Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

You are very fortunate to have found, not one, but two of the post war models in size 50. Odd there were no other bidders. Lounge member @Spoonbelly also fits in the big boy sizes. I think his are sizes 46 and 48.

2. Bushwalker

Bushwalker New in Town

There is a size 42 USN reefer coat on ebay right now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.hk/ulk/itm/142706060135

3. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Two things immediately struck me about this listing. First she is listing it as a WWII coat. Well, it isn't. Clearly it is a c. 1950 peacoat, probably a 1953 peacoat. Secondly she says she estimates it as a 42 long. The tag clearly states that it is a size 42 with no indication that it is a long size. Not sure long sizes were even produced back then. When dealing with Bay sellers, buyers beware. But, all of that aside, it might be a very nice peacoat.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Sad thing is, I lost some weight last year and now I’m back to being a size 46 or 48. I also have a 1978 coat in size 48. It’s serviceable...even though it fits a bit loosely...but it’s nowhere near as nice as my 1950s peacoats.

AF

5. w126c

w126c New in Town

The "Z" stitch.

Regards, Screenshot_2018-03-03-12-46-40.png

6. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

The question of why peacoats could be buttoned either to the left or the right on the pre 1966 coats has arisen in the past, but we have never had a completely satisfactory answer. Well, board member @SpeedRcrX has come up with what I think is the definitive answer. She posted in another thread in which the question was discussed. Below I have quoted her post in the other thread:

I'm coming back to this thread because I may have some explanations about the buttons on both sides.
    The company Dalmard Marine, one of the older manufacturer still in activity in France (1922) used to make buttons on both sides on their peacoats (Cabans in French).
    It was to protect against the wind.
    When the sailors were on boat, they could button up on the right side or the left depending if the wind was coming from the port or starboard side.

Edit: Apparently Dalmard is still making buttons on both side.

https://www.dalmardmarine.com/en/

Thank you @SpeedRcrX for posting this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    clarinetplayer likes this.
  7. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

I recently picked up a WWII peacoat with some lining tears at the collar.

It needed dry cleaning, but due to some miscommunication at the dry cleaners, they never did the job.

So I decided to clean it myself. I only lightly sprayed it in sections using a mix of water/Ivory soap, blotted it dry and allowed any damp areas to air dry. No sections were soaked or anything like that. The coat now feels much cleaner and smells lust musty.

The coat seemed to fit nicely (snug but not uncomfortable) before the cleaning. However, it now feels very snug at the chest/waist. I took out my tape measure and was surprised to see the chest now measures 19.5" instead of the 20" pre-cleaning. It also looks like I lost about .5" in the sleeve length. I'm usually very particular about how I measure my coats/jackets and don't get odd variations like this over time.

This might be an odd question, but is it possible that by hand-cleaning my coat, I inadvertently shrunk it slightly?

This doesn't seem possible, because these coats were made to get wet in the elements. Or maybe I've gained some weight over the past few weeks?

8. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

I wouldn't think what you did would cause the coat to shrink. And yes, the coats would frequently get wet. They offer rain protection in a light rain, but after a deluge, they will allow water to get inside.

9. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

My measurements must've been off. Or it was all those hot dogs and burgers I've had at the family BBQs lately.

clarinetplayer likes this.
  10. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Hey all!
    Found a peacoat at a thrift store today, not sure if it's issue or civilian repro. My instinct says civilian. Definitely of more modern make. So, the question is, did Jay Dee Sportswear ever have a government contract?
    Thanks.

11. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Here's a pic of the label, inside of the inner pocket.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad pic.