Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Marty7

New in Town
Damn, wasn't there made some in long? So I better take a look on the post war pre 80s. I would like to have one with cord pockets and kersey wool. There's have to be a chance. At least from Mccoy's or Ricksons if I take the short cut...

Dudley

Familiar Face
Damn, wasn't there made some in long? So I better take a look on the post war pre 80s. I would like to have one with cord pockets and kersey wool. There's have to be a chance. At least from Mccoy's or Ricksons if I take the short cut...
Spoonbelly1950 found a 48 long. So there is some hope. Maybe make him an offer he can't refuse. He said it was a bit big for him.

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
Spoonbelly1950 found a 48 long. So there is some hope. Maybe make him an offer he can't refuse. He said it was a bit big for him.
I wouldn't want to sell it. It looks new and the sleeve and body lengths fit fine. The chest and shoulders are a tinch big. I'm 6-2/200. It weighs a Ton, I also found a WWll a few years ago size 46Long. That also is in beautiful shape. These sizes are very rare in WWll peacoats. I just lucked out and scoured ebay and the internet

Peacoat

Bartender
I wouldn't want to sell it. It looks new and the sleeve and body lengths fit fine. The chest and shoulders are a tinch big. I'm 6-2/200. It weighs a Ton, I also found a WWll a few years ago size 46Long. That also is in beautiful shape. These sizes are very rare in WWll peacoats. I just lucked out and scoured ebay and the internet
Good for you. I didn't realize the WWII versions were made in long sizes.

If I remember correctly, the long sizes are 2" longer in the body and 1" longer in the sleeves.

Marty7

New in Town
How are they chest wise? Very roomy?

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
How are they chest wise? Very roomy?
The 46 Long WWII chest wise fits very similar to my other 46s and 46 Longs. It's just a bit longer in the sleeves and overall length then my 46s. . The WWII 48 Longs' sleeve and body length are just about the same as the WWII 46 Long. The 48 is a tinch more roomy then the 46s. chest wise and shoulder wise. I personally don't like todays tight fitting clothes. I can get by wearing a sweater under the 48 Long.

Last edited:

Kfz

Familiar Face
1967 , wwii, 1948(last y 10 buttons )1949
McNair wool shirt, 1972 Melton wool
With such great price. Very easy to buy too many too fast.

Attachments

• 5F3B605E-8E99-4D2D-AD98-50CA898DBC8C.jpeg
    5F3B605E-8E99-4D2D-AD98-50CA898DBC8C.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 6CBD76DA-C634-4FA9-959C-DB19C0A16FFB.jpeg
    6CBD76DA-C634-4FA9-959C-DB19C0A16FFB.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Dudley

Familiar Face
1967 , wwii, 1948(last y 10 buttons )1949
McNair wool shirt, 1972 Melton wool
With such great price. Very easy to buy too many too fast.
Great collection!!! I love the diversity of years. And all in one awesome picture. How do you store your valuables for the summer? This is top of mind for me because I just spent the weekend storing my wool collection. Lots of garment covers and cedar!

Kfz

Familiar Face
Great collection!!! I love the diversity of years. And all in one awesome picture. How do you store your valuables for the summer? This is top of mind for me because I just spent the weekend storing my wool collection. Lots of garment covers and cedar!
Don’t have a plan yet. Thought sun bating will be good before store away

Dudley

Familiar Face
Don’t have a plan yet. Thought sun bating will be good before store away
That is a great step. Filson , a company providing mackinaw wool jackets since the 1800's recommends for their wool jackets to hang them out like you are doing, or run them through the dryer (dry of course) to get rid of odors that attract pests.

Vodzilla

New in Town
Got my first USN Peacoat. Looks like a WW2 based on the number of buttons and the tag.
IMG_3299.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg

P2p is about 18.5 inches so I am guessing it’s a size 34 (edit: for a moment thought is was 36 but, per comment from u/peacoat below, it is a 34). I am 5’5” and about 150lbs. The overall length and sleeve length fits good but feels very snug once buttoned-up.

The buttons needed to be moved greater than the recommended 1 inch.

IMG_3303.jpeg

Button backing as reinforcement.

IMG_3315.jpeg

IMG_3316.jpeg

Hanging around with his brothers once the buttons had been moved.

IMG_3309.jpeg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
P2p is about 18.5 inches so I am guessing it’s a size 36. I am 5’5” and about 150lbs. The overall length and sleeve length fits good but feels very snug once buttoned-up.
I would think it is closer to a size 34 rather than a size 36. PC

View attachment 513367

Is the green one on the right a non permeable deck jacket?

Vodzilla

New in Town
I would think it is closer to a size 34 rather than a size 36. PC

View attachment 513367

Is the green one on the right a non permeable deck jacket?

I had written 34 originally but then I saw your sizing guide.

The green jacket is a USN A2 jacket from 1978. It is size small (34-36) and the label says permeable.

Peacoat

Bartender
I had written 34 originally but then I saw your sizing guide.

The green jacket is a USN A2 jacket from 1978. It is size small (34-36) and the label says permeable.
A size 34 normally has a p2p of 19". I know that isn't consistent, but that's just the way it is. I have measured, and had measured, a bunch of size 34s. Vast majority had 19" p2p. Some maybe closer to 18". Those small sizes don't follow the pattern we would expect.

I have a green deck jacket that looks like that one. It is impermeable. It is a warm jacket. I wear it around the farm when the rain or snow is cold. It keeps me dry and warm. The Navy has good cold weather gear.

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
Got my first USN Peacoat. Looks like a WW2 based on the number of buttons and the tag.
View attachment 513363

View attachment 513364

View attachment 513365

P2p is about 18.5 inches so I am guessing it’s a size 36. I am 5’5” and about 150lbs. The overall length and sleeve length fits good but feels very snug once buttoned-up.

View attachment 513366

View attachment 513369

View attachment 513371

View attachment 513367

View attachment 513363

View attachment 513364

View attachment 513365

View attachment 513366

View attachment 513369

View attachment 513371

View attachment 513367
You should try a size 38. There are usually a ton of them on ebay both WWII and post war.
View attachment 513363

View attachment 513364

View attachment 513365

View attachment 513366

View attachment 513369

View attachment 513371

View attachment 513367

View attachment 513363

View attachment 513364

View attachment 513365

View attachment 513366

View attachment 513369

View attachment 513371

View attachment 513367
Sounds like you need a size 38. There usually are a ton of 38s both WWII and post war on ebay. I have two WWIIs both size 46 or 46 Long. They are both very rare sizes. I'll be posting photos very soon of the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago.

Vodzilla

New in Town
You should try a size 38. There are usually a ton of them on ebay both WWII and post war.

Sounds like you need a size 38. There usually are a ton of 38s both WWII and post war on ebay. I have two WWIIs both size 46 or 46 Long. They are both very rare sizes. I'll be posting photos very soon of the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago.

I thought about sizing up but I feel doing so will present me with issues in vertical length as well as sleeve length. I will try to post a fit pic to better get my point across. Thank you.

Vodzilla

New in Town
A size 34 normally has a p2p of 19". I know that isn't consistent, but that's just the way it is. I have measured, and had measured, a bunch of size 34s. Vast majority had 19" p2p. Some maybe closer to 18". Those small sizes don't follow the pattern we would expect.

I have a green deck jacket that looks like that one. It is impermeable. It is a warm jacket. I wear it around the farm when the rain or snow is cold. It keeps me dry and warm. The Navy has good cold weather gear.

I see. How much bigger is a size up in terms of overall length, sleeves and shoulder width?

Re green deck jacket aka A2: I love it and I usually wear it on my early morning or evening walks. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21