Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick!!! Pink shirt and grey fedora, how to coordinate both!

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Right new years eve here folks, just got a cool pink shirt for next to nowt (nothing to those of you without a Yorkshire cultural upbringing) and going to wear it with my grey fedora but what colour tie and what colour trousers folks. Make it quick, times running out.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
If you must wear the pink shirt, then go with grey or black trousers. As long as the shirt is a solid colour (note how I translated the spelling, there!), any tie pattern should work as long as it has the correct shade of pink somewhere in the pattern. That's the real trick, finding a tie with the right shade of pink. Hope the shops haven't closed yet!

vespasian

One of the Regulars
The little so and so's theyve all locked up and gone home. No consideration.

Not sure if I have a tie with pink in it. If I go with black trousers, will the grey fedora look a bit odd? What do yer reckon folks.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Pink don't go with much. I think I'll go the white shirt, black trousers, black skinny tie, black shoes route...black suit jacket. Kinda Buddy Holly sorta thing. But hey, who the hell am I?

I'm not doing much, dinner with the wife and some close friends, and then back home in time to watch the Ball drop. Then off to beddy bye...

Easy!

Grey suit, preferably close to charcoal. Virtually any blue tie will go with grey + pink, so long as the blue is "true" or veers slightly toward the purple end. Avoid aqua and other green/blues.

Black is OK with pale pinks, but gets a bit Vegas if the pink is too rich.

Have a great time!

Sardou

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Reckon I have it. Shirt, black suit with tie the same colour as the band on my trusty grey fedora. Not tried it on yet, but interesting to picture in my head. Ill have a beer tonight or perhaps a tot of bubbly and toast the fedora hat.

By the way folks, quick nip round the shops tonight revealed Burtons, high street retailer selling mens trilbys in black pinstripe, TopMan selling grey trilbys and most of the girls shops had some natty little female versions of the fed and other hats in stock. The times they are a changin'

maintcoder

A-List Customer
If it is a light pink shirt, you can wear a dark gray suit (or just slacks, if you choose) and a maroon tie as long as it has gray in it. I have a light pink shirt that looks fantastic with a dark gray doublebreasted suit and I pair it with a maroon tie with a gray geometric design on it. It never fails to receive compliments.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Pink shirts look great with brown suits.

Pink works with grey and brown very nicely. If you had a deep chocolate brown suit and overcoat, with the grey fedora, it would work. A tie with some grey or brown or blue in it (preferably a rep stripe with all or some) would pull it together nicely. Brown shoes only with this.

You're in the UK where men (at least in London) tend to be more adventuresome with their pairings of color and pattern than in the US. There are some tremendous dressers there, men with real style.

Harry Lime

Think Michael Howard. he may be an ass, but he can dress quite well. Light blue with pink works pretty well. If you have a light grey or blue suit, that would work:

michael~howard.jpg

poor guy:

steve512.jpg

bk

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Sadly my grey suit is now a thing of two parts, as I grew out of the bottom half by two inches:rolleyes: However they will be calling to a Tailor nearby for a bit of extending. This leaves me a bit limited on the bottom half. The only grey trousers I have for this look are a bit too pale so its black trousers or jeans (not blue of course). Think it'll have to be black trousers with the tie blending to the hat. By the way, this forum is better than my wife for opinions. She's a lovely woman but tends to shy from anything outside the mainstream until she sees it on someone else then she's confident for me to be in it. Awwww.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I like the idea. Could you pass me one? Doh! I aint got one of them. Im going to have to dart in the house, iron the pink shirt, chuck on my trousers and shoes, then try about a dozen ties on in a minute flat, then out the door, across the road, in the house, grab my first drink and probably fall asleep before midnight comes. That'll be 2006 for me :rolleyes:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I would not (and do not) hesitate to wear a pink shirt with grey, black or navy suit or sport coat. The tie can be any coordinating colors, but should have a darker red in it. I like the maroon tie suggestion above.

Example: pink shirt, navy suit, tie in maroon and navy rep stripe. Classic. Grey hat will coordinate with any of these colors.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
There was a great shot of Bruce McGill in Cinderella Man where he was wearing a dark grey pinstripe suit with a light pink shirt. And if memory serves me correctly he was festooned with a dark navy polka dot tie. I could be mistaken though. But grey & pink go well together.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart