar Face
Idk how to address the ebay stuff. What I paid for the coat is not of concern whether it's 40 or 140. It's about what was represented vs what I received. I do feel more inclined to contest higher dollar amounts though. I feel bad and at the same time, take damn good pics of the coat.
To me it's a matter of principle. If they don't want to toss you a discount, have them send you a shipping label, and send it back.

Dudley

Familiar Face
I think at this point I'm tired of seeing fuzzy pics of a coat taken on a 1966 Polaroid and description that's says it's all golden. It's very easy to take pics clear as day and remark on any flaws.
I know this thread is about peacoats, not E-Bay sellers, but E-Bay is the vehicle to get these jackets. I just received a beautiful WW2 jacket with neck tag. I posted it above. The seller misread the neck tag and gave the wrong size, picture was fuzzy and measurements "were approximate. It turned out to be a different size on the tag and I returned it. Seller gladly took it back. He had a 100% approval rating. The jacket before had several moth holes that were not described and I returned that one too. 0 for 2. You have to look hard to see moth holes. So they get missed. And with sizing, being off by a half inch in chest is the difference between two sizes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto