Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Jonacki

Jonacki New in Town

Good day to all and particularly Mr. Peacoat. What a fantastic forum - an incredible wealth of information. Thanks so much to all the contributors. So I took the leap and purchased both a current issue and a vintage peacoat. Seeing is believing. Both are terrific, but oh my gosh, the vintage coat (which appears to have been manufactured between 1949-1953 based on the dating guide)” and the label in the coat) is downright amazing! By far the best wool coat I’ve ever seen and what a great fit at size 42 (the current issue is also a 42 and fits similar to the vintage, although the vintage fits better in my opinion). Wish I’d taken the leap earlier. Still can’t believe the vintage coat is in the terrific condition it is in (appears to have been hardly worn), and for only $40! Half the price of the used issue coat I also purchased. The kersey wool is amazing - warm and weather repellant). Every time I’ve worn the vintage coat I’ve received a constant stream of compliments (including some very kind comments from a veteran from the 40s and 50s who noticed that the coat was vintage and like what he wore in the early 50s - the only difference being that the coat I have has the small shield on the sleeve for the Coast Guard). So these comments are worthless without at lease one photo, and I’ll try to get some posted soon. Thanks again and all the best!

davyjones007 and Gamma68 like this.
  2. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Yes, and that is on the outside of the coat.

EmergencyIan likes this.
  3. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Glad those coats fit you. The Coast Guard peacoats are identical to the Navy versions, but for the small shield on the right sleeve. The vintage should be just a little better fit than the current issue, but you are right, they fit about the same.

4. Spoonbelly

Spoonbelly One of the Regulars

I bought a WWII Coast Guard coat a few years ago. I think it was a size 44, but fit me a tinch small. I resold it on ebay. The Kersey material on that coat was incredible - velvet like, very dense, and very strong. . It was even nicer then my vintage Navy coats. Definitely a different batch of material as compared to my vintage Navy coats. I also have one WWII coat which has great Kersey material, but still not the same as that Coast Guard coat.

5. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Don't tell that to the Navy. . .

6. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

I wonder if it's possible to pin this thread for the winter season since it's one of this forum's most popular threads.

7. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Interesting. I have found the 1949 coats have the denser, more velvet like finish than the other years, but I haven't seen any CG coats to compare the finishes.

As the tags are the same, I would think the same manufacturers made them and obtained the fabric from the same source as the Navy coats. As far as I know, the only differences in the Navy coats and the CG coats are the embroidered CG emblem on the right sleeve.

8. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Was that emblem a badge that was sewn on or was it actually embroidered to the coat's sleeve?

9. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

I've never seen one in the wild, but I have seen pictures of them and have seen descriptions of them.

The impression I have is that they were embroidered on the sleeve and not sewn on. One guy didn't like it, and wanted to remove it, but said that would be difficult because it appeared to be embroidered on the sleeve.

10. Spoonbelly

Spoonbelly One of the Regulars

Peacoat,
    It was a few years ago (5-7) but I'm pretty sure the inside tag on the WWII CG coat was different then the Navy WWII coat. I'm pretty sure it stated "Coast Guard" on it as opposed to "Naval Clothing Factory".
    It also did not have the little emblem on the sleeve. The tag however was definitely different then the Navy WWII coat. I agree with you on the material of the 1949 coats. I had one but resold it on ebay as I bought it for my wife and that didn't work out. If I remember correctly the material on the 1949 Navy coat and the WWII CG were both superior but still not the same. The CG coat was more like velvet. The '49 was thick, and heavy yet soft.

11. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

@Spoonbelly: I wish you had taken a picture of that tag. If you should run across another one, please do so.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  12. ZenEdge

ZenEdge New in Town

Gentlemen, I have been searching for the elusive kersey wool peacoat in a size 40 Long or 40 Extra Long since, well, for a really long time and came upon this one, but the label does not resemble any labels I have seen in the past. What do you think? Is it the real thing?

It reads COAT MN'S. WL. KERSEY BLUE PEACOAT
    CONT. NO.9167 FSN.8405-727-5643
    100% WOOL
    DSA, DPSC, DIR. OF MFG. s-l1600.jpg

13. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

That one has me stumped as well, on several different levels. Looks like nothing I have seen before.

I would take a chance on it and see what you get in the mail. Might be a nice Kersey coat.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  14. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Another reason to get this one is I don't think I have seen a long or extra long in the Kersey. Perhaps in the mid to late 70s, but I just don't remember. I think this label is legitimate, even though I haven't seen it before (and I have seen thousands of them). You would have a one of a kind label. That alone should be worth at least $100.

So jump on it and let us know what you get.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  15. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Practically Family

I was just looking at the label before I read your responses. I agree that it looks legit. That was my first impression. However, my other first impression was: What the hell is this?

It will be interesting to find out what he gets.

- Ian

Peacoat likes this.
  16. ZenEdge

ZenEdge New in Town

Thank you gentlemen for your prompt replies to my inquiry. I am deciding between this coat and a couple of others. From what I read in your Peacoat Dating Guide, if I understand correctly, peacoats prior to 1980 were made of kersey wool with the exception of one contract in the '70s that specified melton wool and that fact would be noted on the label. Do I have that right? I've seen several '70s era peacoats that do not specify the type of wool. So, is it safe to assume they are kersey?

17. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

It has been my experience that all contracts that specify Melton are so noted on the label. Doesn't mean there isn't the odd miscreant running around out there that I don't know about, but this is a good rule of thumb.

18. ZenEdge

ZenEdge New in Town

Did the US Navy specify the type of wool to be used? And if all peacoats were required to be manufactured to the same military specifications, wouldn't that imply all contractors had to use the same type of wool, whether it was kersey wool or melton wool?

davyjones007 likes this.
  19. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Yes and yes. The contracts were (and are) very specific about not only the type of wool to be used in the shell but also everything else about the peacoat.

davyjones007 likes this.
  20. ZenEdge

ZenEdge New in Town

So, one contractor could not decide to use melton wool while another contractor opted to use kersey wool in the making of their peacoats? They would both to have use the same type of wool that was specified for that year.