Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions for the G-1 collectors

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
This is for those who have knowledge of the navy G-1. I'm in Tokyo right now and I have seen several which I believe to be originals from at least the 50s or 60s to judge by the general wear and nice patina on the leather. My question is in regards to price. The ones that I looked at were about $500 in good condition. No rips,good knits and supple leather. Is this a good price? Should I wait for the auction deal which might be possible or buy here?

On other fronts...I've already seen shops loaded with Buzz Rickson and The Few. Fantastic stuff....if I only had a couple grand to spare!:cry:

Thanks for reading this....for now, Sayonara! Sefton

falcodriver

New in Town
Hi Sefton.

$500 is some tall money for a G-1. Frankly, it would have to be a large size, 44 or better in primo shape to be worth that. I have dealt with a lot of m422's, and G-1's, and $500 is up there. By knowing the year and the maker, I could give you a better feel on pricing. I think you'll probably find plenty of auction deals over time that will be better by far. My2cents, ( and worth every penny!)

Duane

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Yeah, $500 is a lot for a G-1. If the label says M-422a then it's wartime, or if it says Type G-1 and the contract no. is 55J14 or 7823(Aer) then those are late 40's/early 50's jackets and worth a bit more, but there are a lot of L.W. Foster 7823(Aer)'s around, it was a big contract. I paid ?Ǭ£75 for mine. If it's anything later than a 7823A you are getting into the 60's and definitely not $500's worth. The advantage you have is that you can actually see, feel and examine them and try them on, which you will not get with Ebay. I'd say if you can find a really nice M422a or 55J14 which fits you, and you fall in love with it, hell, go for it-it's different when you're standing there in the shop with it on. I've knowingly paid over the odds for things in shops I know I could get cheaper online, but there's a certain pleasure in buying the thing over the counter in person. Not to mention of course that you can say 'I bought this in Tokyo'. But if it bothers you that with a bit of patience you could find one cheaper on the 'Bay, hang on to your cash. I envy you-always wanted to go to Japan (with plenty of cash in my pocket, of course. Enjoy!

MB17

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I just recently sold a nice early WW2 M422-a on eBay for around $500, which I was quite happy with. Later 'G-1' type jackets can be had for $100 and up, depending on how 'well' the jacket is listed on eBay and how early or late they are-

B
T

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful advice. Although it's mighty tempting I do think that I'll hold off this time and keep looking.Anyway, I just spent $100 for a pair of 13 oz. denim Levis in vintage style (repro) and I am still thinking about buying one of the Buzz Rickson sweatshirts with WWII bomber/fighter group insignia...for about another $100.... I'm gonna have to work some overtime when I get back to the states!;) Thanks again!

Tim P

New in Town
I know the feeling to buy something because its there. hold off seriously.they are not that scarce. a $500 jacket you picked up in japan will soon become a $200 jacket that you paid $500 for.

Aero sells used jackets, which can include G-1's of various vintages from time to time.

The two advantages of dealing with Aero are that you are apt to get a market price and you will get the item described. And it makes a great deal of difference whether the G-1 in question is 1950's vintage or 1970's vintage.

G-1's vary in quality. This is not just a question of patina. Sometime in the 1960's, their materials and workmanship began to decline. A 1950's G-1 may not have the sex appeal of a M-422A, but a well-preserved 1950's G-1 nevertheless would be quite a jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats