Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Dudley

Familiar Face
Actually, it is 15, or was 15. 8 of them are missing. I have about 40 coats overall.

I had a closet breakdown some time back, and the missing coats may be hidden under the coats that collapsed. Haven't had the energy to dig through everything yet.
That is funny. I had a collapse on my hat rack, where I had hung three jackets overnight. They are heavy, and you forget the torque they create.

spotmark

Familiar Face
I got my first peacoat in high school. No longer have that particular coat nor the car. I don't know what happened to that coat, but I replaced it with the 1973 coat I still have. Having recently dropped sixty pounds I was able to fit into it again. Unfortunately, my son has been wearing it in previous years and seems to think it's his. I bought another one before finding Peacoat's guide and I ended up with a 1990. An authentic coat but newer than preferred. Since reading the guide, and now knowing all about them, I got the bug for a WWII coat. So, now I have acquired a WWII coat, a 1950, and a 1966 as well. The WWII coat is in absolutely beautiful condition. I'm dropping it at the tailor today, just to have the buttons tightened up and a small seam separation sewn up. I love the tighter fit of the WWII coat. I plan on making it my daily driver.

Attachments

• Mark with Black Chevelle.jpg
    Mark with Black Chevelle.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Kfz

Familiar Face
Actually, it is 15, or was 15. 8 of them are missing. I have about 40 coats overall.

I had a closet breakdown some time back, and the missing coats may be hidden under the coats that collapsed. Haven't had the energy to dig through everything yet.

Kfz

Familiar Face
I got a seemingly 1972 Naval Pea coat with Melton wool. The fabric feels dry and not as soft as the modern Melton wool blend , such as Kelvin Cl. Is that normal for the 70s pea coat ? Or l just got an odd one?

Attachments

• 819C9613-0216-4394-B32F-065E7CE61411.jpeg
    819C9613-0216-4394-B32F-065E7CE61411.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
  • 3A99E284-536B-40E9-A5E0-585332660FDE.jpeg
    3A99E284-536B-40E9-A5E0-585332660FDE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72

Kfz

Familiar Face
I got a seemingly 1972 Naval Pea coat with Melton wool. The fabric feels dry and not as soft as the modern Melton wool blend , such as Kelvin Cl. Is that normal for the 70s pea coat ? Or l just got an odd one?
Will the US naval pea coat w 100% Melton wool in 80s and 90s softer? As soft as the current wool coat in mall?

spotmark

Familiar Face
My 1973 is a Melton coat from the Pembroke Coat Company. It's closer in consistency to the Kersey jackets of the day than it is to my 1990 Melton coat.

Last edited:

Dudley

Familiar Face
Interesting. I have a 73 with Kersey. I would like to know more about that supply chain.

Attachments

• s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 62

Dudley

Familiar Face
Nice. Here is a pic of the Kersey. I wish we could have these jackets side by side. This one is very nice but too big for me.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 78

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Hi all, I hope everyone is well. I've lurked around for awhile but have now created an account. @Peacoat posts seemingly got me obsessed with peacoats and I decided to take the plunge in learning all about them. I have now done vast amounts of research but still don't think I've got the sizing right. I bought a peacoat off of eBay in size 38 and it happens to be prestine. If I dated it right, it is from 1966 given it has a DSA number with no year. Fast-forward to today, I've received it and I think I look weird. My chest measures 36 or so inches, I'm 5'9" and 140 pounds. Everything seems to fit perfect until you get to the shoulders which seems boxy on me and it makes the upper part of my body appear weird. Did I mess up? Can you guys help me size the next one?

Cheers

Hi all, I hope everyone is well. I've lurked around for awhile but have now created an account. @Peacoat posts seemingly got me obsessed with peacoats and I decided to take the plunge in learning all about them. I have now done vast amounts of research but still don't think I've got the sizing right. I bought a peacoat off of eBay in size 38 and it happens to be prestine. If I dated it right, it is from 1966 given it has a DSA number with no year. Fast-forward to today, I've received it and I think I look weird. My chest measures 36 or so inches, I'm 5'9" and 140 pounds. Everything seems to fit perfect until you get to the shoulders which seems boxy on me and it makes the upper part of my body appear weird. Did I mess up? Can you guys help me size the next one?

Cheers
Post a fit pic! The shoulders are square on these coats, like a suit coat. They also have a small bit of padding in the seam to square them off, like these two 10 buttons:
31086220-36C7-4ECE-891D-2BFD65508F5B.jpeg
E4E1FAE6-5983-4CB5-8070-0C103B56296A.jpeg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've just gone through this experience last month. Generally, the advice seems is that you size down. In my case, I bought a late-70s pea coat, pristine kersey with pewter buttons, in a 36. It was fine around the chest and arms, but in the end I felt it was too boxy around the shoulders and just on the long side, so I traded it for a 34 from the same period, which is absolutely spot on. Gotta say, you get a lot of jacket for not too much money with vintage pea coats. Not sure why anyone bothers shelling out £££ for repros.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
I've just gone through this experience last month. Generally, the advice seems is that you size down. In my case, I bought a late-70s pea coat, pristine kersey with pewter buttons, in a 36. It was fine around the chest and arms, but in the end I felt it was too boxy around the shoulders and just on the long side, so I traded it for a 34 from the same period, which is absolutely spot on. Gotta say, you get a lot of jacket for not too much money with vintage pea coats. Not sure why anyone bothers shelling out £££ for repros.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? If uncomfortable with that it is okay.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
I’m 5’11 205lbs and I “think” mine are a 42”. Your jacket looks superb! What’s the issue?
Thanks @ton312 . I am a terrible judge of myself and hyper critical of my fits. It would probably help if I put a sweater and some jeans on but at first glance it appeared just slightly too big/long.

You could certainly size down for a trimmer fit but these aren’t the type of thing you wear with just a t shirt. Room for some degree of layers is essential!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ