Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

chadwick404

New in Town
Small Silver Shield on Pea Coat

Hello - I recently purchased a pristine size 42R 1967 (based on Peacoat's dating research). The pockets are a dark felt like material. Everything matches up. Very heavy, excellent shape, etc. Just wore it in Cleveland this week - love it.

But, there is a very small silver fabric shield with stars sewn on the right sleeve near the cuff. I have been enlisted in the Navy and do not recall ever seeing anything like it, but it does look genuine and "official" if you know what I mean. And it looks like it was put on there for a designation or rank...

Is this Coast Guard? Or something else official? Or did someone disgrace this fine article with a (nice looking) small badge of some sort?

BTW, the pockets are original, too, but do not quite match PeaCoat's research. Can anyone help? Based on label, no near-cuff sewing line, other factors, I am pretty sure it is 1967...comments/thoughts?

Oh, last thing: I paid $3.99 plus tax at the local Goodwill - a real find!

Peacoat

Bartender
Chadwick, good to have you aboard and interested in a real coat! Yes, the shield is the Coast Guard logo it puts on its peacoats. Otherwise everything is the same, as far as I can determine.

On a 1967 coat I wouldn't expect to see the double line of stitching 3" above the cuff as that ended in 1966, and as you have noted. There will be a single line of stitching at the cuff, however.

Even though 1967 was the last year for the corduroy pockets, not all 1967 peacoats have that type of lining. Some have the cotton lining as you have described.

For you to think it is a 1967 coat, I take it the tag is still present? If so, as you have learned, the date will be embedded in the DSA line. Such as: DSA-100-67-C-1342. Or the 67 could follow the letter designator.

That is a great find at a ridiculously low price. They might as well have given it away.

chadwick404

New in Town
Thank you! Pleased to be here - great forum.

Yes, the tag is in excellent shape; the whole coat is. The date is embedded as you mentioned.

Thank you for clarifying the shield. Seemed to "fit" but I'd never seen one, even at the coast guard bases.

And lastly, the "give away" was quite nice as was the fact it actually fit me...I'd paid quite a bit more for it if needed. When I saw it on the rack, I was almost floored with many Navy memories...although I have almost none actually wearing my peacoat in civilian world. The Navy frowned on that I recall, and I had a couple of civilian coats for wear - shame when I think about it, as I was based in New England - frigid.

Peacoat said:
Chadwick, good to have you aboard and interested in a real coat! Yes, the shield is the Coast Guard logo it puts on its peacoats. Otherwise everything is the same, as far as I can determine.

On a 1967 coat I wouldn't expect to see the double line of stitching 3" above the cuff as that ended in 1966, and as you have noted. There will be a single line of stitching at the cuff, however.

Even though 1967 was the last year for the corduroy pockets, not all 1967 peacoats have that type of lining. Some have the cotton lining as you have described.

For you to think it is a 1967 coat, I take it the tag is still present? If so, as you have learned, the date will be embedded in the DSA line. Such as: DSA-100-67-C-1342. Or the 67 could follow the letter designator.

That is a great find at a ridiculously low price. They might as well have given it away.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Using peacoat's reference page, I kept

my eyes open and recently found this peacoat. Eight-button front, single-stitch on sleeve, single vent back. Not a tag anywhere in it; dark satin lining; brown corduroy pocket lining. No rips, holes, or tears; a little wear right in the lining at the top of the collar. Single anchor, no stars on the buttons. I'm guessing WWII vintage, but, I could easily be mistaken.

2189979390104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2542255000104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

It fits perfectly. I haven't worn a peacoat in more than forty years; I'd forgotten how warm they are and how comfortable.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good find, Jack. Those WWII coats are getting more difficult to locate, especially in good shape. And yes, even with no tag, the evidence points only to WWII, as we have discussed. The eight button (showing) front, corduroy handwarmer pockets, single row of stitching a few inches above the cuff, and the overall cut of the coat clearly marks it as a WWII model.

BTW, in saying that you haven't worn a peacoat in over 40 years, you are giving away your age. I try not to give clues like that, lest someone determine that I am 54. Now that is old!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
54! Peacoat, you're hardly weaned, young man!

I'll give you a clue about my age: when but a lad in grammar school, a pack of velociraptors wiped out an entire kindergarten section at recess one day. Tragic. :D

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Just a Few Pea Coat Questions

Hi,
I just registered on the forum here. I never thought I would find a forum that deals with pea coats. I have just gotten on a hugh pea coat kick. My old pea coat (1965?) became a little too small for me so I brought it to a tailor and had it altered for my younger son. It came out great. I then decided that I wanted another Kersey pea coat. My questions are :
1) Do the '60s and '70s Kersey pea coats come in L (long) sizes? I would need a 46L (long). IrishDon from ebay told me that he doesn't think they do. UsVintage from ebay told me that he could find me one. Has anybody seen long size Kersey pea coats? Do they ever come up on ebay?

2) Is there any such thing as Black Kersey? Or, are all Kersey pea coats the dark navy, midnight, indigo blue color?

3) Are US Coast Guard and US Navy pea coats identical? I just bought a WWII 10 button US Coast Guard pea coat in excellent shape (size 42 R? or 44R?). If there are any differences, what are they?

I have been scouring ebay everyday for the past 2 months for a Kersey 46 Long. I've come close with a 46R, and 48R. I've also seen Black ones in 46L, 46XL, 48R and 48XL but no Kersey 46L. Would somebody on the forum here be able to direct me to someone or something where I could find one?
Thank you very much.

Peacoat

Bartender
Spoonbelly said:
Hi,
I just registered on the forum here. I never thought I would find a forum that deals with pea coats. I have just gotten on a hugh pea coat kick. My old pea coat (1965?) became a little too small for me so I brought it to a tailor and had it altered for my younger son. It came out great. I then decided that I wanted another Kersey pea coat. My questions are :
1) Do the '60s and '70s Kersey pea coats come in L (long) sizes? I would need a 46L (long). IrishDon from ebay told me that he doesn't think they do. UsVintage from ebay told me that he could find me one. Has anybody seen long size Kersey pea coats? Do they ever come up on ebay?

2) Is there any such thing as Black Kersey? Or, are all Kersey pea coats the dark navy, midnight, indigo blue color?

3) Are US Coast Guard and US Navy pea coats identical? I just bought a WWII 10 button US Coast Guard pea coat in excellent shape (size 42 R? or 44R?). If there are any differences, what are they?

I have been scouring ebay everyday for the past 2 months for a Kersey 46 Long. I've come close with a 46R, and 48R. I've also seen Black ones in 46L, 46XL, 48R and 48XL but no Kersey 46L. Would somebody on the forum here be able to direct me to someone or something where I could find one?
Thank you very much.

1. I don't know if the larger vintage sizes come in long or not. As Irish Don deals mostly with the recent issue black "Melton" wool coats, he probably won't know either.

2. There is no such material as black Kersey. The "Melton" wool came into being in 1980; it was, and is, black.

3. Modern Coast Guard and Navy peacoats are the same, except that the CG coats have a small white shield embroidered on the right sleeve. I'm not sure if the 1940s and 1950s CG coats had the shield or not.

If you want to learn to date peacoats so you will know what years produced the Kersey coats, see my Peacoat "sticky" at the top of this (Outerwear) section, if you haven't already done so.

Be careful while in the Outerwear section that you don't let the posters here get you sidetracked with those leather jackets they are so fond of talking about. I wouldn't have one. Wool is truly the way to go.

For an online store that is knowledgeable about vintage peacoats, see the link below. If they don't have a 46L, they could probably tell you if they exist. I tend to think they do, but are rare.

If you have other questions, let me know.

http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Pea Coat Questions

Mr. Peacoat,
Thank you very much for your replies. The Coast Guard coat that I have does not have that small insignia on the sleeve. It is also a little bit larger then the ones I see on ebay. I think that it might even be a 44R. If not then a 42R.

Peacoat

Bartender
Spoonbelly said:
Mr. Peacoat,
Thank you very much for your replies. The Coast Guard coat that I have does not have that small insignia on the sleeve. It is also a little bit larger then the ones I see on ebay. I think that it might even be a 44R. If not then a 42R.

To determine the size of your peacoat, measure across the chest, from just below one armpit to just below the other. You will get a number, such as 22 and a fraction, say 1/8. Disregard the fraction and multiply the number by 2 = 44. Then subtract 2 inches from that number, to account for the material, and you have the size of the peacoat. In this case, a 42.

I hope the rest of you Outerwear posters notice the respect shown me by our new member, Spoonbelly. He even formally addresses me as Mr. Peacoat. You guys would do well to follow his lead. I think that after more than four years on this board, I am entitled to an increased level of respect;)

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Pea Coat Questions

Mr. Peacoat,
Thank you again for your reply. I did contact Vintage Trends. They say that longs in the larger sizes do exist but they are very scarce. I hope they're not that scarce though. I've been looking on ebay for 2 months. Just the other day a 44L from 1969 was posted. It looks brand new and beautiful. It's very close but still not there yet.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Pea Coat Questions

I've been looking on ebay every single day for the past two months and have finally found an older Kersey navy blue coat which fits me. It's a 1969 and it is in NEW condition. It is size 44L and fits me better then the two modern day black coats that I have (1995 and 2001). Those coats are sizes 46L and 46XL. How ironic?? This one is a real beauty. I thought I would never find an old Kersey which would fit me (6'-3" and 220). I will keep up my search on ebay for another. That way I can have a life time supply of Kersey pea coats.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Congratulations on your find, I've been on the look out for ages for a real nice one in my size. There seems to be plenty of shabby ones around but finding a mint pre 1979 is not easy. I do have beauty, but it's just a little too snug for comfort - they are great quality coats. Enjoy!

Cheers

Peacoat

Bartender
Glad you found it. However, I am really surprised the 44L fits you. Not sure that you will need only one back up, though. If left unattended in a public place, even for a minute or so, peacoats often re-grow their sea legs and walk off, never to be seen again.

Peacoat

Bartender
Cooperson said:
Congratulations on your find, I've been on the look out for ages for a real nice one in my size. There seems to be plenty of shabby ones around but finding a mint pre 1979 is not easy. I do have beauty, but it's just a little too snug for comfort - they are great quality coats. Enjoy!

Cheers

Coop, I know you know better from our previous converstations, but it is a pre
1980 that you want; a 1979 is OK. No need to eliminate a whole year off the search criteria.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Peacoat said:
Coop, I know you know better from our previous converstations, but it is a pre
1980 that you want; a 1979 is OK. No need to eliminate a whole year off the search criteria.

You're right of course Mr Peacoat, I do know better - consider me chastised :)
I just got exited seeing a post about peacoats :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Cooperson said:
You're right of course Mr Peacoat, I do know better - consider me chastised :)
I just got exited seeing a post about peacoats :)

I understand, Mr. Coop. It certainly is the business discussing a coat made of warm, naturally insulating wool rather than of dead horse, cow or goat in which the insulating material has to be added, and is not inherent in the jacket manufacturing process itself.

Comments about peacoats are a real breath of fresh air around this joint and give us elitists a reason for being.

Cheers, Mr. Peacoat.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Vintage Navy Pea Coat Dating

Hey Mr. PoohBang,
I just bought a 1969 Kersey in size 44L. My other two pea coats are a 1995 Black 46L and a 2001 Black 46XL. The 44L is a tinch bigger then the two 46s (not longer though). I was very surprised by this (although also very happy). I guess the older dark navy blue Kerseys are larger then the Black ones. We're talking about a significant two inch difference in the size as opposed to what is printed on the labels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy