Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
Good job, Scott. Thanks for doing it.

OK, I need some help from you guys with size 36 and 38 peacoats. My information on the chest measurements on these coats is nonexistence. If you would put your peacoat on a flat surface, face up, pull the material tight across the chest, let it relax and then take the measurement across the chest from one armpit to the other, I would appreciate it. There will probably be a fraction involved, so get as close as you can. I would like to have the measurements from vintage and current issue as well as civilian peacoats, but please specify which one it is.

As my mailbox is usually at the maximum, please post your measurements here. I doubt there will be that many, so we shouldn't overload the thread. If we do, Scott can delete them after a week or so.

Thanks so much if any of you have these size peacoats.

Peacoat

Bartender
WWII peacoat: I wonder where the seller came up with the size of 34/36? There really is no such thing. Did he make a guess? Is there a tag on the coat he didn't show? He says it measures 16.5 across the chest, but that isn't what I would expect a true size 34 to measure. All of the measured chest sizes on size 34 come in right at 19".

1964 peacoat: For some reason this seller listed this as XS when the tag says 34R. I have never heard of an XS. Now this coat does measure 19" across the chest, which is what I would expect a size 34 to measure. This coat will not give you a tight fit, but it will have room for a sweater underneath. If you are thinking about sizing down for a more fitted look, I'm not sure a size 32 would be widely available; they are rare. Anyway, in NJ you need enough room for a sweater. I would ask the seller about the XS designation. Also I would ask him about the moth nibbling, such as where it is located, how large is the area and if there is anymore damage. Doesn't appear to be a hole but more of a nibbling or a tracking, as it is sometimes called.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm currently the winning bidder on a 38 peacoat (and have another one on watch just in case), so hopefully I'll be able to take some measurements soon!

There are some great resources here for peacoats, they have been hugely useful to me!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Good job, Scott. Thanks for doing it.

OK, I need some help from you guys with size 36 and 38 peacoats. My information on the chest measurements on these coats is nonexistence. If you would put your peacoat on a flat surface, face up, pull the material tight across the chest, let it relax and then take the measurement across the chest from one armpit to the other, I would appreciate it. There will probably be a fraction involved, so get as close as you can. I would like to have the measurements from vintage and current issue as well as civilian peacoats, but please specify which one it is.

As my mailbox is usually at the maximum, please post your measurements here. I doubt there will be that many, so we shouldn't overload the thread. If we do, Scott can delete them after a week or so.

Thanks so much if any of you have these size peacoats.

I just followed your instructions and measured my 1947 size 36 Pea Coat from armpit to armpit. I measured 19 inches.

I should have the size 38 WWII Pea Coat, that we discussed, in hand some time this week. Once I receive it, I'll post it's measurement from armpit to armpit.

- Ian

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
there's this one too, but its the same as the 64. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130417261021&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I think the WWII's measurement is wrong. 16.5 is 33 total chest, that's tiny lol.

What do you think of the shoulder measurements? I have 17 inch shoulders, but they coat says 18".

33 is the outside measurement. The inside measurement would be even smaller. I haven't done any research on the shoulder measurements, so I can't help you there. Too many variables on where the measurement is taken.

I just followed your instructions and measured my 1947 size 36 Pea Coat from armpit to armpit. I measured 19 inches.

I should have the size 38 WWII Pea Coat, that we discussed, in hand some time this week. Once I receive it, I'll post it's measurement from armpit to armpit.

- Ian

19" is what I would expect to see on a size 34 peacoat. I have found that the smaller the size, the larger the number that must be subtracted from the pit to pit measurement to get the tag size. 40 through 46 is 2 and 34 is 4. That's why I am gathering information on the chest measurements on the size 36 and 38. It's getting a bit fuzzy though as it seems the 34 is 19" across, and a 40 is 21" across. I would have been more comfortable had the size 34 been 18" across; that would have left 19" and 20" across for the size 36 and 38. Maybe it will be made up in fractions. Oh well, such is life in the research world.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
33 is the outside measurement. The inside measurement would be even smaller. I haven't done any research on the shoulder measurements, so I can't help you there. Too many variables on where the measurement is taken.

19" is what I would expect to see on a size 34 peacoat. I have found that the smaller the size, the larger the number that must be subtracted from the pit to pit measurement to get the tag size. 40 through 46 is 2 and 34 is 4. That's why I am gathering information on the chest measurements on the size 36 and 38. It's getting a bit fuzzy though as it seems the 34 is 19" across, and a 40 is 21" across. I would have been more comfortable had the size 34 been 18" across; that would have left 19" and 20" across for the size 36 and 38. Maybe it will be made up in fractions. Oh well, such is life in the research world.

I triple checked. I readjusted and wanted to make sure that I was measuring correctly ...and, I still got 19 inches from armpit to armpit. I remember that you said the WWII and WWII era Pea Coats are the slimmest fitting. Maybe that is why this 1947 size 36 is 19 inches across the chest. It will be interesting to see what the WWII size 38 Pea Coat measures. The beauty of this example is that it actually still has it's collar size tag..so, we know it's really a 38.

- Ian

dunelly

New in Town
Isnt it 34 - 19 chest to chest = 38
I thought these coats have a difference of 4 inches between coat chest + your real chest

so a 36 would be 20"
38 - 21 "
40 - 22" etc

Peacoat

Bartender
Isnt it 34 - 19 chest to chest = 38
I thought these coats have a difference of 4 inches between coat chest + your real chest

so a 36 would be 20"
38 - 21 "
40 - 22" etc

It doesn't work out that way. Read the section on sizing, which is accurate for sizes 40 to 46. For the smaller sizes I have only determined the pit to pit measurement of the size 34, which is 19". I am working on the size 36 and the size 38. That's why I asked for pit to pit measurements of those sizes, to see if I can develop a logical and consistent pattern.

Thanks Ian, for double checking.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Every once in a while (2 or 3 times a year) you will find the old blue peacoats(Kersey wool) in size 48 on ebay. I have never seen a size 50 posted on ebay. Not sure if they made that size back then. They do make size 50 in the more modern day black US Navy peacoats. I've seen a couple of those on ebay. I take a size 46, or a 46 Long and they are pretty hard to find in the old blue Kersey coats.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I have a question on pea coat pilling on the inside lower back area. The coat I have had some pilling there when I bought it, and I cleaned it up for the most part. I can tell there is some wear on the lower inside back fabric. My question is, are there any ideas on minimizing future pilling? I don't think I'll have too much of a problem since this coat will be my tighter fit coat, so I don't plan on wearing sweaters and such under it, just button down shirts.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Peacoat

Bartender
From the description, you probably have one of the current issue peacoats. I think you are stuck with the pilling problem, but as things go, it is a minor problem

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I combed and scraped off the pilling on my black pea coat, only to find it came back 1, 2, 3. Can't get rid of it. I wish they would line the entire inside of the modern day black peacoats with the same material that they use for that top part of the lining. That would be beautiful. The lining they use for that top part is Really nice. How much more expensive could it be?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I triple checked. I readjusted and wanted to make sure that I was measuring correctly ...and, I still got 19 inches from armpit to armpit. I remember that you said the WWII and WWII era Pea Coats are the slimmest fitting. Maybe that is why this 1947 size 36 is 19 inches across the chest. It will be interesting to see what the WWII size 38 Pea Coat measures. The beauty of this example is that it actually still has it's collar size tag..so, we know it's really a 38.

- Ian

All right, I have the size 38 WWII era Pea Coat in hand. I have measured it from armpit to armpit three times. I measured it twice with it lying face/front up, resting flat with one button buttoned. I measured it once face/front down again resting flat with one button buttoned. All three times I measured 20 1/4 inches from armpit to armpit.

Also, I decided to measure the size 36 1947 Pea Coat once more from armpit to armpit. Previously, I had measured it three times (just to be sure) in the same manner I just described regarding the WWII era size 38 except I didn't meaure it while lying face/front down. Well, I did that this time and I again measured 19 inches from armpit to armpit. That's just what it is.

On a side note, that WWII era Pea Coat is darn near mint (collar tag and all) and fits me really well. By the way, that mint 1947 size 36 will be for sale. I found that three years ago with the cutter (inspection) tags still attached all over it.

- Ian

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Ian. The measurements are what I would have anticipated, except that I have measured two size 34 peacoats, and recieved measurements from two more; they are all at 19". Makes no sense to me. The 34s should measure 18".

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thanks Ian. The measurements are what I would have anticipated, except that I have measured two size 34 peacoats, and recieved measurements from two more; they are all at 19". Makes no sense to me. The 34s should measure 18".

Were those size 34's manufactured right after the war? Keep in mind that my size 36 is a 1947. Maybe in '46 and '47 Pea Coats were still as trim/slim fitting as the WWII era Pea Coats.

- Ian

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Picked my Size 38 Peacoat up today from the post, and I'm hugely happy. Big thanks for the Peacoat resources on this forum, they made the search much, much easier.

Right, just to add to the information pool, this is the label in mine:

PeacoatLabel.jpg

From the sticky, this should date it somewhere in the 1949-1952 range, I think? It also has the line of stitching on the sleeve about 3" up from the cuff. The wool is excellent and shows very little wear. Pockets are lined with tan cordorouy.

PeacoatSize.jpg

That's just to show where I've measured the chest size. I wanted a proper cloth tape measure, but can't find one right now. I'll measure again when I've found one to be sure, but I make the chest size 20.5" on this 38" chest coat.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Very nice and warm, which is what I was looking for. I need to re-sew a couple of the buttons, they have been re-attached poorly (the thread actually passes through the pockets, making them a bit rubbish to use). The collar line needs pressing back into the correct line as it has been re-pressed somewhat to make it more open at the collar, running below the next button down from where it should be (you can't tell in the pic I've posted with the buttons done up, but it is a bit off when wearing it). Spot on fit for me, as well, and I normally wear a 38" suit.

Little Elvis

New in Town
Yes, those years are very similar and probably impossible to tell apart if there is no tag on them.

Not sure that I have seen a 46 WWII coat.

For those of you who found this thread from an outside search engine, there is another thread that spells out the ins and outs of Peacoat Dating. It is found in a sticky toward the top of the Outerwear Sections. Here is the link as you may get lost if you leave this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

I think I have a WWII size 46 at home. It's been on my mind to try and date my Peacoat, so this might be a good opportunity. I'll take some pics and post some info when I get home tonight or over the weekend. I do recall that it has the cord pockets, chin strap, and I'm pretty sure it has a Navy Clothing Factory label.

I visited this form to try and see whether replacement buttons are anything special. I just lost one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR