Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ We now have a thread on bridge coats which suggest checking out LINK. The tags on bridge coats are different than on pea coats and often have no information at all.

omza

New in Town
Below is a link to sewing on a button. It sounds more complicated than it is. It is important to install the shank so the button won't be too tight. Get a thimble that is big enough for your fingers as the material is thick and tough to sew through. Also, get as large a needle as you can find. Someone at a fabric shop will know what size you need. Be careful to not sew through a pocket.

If you have a WWII coat that fits, and has no damage other than what you mentioned, I would be hesitant about sending it back. There is a process called reweaving which can repair damage to wool items of clothing. I think it is relatively expensive. Most large cities will have a tailor or seamstress who can repair damage in this matter. You might get an estimate, contact the seller, complain about the unmentioned damage and let him know how much it is going to cost you to get the coat in the condition as it was advertised. Maybe you can get a partial refund to help with the reweaving costs.

Hard to tell from your pictures the extent of the damage, but it doesn't appear to be that bad. Finding a WWII coat with no damage, and that fits, is a hit or miss proposition. Spoonbelly probably has more recent experience than I in finding WWII peacoats, so I don't think his advice is out of line. I just am reluctant to send a coat back with a minor problem and then take the chance that I might never again find one as nice in my size. But that is up to you, as you are the one who will wear it. Yesterday I wore my favorite peacoat. It was issued to a buddy of mine in 1965. After he got out of the Navy it hung in unprotected closets for years, until he gave it to me 6 or 7 years ago. The coat has several areas of moth damage, but the damage doesn't bother me at all. I got several compliments on the coat, and no one noticed the moth damage.

These coats will last as long as the owner, or owners, take care of them--well over 100 years, maybe even 200 years. So, the damage isn't as a result of the coat being old; something just happened to it on its journey through life during the past 70 years.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sew-a-Button

Thank you so much,

The spot where the wool has come off and you can see stitching is about the size of my thumb. I'm inclined to agree with you that a partial refund would be the best solution. I've contacted the seller, and will see what happens.

Slobo

New in Town
Great find there Dinerman. Ad is dated 1933. I wonder when this version with the extra waist flap pockets and Star+Anchor buttons gave way to the version with just the breast handwarmer pockets and simple anchor buttons.

Peacoat

Bartender
Great find there Dinerman. Ad is dated 1933. I wonder when this version with the extra waist flap pockets and Star+Anchor buttons gave way to the version with just the breast handwarmer pockets and simple anchor buttons.

As always, a good job Dinerman.

Yes, this coat is what I call the WWI peacoat. Its successor was the WWII peacoat which gave way to the modern peacoat shortly after the war.

Slobo

New in Town
Peacoat, yes that was the version used in WW2 but do we know when the specs changed? When were they first issued?

chesapeake

New in Town
While researching a peacoat I just bought, I ran across this forum and thread. I paid $35 shipped. It is in perfect condition. I have signed up, but apparently I can't post pictures or pm anyone. I am just looking to see what this coat dates too. It is made by Sterlingware Exclusivley for DS CP according to the tags. Contract number SP0100-98-D-1017

44R
8405-01-154-5797

My email is ttcrews@hotmail.com

Thanks

Ted

blacksby

New in Town
Hello, I'm new to this place.

I picked up a peacoat last winter and didn't know much about it, other than that it fit pretty good and was the warmest thing i've ever worn..
then I find this thread/forum and my curiousity has me crazy.
I haven't photo'd the coat yet but here are some details as I'd appreciate any help in dating it and learning a bit.

-It's dark navy
-It has the tan corduroy pockets
-All the tags were removed
-It has no stencils of anyone's names
-It has a throat latch
-It has stitching about 3" up the sleeve, but not a double row, just a single.
-Dark shiny lining.

THANKS, TB

blacksby

New in Town
Finally found one on the bay that has the same sleeve stitching and all other details
LINK
All this seller is saying is "WW2"...I have to say, mine is in incredible shape. Love it regardless of vintage or anything else.

10 with 8 showing.
Also, can button both left or right
thx

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Definitely WW2 or shortly thereafter. The un-fouled anchor tag on the eBay example indicates it's a pre-1947 example. If yours looks like that it would be the same thing! The navy switched from 10 button to 8 button sometime after the war, possibly around the time that they switched the style of the manufacturing tags from the un-fouled to the fouled variety. Aren't these the best winter coats ever? I have one that I wear every winter and absolutely love it.

blacksby

New in Town
This is my coat...excuse the white dog hair...had to lay it on the bed, and well, ya know.

Definitely WW2 or shortly thereafter. The un-fouled anchor tag on the eBay example indicates it's a pre-1947 example. If yours looks like that it would be the same thing! The navy switched from 10 button to 8 button sometime after the war, possibly around the time that they switched the style of the manufacturing tags from the un-fouled to the fouled variety. Aren't these the best winter coats ever? I have one that I wear every winter and absolutely love it.

Sneash

New in Town
Hey guys,

My name is Clive and I am from Toronto. I am new to this site but noticed your extremely informative pea coat threads and was very interested. I am looking for a nice fashionable coat that can stand the winters of Toronto and, seeing as you folks seem to have a lot of insight, I wanted to ask you a few questions. Do you know where I can get an authentic 1930s to 1950s ,Navy wool pea coat in good condition for a reasonable price? I have checked ebay and it seems to have mainly black wool coats. Also, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and get a tailor to adjust the coat a bit as I am looking for a nice snug fit around a sweater. Oh and lastly does anybody know why Sterlingwear of Boston never seems to have the Navigator coat in Navy in stock and how much they would charge for shipping to Toronto? Thanks for any answers, They are all very well appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy