Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Spoonbelly

Spoonbelly One of the Regulars

Up here in New York it should be a few weeks when I can start wearing those pea coats of mine. I can hardly wait. What a weird thing to look forward to. I have to first get them all out of their clothes bags first.

2. HeyMoe

HeyMoe Practically Family

Up here in North Central VT, I have worn mine twice already (mornings in the low 30s). I end up wearing it until mid December when the overcoat comes out.

3. Spoonbelly

I know. The winters in Vt. are butt kickin'. Have a friend who went to school there. I was surprised at the snowfall and temperatures he would tell me. Where I live (60 miles north of NYC), you can get away with a sweater under the peas in the coldest times.

4. HeyMoe

HeyMoe Practically Family

I have worn my pea coat at -30. It's not bad if you layer up. I have tossed it on under a long over coat (think Tom Hanks coat in road to perdition length) on super cold mornings.

5. mirage-bot

mirage-bot New in Town

Tons of thanks to Peacoat and the other contributors to this thread for the incredibly helpful info while I try to pick up a vintage peacoat.
    I'm having trouble with sizing. I've asked two sellers now to give me pit-to-pit measurements of 1960s peacoats. One was a size 36, measured at 21 inches. I thought this must be a mistake, and the seller just wasn't following the instructions (copy and pasted from the peacoat dating thread) properly. The nest person I asked was selling a size 38 and measured pit-to-pit at 22 inches! Does anybody have a guess what's going on? Are the 1960s peacoats much much larger than the earlier years? Are people really bad at measuring?

For reference, I've got a 37 inch chest and normally wear a 38 suit. I recently tried on some Sterlingwear coats at an army surplus store and found a 36 to be a bit too snug.

6. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

The sellers aren't measuring properly. There isn't nearly that much difference between the coats for those years. PC.

7. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Familiar Face

[​IMG]

Last week, the temps dipped enough to warrant the first wearing of the (1955) peacoat.

davyjones007 likes this.
  8. Peacoat

Looks good, CP. We got cool last week as well (upper 20s and low 50s), but needed to give the Goodwear and the Eastman some playing time. Will wait until the high is in the 40s before I bring out the peacoats. PC.

9. eskvarla

eskvarla New in Town

I found, what I think based on previous posts, is a WWII Peacoat. It's in amazing condition. I found it in an Antique/Consignment Shop in Fayetteville, PA on our way to visit Gettysburg in October. It was $40 originally priced with a 60% discount. If it's the real deal sounds like a steal. Fits like a charm, too. It has 4 buttons showing, 2 more hidden under the lapel. It has the Storm Flap. It has the label with the two anchors on the inside left pocket. The pockets are tan corduroy. There is also a smaller pocket on the right inside toward the bottom - looks about big enough for a pack of smokes. The one thing that is really throwing me is the cuffs. What I've read mentions about 3 inches, this one is maybe and inch and a half to two inches apart. Perhaps it was shortened? I'm 5'4" and it fits my arms perfectly.

Any info is appreciated!

I tried to post pictures but I can't figure out how to do it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. Peacoat

Sounds like the real deal to me. The sleeves may have been shortened, which would change the distance to the double row of stitching.

To post pictures, you will need to use a third party server, such as Photobucket. Scott posted instructions a while back, but in looking for them just now, I wasn't able to find them.

11. Spoonbelly

WWII Pea Coats

Hey Guys,
    I could be wrong, but I think WWII coats have only one row of stitching about 3" above the row of stitching that is at the cuff. The two WWII coats that I have had were like this. Definitely sounds like WWII coat though. I think the two rows of stitching above the bottom of the sleeve started with the post war 6 button (total of 8) coats.

12. Peacoat

You are right, Spoon. I just checked my remaining WWII coat, and it has two rows of single stitching. One at the cuff and the other 3" or so above that. Good memory and eye for detail.

13. pedalsteel

pedalsteel New in Town

Hey Peacoat, I just posted a about a WW1 era Navy wool coat. It's a long coat and I'm not sure if Peacoat is the correct term for it or not. Also some questions on Officer or Enlisted issue since there doesn't appear to be any shoulderboards for the rank to attach to. Maybe a fancy peacoat for extra formal occasions! Regardless it's a pretty sweet find.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74885-Dream-coat-WW1-era-U-S-Navy-wool-coat

14. Spoonbelly

I have immersed myself in these coats for the past few years so I have picked up a few things along the way.

15. polocoat

polocoat One of the Regulars

Love the weight of my vintage melton U S Navy enlisted mans pea coat. Now, I want a U S Navy Officers Bridgecoat because of its length however, I remember reading somewhere that the Bridgecoat is not as heavy as the peacoat. Can anybody comment on the melton fabric weight and warmth of the peacoat contrasted with the Bridgecoat? Thanks

16. Peacoat

The peacoat is a very heavy wool of about 32 oz. The bridge coat is a much lighter wool, maybe a 24 0z.? They do come with a liner which increases the warmth. Many times the bridgecoats are missing the liner, such as mine. Without the liner, the bridgecoat is not nearly as warm as the peacoat. It does cover more of the lower body, however.

17. polocoat

polocoat One of the Regulars

Hi Peacoat. I think we communicated about flight jackets on another site. I noticed that a few Bridgecoat sellers are advertising that their Bridgecoats are 32oz. 100% melton. Would that mean it should be as warm, without liner, than the peacoat? Another question - Was there ever a time when the color of the Bridgecoat was changed from dark blue to black. When I inquired about a Bridgecoat being sold on Ebay (it was advertised by an ex-Navy person as being black) I was told that in the seventies the color was changed to black. Know anything about this? Thanks.

18. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Practically Family

This is my 1940's WWII era U.S. Navy Pea Coat. I picked it up on ebay the winter before last. It's in nearly mint condition. It even has the, rarely seen, collar tag. It's tagged a size 38.

My wife took these pictures this afternoon as we were walking through Central Park. Since the coat is nearly black, you can't see too much detail, unfortunately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Ian

19. Peacoat

Might be that the bridgecoats changed to the black Melton wool in 1980, just as the peacoats did, but I don't have any evidence of that. My bridgecoat is the midnight blue color, same as the peacoats.

Ian, great fit. Love the coat. I used to wear my size 40 post war coat in, and around, Central Park back in the 70s. In fact, acorns for the squirrels are still in the pocket. I have left them there for memories of good times.

20. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Practically Family

It was perfect weather for wearing the Pea Coat around the park, yesterday. The temps didn't get out of the low 30s.

- Ian