Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions from an A2 novice (please do post your pics)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Fellas, I've been buying Aero jackets for years now but have always steered away from their military jackets: I guess I just found them a bit too "dad-looking", for want of a better term. Anyway, whether it's my age (38) or just my all-round Aero addiction, I am now strongly drawn to an A-2 - but I know little about the model. I am leaning towards this pattern, the 38-1711-P, in oil-pull HH, and with this knit colour. (Can anybody confirm what this is, whether it is rust or dark berry?)

Any feedback from A-2 owners and cognoscenti much appreciated. For example, I was drawn to the 38-1711-P because I believe it is the slimmest fitting of Aero A2s but I hear the shoulders are also rather narrow: I am broad-shouldered with a slim waist. Another question: is it possible to get an internal pocket fitted in the jacket or would that ruin the cut?

Any pics of your A-2s, especially of you wearing them, would be really useful.

Sir J

Peacoat

Bartender
Aero ought to be able to do the inside pocket with no problem. In my opinion the better of the two pocket types is the G-1 pocket, also known as a pistol pocket. Access to this pocket is easier (vertical access) than with the standard map pocket (horizontal). And no, it won't affect the cut of the jacket. The pocket won't be visible from the exterior of the jacket.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Original 1938 Aeros were only made in russet/caramel hh, not the seal as in the Aero picture. They had mid brown knits, not the berry ones found on three of Aero's wartime contracts. The '38 is a trim fitting jacket as many pre-war A2s were. If you want an inside pocket buy an Eastman Monarch from the 352nd Fighter Group as they had rigger fitted canvass pockets fitted. http://www.eastmanleather.com/index.php?cPath=42 Apart from these Monarchs as an A2 purist I would never fit an internal pocket on an A2. You could always buy an M422A or a G-1 if you want this feature!

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,
That could just be a hybrid...a modified G-1. If you want the bi-swing back & false half belt feature of the the G-1, just ask for a G-1 without the collar fur, etc. I'm sure they can modify other features (lining, etc.) as you want them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic