Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

My name is Clive and I am from Toronto. I am new to this site but noticed your extremely informative pea coat threads and was very interested. I am looking for a nice fashionable coat that can stand the winters of Toronto and, seeing as you folks seem to have a lot of insight, I wanted to ask you a few questions. Do you know where I can get an authentic 1930s to 1950s ,Navy wool pea coat in good condition for a reasonable price? I have checked ebay and it seems to have mainly black wool coats. Also, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and get a tailor to adjust the coat a bit as I am looking for a nice snug fit around a sweater. Oh and lastly does anybody know why Sterlingwear of Boston never seems to have the Navigator coat in Navy in stock and how much they would charge for shipping to Toronto? Thanks for any answers, They are all very well appreciated.

The pea coat season is just about to start on ebay. During the winter months there are many peacoats listed on ebay. The number of old vintage, dark navy blue coats will increase very much, as will the black ones. What size are you? The most common sizes in vintage peacoats are 36,38, and 40. Large sizes get to be rare. Ebay is still probably your best source. You can go to a tailor, but make sure they do really good work and are familar with the old pea coats. It's probably still safer to get a size that will be snug with a sweater without any alterations done. You also don't want to get it too small as it will be too snug with a sweater. 30s coats are very rare. 40s (WWII) are fairly common, along with 50s. If you have a common size you'll have it made finding a coat on ebay.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ I would make the general statement please don't buy a WW2 era coat and then have someone alter it. Not only does it kill any re-sale value down the road, since it won't be a standard fit anymore, but it will also be messing about with a piece of history. Yes, there's still a lot of these coats around, but in time there won't be. Don't be one of those people who buys a famous painting and throws in on a fire "because I own it and I can do what I like with it". We have to be custodians of history, as much as possible.

Sneash

New in Town
The pea coat season is just about to start on ebay. During the winter months there are many peacoats listed on ebay. The number of old vintage, dark navy blue coats will increase very much, as will the black ones. What size are you? The most common sizes in vintage peacoats are 36,38, and 40. Large sizes get to be rare. Ebay is still probably your best source. You can go to a tailor, but make sure they do really good work and are familar with the old pea coats. It's probably still safer to get a size that will be snug with a sweater without any alterations done. You also don't want to get it too small as it will be too snug with a sweater. 30s coats are very rare. 40s (WWII) are fairly common, along with 50s. If you have a common size you'll have it made finding a coat on ebay.

Oh I see, Thanks for your reply. I am a size 36 but as I have been exercising regularly I expect my size to go up a bit ( Is this a wrong assumption to make? I am not very aware of sizing.). Also if I want it to fit snug with a sweater should I size up, or size down? Again, Thank you for the reply it was very helpful.

Sneash

New in Town
^ I would make the general statement please don't buy a WW2 era coat and then have someone alter it. Not only does it kill any re-sale value down the road, since it won't be a standard fit anymore, but it will also be messing about with a piece of history. Yes, there's still a lot of these coats around, but in time there won't be. Don't be one of those people who buys a famous painting and throws in on a fire "because I own it and I can do what I like with it". We have to be custodians of history, as much as possible.

Hmm... very true. I guess I will rule out tailoring it then (as it seems to be risky and destructive). Thank you for your reply.

Peacoat

Bartender
Oh I see, Thanks for your reply. I am a size 36 but as I have been exercising regularly I expect my size to go up a bit ( Is this a wrong assumption to make? I am not very aware of sizing.). Also if I want it to fit snug with a sweater should I size up, or size down? Again, Thank you for the reply it was very helpful.

For more info about these coats, go to the following link. It is also in a sticky at the top of this page. There is a section on sizing toward the end of the guide.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Peacoat,
I guess the spring and summer vacation from this forum is over. It's now back to peacoat time. I should be dragging my coats out of the moth ball closet pretty soon. It's supposed to go down to 39 in a few days up here in New York.

Cooperson

One Too Many
For more info about these coats, go to the following link. It is also in a sticky at the top of this page. There is a section on sizing toward the end of the guide.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Sneash - Definitely read Peacoat's (Mr Peacoat to me) sticky, it is gold dust! All you need to know Peacoat dating and sizing is there. On a personal note and from experience, I would add that not all pea coats have identical measurements for their stated size. I would definitely ask a seller for all the important dimensions ( chest, shoulders, sleeve and back length) before I agreed to buy - it could prevent a costly mistake.

David Minton

New in Town
It's nice to see this thread still going strong. Peacoat weather is just starting here in North Carolina, and the deals on eBay are drying up.

I don't think I have been here in a while, but I have been buying coats, though the collection hasn't grown much as I have given away a bunch. During the summer I'll make $25 bids on pre 1966 coats, and get deals from time to time. I will fix and replace missing buttons, and a good lint brushing, and then give them as gifts to friends and family. I think I have every size from 32-42 in my closet, so I can do a fitting before hunting for a coat. The larger sizes have been pricey: picked up an early WWII era (cotton lining) size 44 last year, and a Naval Clothing Depot (late 1940s) size 46 a couple of days ago.

The only interesting purchase was a WAVES coat for my wife. She has very narrow shoulders, so men's coats won't fit well, not even the size 32 I bought (it will go to my son when he gets old enough). The coat is similar to a bridge coat, but cut a little differently, and has one fewer set of buttons. The buttons on this one are the 50-ligne “traditional” fouled anchor buttons. I am not sure if they are original to the coat, as I have not found much information on it. It may have originally had the 35 or 40-ligne black plastic buttons (that look like the brass buttons on a bridge or refer) that were used on some other WAVES garments, but I'm not sure.

This week I'm wearing a late WWII size 38-40 coat, which is my favorite.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
It's nice to see this thread still going strong. Peacoat weather is just starting here in North Carolina, and the deals on eBay are drying up.

I don't think I have been here in a while, but I have been buying coats, though the collection hasn't grown much as I have given away a bunch. During the summer I'll make $25 bids on pre 1966 coats, and get deals from time to time. I will fix and replace missing buttons, and a good lint brushing, and then give them as gifts to friends and family. I think I have every size from 32-42 in my closet, so I can do a fitting before hunting for a coat. The larger sizes have been pricey: picked up an early WWII era (cotton lining) size 44 last year, and a Naval Clothing Depot (late 1940s) size 46 a couple of days ago.

The only interesting purchase was a WAVES coat for my wife. She has very narrow shoulders, so men's coats won't fit well, not even the size 32 I bought (it will go to my son when he gets old enough). The coat is similar to a bridge coat, but cut a little differently, and has one fewer set of buttons. The buttons on this one are the 50-ligne “traditional” fouled anchor buttons. I am not sure if they are original to the coat, as I have not found much information on it. It may have originally had the 35 or 40-ligne black plastic buttons (that look like the brass buttons on a bridge or refer) that were used on some other WAVES garments, but I'm not sure.

This week I'm wearing a late WWII size 38-40 coat, which is my favorite.

Were you thinking of selling that size 46? I'm a size 46.

David Minton

New in Town
Were you thinking of selling that size 46? I'm a size 46.

Sorry, I hope it will be a gift for a friend who served in the Navy in the 1960's. Like many old sailors, his issue peacoat seemed to have shrunk over the last fifty or so years, and doesn't fit anymore.

For kicks I went through the closet to check, and my wife and I have 12 peacoats and 4 bridge coats between us. The number surprised me, but I remember buying most of them. Is that too many?

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Sorry, I hope it will be a gift for a friend who served in the Navy in the 1960's. Like many old sailors, his issue peacoat seemed to have shrunk over the last fifty or so years, and doesn't fit anymore.

For kicks I went through the closet to check, and my wife and I have 12 peacoats and 4 bridge coats between us. The number surprised me, but I remember buying most of them. Is that too many?

I have 10 myself. My wife has 2 which she never wears, and my son has 1.

Big J

Call Me a Cab

Bridge coats! Where can I get one of those?

David Minton

New in Town
Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Toronto, eh? I'm trying to figure out where you took that photo.

Awesome coat. I looked for a kersey wool one last year but never found one that seemed worth buying. Consider yourself lucky!

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Thanks, it's actually Old Montreal! :)

I actually lucked out and found an unissued USN 1962 era peacoat on Etsy. Pulled the trigger and have never been happier!

CJBianco

New in Town
Hello, gentlemen. I've searched the threads and cannot find the answer to my question. Does anyone know the date range that Pembroke, Inc. had a contract for the US Navy pea coat?

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner