Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions for Paddy on getting an Aero

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
Now that is a beauty, much nicer IMHO than the first one you posted. If you're not particularly interested in military wear (and I get the impression from your photos and from when we met at the Lounge Dinner last year that you're not) that last jacket would be far more suitable.

They are some great points Salv; I have been scouring the site and thinking about the above. I found this jacket (a "Highwayman" with Fur Collar - Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide ):

FURCOLLAR(c).JPG

but I don't think it's quite as nice as the "1950's Half Belt" Fur Collar - Heavy FQ Horsehide

551S(c).JPG

Now, I need to think inside linings....

Salv

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
They are some great points Salv; I have been scouring the site and thinking about the above. I found this jacket (a "Highwayman" with Fur Collar - Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide ):

but I don't think it's quite as nice as the "1950's Half Belt" Fur Collar - Heavy FQ Horsehide

Now, I need to think inside linings....

Yep, I think the Half Belt is a nicer looking jacket too - I prefer the plain waist. As for lining material, I've got a FQHH Barnstormer with the cotton drill lining and the combination is very warm. The leather is wind- and waterproof and even in the cold snap we had in south-east England recently I never felt cold in my jacket. Unless winters in Dublin are considerably colder than in London I don't think you'll need a heavier lining.

What about the colour? My Barnstormer is in the cordovan and it's a stunning colour - I posted some photos of the jacket that show the colour and grain quite well here.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Yes I was thinking of that picture earlier, I ran a search to find it. :)

I like the cordovan, it is a rich color that is a bit out of the ordinary. On the above jacket I prefer the color shown - is it called "russet"?

nerdator

New in Town
time of delivery from aero

hi everybody,
I ordered a half belt from aero. As you can imagine, I am longing to lay my hands on it... and to put myself into it, of course :) Amanda told me something about 4 weeks, but I've been waiting for 5 weeks now. What are your experiences?

Salv

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
I like the cordovan, it is a rich color that is a bit out of the ordinary. On the above jacket I prefer the color shown - is it called "russet"?

I don't know what it's called, but the jacket in that colour is a winner. So is that the final choice?

nerdator said:
hi everybody,
I ordered a half belt from aero. As you can imagine, I am longing to lay my hands on it... and to put myself into it, of course :) Amanda told me something about 4 weeks, but I've been waiting for 5 weeks now. What are your experiences?
My Barnstormer took just over 5 weeks - it was worth the wait, but that extra waiting time was painful.

nerdator

New in Town
another painful week

so I guess there will be another painful week, the worst thing is, it is getting more balmy around here, it is springtime, so my chance of painlessly wearing a heavy horsehide jacket is literally melting away...

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Salv, that's the one. I know that color collar is more ostentatious than the brown mouton, but I just love it!

Salv/Paddy: you guys really helped me out on this one. I know I will be getting a much better and more suitable jacket now than the first one (for my body shape and my non-militaristic interests). Thank you both.

I will sleep on this and contact Amanda on Monday....

:D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Q: Would a '40s Joe have possibly got to wear [an M-422] on the streets in '41 or '44?
Not a chance. They were the prized prerogative of U.S. Naval Aviators and their crewmen and authorized only for wear on or near flight lines. If for some reason you had to leave the air service prematurely, your jacket was Navy property and not yours to keep.

In short, a 1944 civilian would have had an easier time finding a chainmail vest or a coat of hummingbird pelts to wear around town than a military issue flight jacket. And even if he did manage to get hold of one, wearing it without having earned the right to do so would probably have resulted in physical assault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo