Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

wquiles

Familiar Face
Coat showed up today, exactly like in the pictures. Fits me perfectly in the body, with room for a sweater. Sleeve length is perhaps 1/2" to 3/4" too long, but I am leaving it "as is" for now. Amazing that a coat almost 50 years old still can look this good - makes the $45 an incredible bargain!

Thanks much Peacoat :)

Peacoat

Bartender
That is a good find at an excellent price. You are lucky to get a good vintage coat at that price.

The sleeves are an easy fix if you decide to have them taken up.

Congratulations on a good score. PC.

GGinSF

New in Town
US Navy Peacoat question - storm flap

I had a great pea coat many years ago, and I'd like to get another to replace it. I've read up a bit on this site so I know how to date most old pea coats. What I'm interested in is whether all the coats from WWII to the current models have the "storm flap" under the collar? I'm referring to the strap that is attached by smaller buttons for storage, and can be used across the throat. My old coat had one, and I'm sure the WWII era ones did, but I haven't seen pictures of 50's/60's ones with this feature. Thanks for any info you can share.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I had a great pea coat many years ago, and I'd like to get another to replace it. I've read up a bit on this site so I know how to date most old pea coats. What I'm interested in is whether all the coats from WWII to the current models have the "storm flap" under the collar? I'm referring to the strap that is attached by smaller buttons for storage, and can be used across the throat. My old coat had one, and I'm sure the WWII era ones did, but I haven't seen pictures of 50's/60's ones with this feature. Thanks for any info you can share.

I think what you're describing is the throat latch. A storm flap is a piece of material that fits behind the zip on a single breasted jacket intended to keep wind out. A2 type jackets and cafe racers (among others) often have them. The classic pea coat, being double breasted, doesn't need one since the doubled material over the front acts in exactly the same fashion.

I have seen many pea coats that don't have the throat latch.

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm not sure, but I believe the throat latch ended with the WWII models. The post war models have a button under the collar that serves, basically, the same purpose.

Oh, and welcome to the Lounge.

Scott, Paddy or D-man, could one of you move this to the big peacoat thread?

wquiles

Familiar Face
Thanks to this forum/threads on the Navy Peacoat, I am interesting in getting a second one (hopefully it will stop at just 2 of them!). Just ran across a coat with this label - real Navy issue, or not?

RealorFake.jpg

GGinSF

New in Town
I'm not sure, but I believe the throat latch ended with the WWII models. The post war models have a button under the collar that serves, basically, the same purpose.

Oh, and welcome to the Lounge.

Scott, Paddy or D-man, could one of you move this to the big peacoat thread?

Thank you (for the answer & for the move to the correct thread). I was initially torn between getting a replacement WWII vs. a 50's/60's. I like the look of the lapel on the later, but I'm sentimental and since my old one (stolen in the early 90's) was WWII-era I'd like to replace it with similar. I was always intrigued by the throat latch. I'm just hoping that the tighter cut of WWII is OK, since I'm not quite as thin as I was 25 years ago!

At 5'8", 40" chest (measured, and suit jacket wise as well), 170 lbs, I've been looking for a size 40. One I've got my eye on doesn't have a size tag, but stated measurements are:

shoulder to shoulder 18 1/2"
shoulder to cuff 25"
armpit to armpit 20"
top to bottom 32 1/2"

Does that sound about right, or a bit small? It seems hard to find shoulders wider than 18.5" in the older coats. Thanks again for the help.

wquiles

Familiar Face
Thank you (for the answer & for the move to the correct thread). I was initially torn between getting a replacement WWII vs. a 50's/60's. I like the look of the lapel on the later, but I'm sentimental and since my old one (stolen in the early 90's) was WWII-era I'd like to replace it with similar. I was always intrigued by the throat latch. I'm just hoping that the tighter cut of WWII is OK, since I'm not quite as thin as I was 25 years ago!

At 5'8", 40" chest (measured, and suit jacket wise as well), 170 lbs, I've been looking for a size 40. One I've got my eye on doesn't have a size tag, but stated measurements are:

shoulder to shoulder 18 1/2"
shoulder to cuff 25"
armpit to armpit 20"
top to bottom 32 1/2"

Does that sound about right, or a bit small? It seems hard to find shoulders wider than 18.5" in the older coats. Thanks again for the help.

I am new here as well, but I am also 5'8", 170 pounds, I wear size 40 suits, and the 1958-1965 Peacoat I just got in 40R fits me well, with room for a sweater, so to me size 40 was the right size.

Per the rule-of-thumb I learned here, armpit to armpit of 20" means the coat is a 38, not a 40. Both should fit you, but the 38 might fit with little/no room for layering.

GGinSF

New in Town
Thanks, wquiles. You've confirmed what I was thinking. I think I'll stick with a size 40 in a six-button late 50's/60's style, or jump up a size in WWII.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks to this forum/threads on the Navy Peacoat, I am interesting in getting a second one (hopefully it will stop at just 2 of them!). Just ran across a coat with this label - real Navy issue, or not?

RealorFake.jpg

I think it is Navy issue. Although I haven't seen an Atlantic Coat Company tag before. The litmus test for this tag is the type of wool shell the jacket has. Is it the Kersey wool? If so, it is the real deal. If you don't have the coat in your possession, and you are thinking about buying it, I would think the tag is sufficient to allow 90% probability that it is a vintage issue coat.

And you are correct about the 20+" being a size 38. And also correct about a size 38 fitting someone with a 40" chest without much room for a sweater.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks, wquiles. You've confirmed what I was thinking. I think I'll stick with a size 40 in a six-button late 50's/60's style, or jump up a size in WWII.

If you have a true 40" chest, I wouldn't go up to a size 42 in the WWII coats. I think a 40 would fit you fine and might even allow for a sweater. The WWII coats are cut a little more fitted, but you don't need to go up a size. They are only about 1/2" smaller in diameter--p2p is 1/4" smaller.

GGinSF

New in Town
One WWII model I'm looking at doesn't have a tag size, but listed measurements are 21.5" pit to pit, and 19.5" shoulder to shoulder. Does that sound like a size 40?

Last edited:

wquiles

Familiar Face
I think it is Navy issue. Although I haven't seen an Atlantic Coat Company tag before. The litmus test for this tag is the type of wool shell the jacket has. Is it the Kersey wool? If so, it is the real deal. If you don't have the coat in your possession, and you are thinking about buying it, I would think the tag is sufficient to allow 90% probability that it is a vintage issue coat.

And you are correct about the 20+" being a size 38. And also correct about a size 38 fitting someone with a 40" chest without much room for a sweater.

The tag says it should be from 1975, but the seller states it is made out of Melton Wool, and that it is in fact slightly thinner than in other years. Here is the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301044987965?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is another one, from 1990 (the seller send me an additional photo with the inner label):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191003276822?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Label_1_of_2.jpg

Label_2_of_2.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
One WWII model I'm looking at doesn't have a tag size, but listed measurements are 21.5" pit to pit, and 19.5" shoulder to shoulder. Does that sound like a size 40?

Yes, that is a size 40. If the p2p is correct, it will fit just a little bit larger than the standard WWII model. Maybe 1/2" in diameter. Most would not notice the subtle chest diameter increase.

Peacoat

Bartender
The tag says it should be from 1975, but the seller states it is made out of Melton Wool, and that it is in fact slightly thinner than in other years. Here is the listing:

OK, this one is more difficult than most. The seller, for once, seems to be knowledgable. But I trust very few peacoat sellers. Some seem to know what they are talking about, but really don't have a clue. I have a feeling this seller knows the score.

In 1973 Pembroke had the contract for some Melton pea coats. Until now I didn't know there was another year Melton was used--assuming this seller is correct. If I could see the coat in person, it would only take about 2 seconds to sort it out.

I might buy it just to see what it is made of. But if you are going to bid on it, let me know, and I will stay out of the chase. Plus, my wife told me about four years ago: "No more pea coats." And she is right, as my walkin closet has no more room.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
In 1973 Pembroke had the contract for some Melton pea coats. Until now I didn't know there was another year Melton was used--assuming this seller is correct. If I could see the coat in person, it would only take about 2 seconds to sort it out.
If you take the photo of the rank stripes and brighten it up, you can see that the cloth surrounding the badge is (almost certainly) melton since it has a pretty 'rough' texture, unlike the kersey wool which looks almost smooth in photos. Also, in the photo showing the seller's hand and the crossed anchor badge, you can see a fuzzy nap to the surface of the coat (in profile), which strongly suggests melton wool for the same reason.

GGinSF

New in Town
For older coats with rank patches still on them, is there usually a noticeable difference in color due to fading (or lack of it under the patch) when the patch is removed?

Peacoat

Bartender
For older coats with rank patches still on them, is there usually a noticeable difference in color due to fading (or lack of it under the patch) when the patch is removed?

With all of the peacoats I have owned, only one had the rating on the coat. I removed it with no difference in the material. I believe it was a 1980 current issue coat. If a coat has been in the closet for fifty or so years, as most of them have been, there should be no appreciable difference in the material.

wquiles

Familiar Face
Peacoat,

Today I had to go out and ran some errands, and it was about 42F, with constant rain, low wind. I had a thin long sleeve t-shirt, a thin North Face vest, and my "new-to-me" Peacoat - if felt awesome - as if I was indoors, nice and warm. The 40R was also comfortable while driving (just undo the last button). I can tell this coat is going to serve me well for a long time.

Thanks once more. I am now a true believer on these vintage coats :D

I now need to find a second/backup coat!

Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW