Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quickly fell out of love with a leather jacket...what should I do?

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
It was a US Authentic Sportster with alterations done to it.

I think it's drum dyed, and the finish of the leather does not have that vegetable tanned feel to it. It's bulky and not particularly warm. Bought it with the intention of wearing it every day, but at this point it feels like useless armour to me.

Throw it in the wash and see what happens? It seems like an extraneous material possession at this point.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You'd be surprised how your tastes can change. Quite a few jackets I've regretted selling. However, if you're sure it's not a keeper, out it goes...

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
In a similar way, I have struggled with the expense of my jacket. Do I really need to be wearing a jacket that costs upward of $1000? I'm not wealthy, rather a middle-income average joe. But, the money has already been spent so I try to just forget the investment and wear it anyway. Judging by the apparent life span these things have, it should last well over 10 years. With that in mind, a little over $100/yr doesn't seem quite as controversial. I just hope that 10 years from now my body has similar dimensions.

AdeeC

Practically Family
In a similar way, I have struggled with the expense of my jacket. Do I really need to be wearing a jacket that costs upward of $1000? I'm not wealthy, rather a middle-income average joe. But, the money has already been spent so I try to just forget the investment and wear it anyway. Judging by the apparent life span these things have, it should last well over 10 years. With that in mind, a little over $100/yr doesn't seem quite as controversial. I just hope that 10 years from now my body has similar dimensions.

Assuming your jacket remains popular and an esteemed brand you should still reasonably expect at least $300 back on a $1000 dollar jacket in ten years if it remains in good nick.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
You could also look for a trade. A little more difficult maybe, but you have your jacket now, you know what dimensions work and what doesn't, and like you said, the money is already spent. You could throw it out there in classifieds and see what you get. In regard to the $, I think you have to change your mind set from how much it would have been in your kids 529 college plan..otherwise you'll be too guilty to wear it.

Besides...my 9 year old son is already eyeing my collection. He seems to have a vested interest in my Vanson in Octagon....

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
Pictures would be very helpful here.
Hmmm, not sure if you need me to take my own specific pictures

https://www.flightjacket.com/the-sportster.html

in the same colour as this russet jacket

https://www.flightjacket.com/a2-jacket.html
I'm unclear why you're disappointed. Fit, warmth, style or hide quality?​
Warmth definitely. It feels like a heavy, stiff jacket with just a cotton lining, it's about as warm as a light hoodie. I'm more likely to wear those currently trendy imitation M-65 jackets when I just need a light outer layer.

Style/Hide Quality is the main one though. The exterior feels painted on and very plasticky. For some reason I was expecting a jacket that would have a patina eventually, but that won't happen with this one.

Any way to ADD a patina?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
An A-2 wasn't really designed to keep the wearer toasty. It was meant as a summer jacket for pilots. Leather is great wind breaker but it's the lining that dictates a jacket's warmth.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think the OP has a "Sportster" rather than an A-2 in russet brown that is very similar to a Cafe Racer. I suspect what he has is a summer jacket / windbreaker not designed for cold weather. The jacket below but in russet brown rather than black. I suspect some Lounge member would jump on this as this style jacket is very popular here.

image.png

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
time and wear will make it better, if you're patient.
the only jacket I ever bought online fit rather boxy when new (MTM by local company) and the color was not what I imagined maybe due to monitor setting
only after 2 yrs, 1 downpour, several drizzles, routine morning walk in the sun, and 1 machine washed, I come to love it, fit much better now, and the color also changed in places because of the sun and rain.

IXL

One Too Many
I think the OP has a "Sportster" rather than an A-2 in russet brown that is very similar to a Cafe Racer. I suspect what he has is a summer jacket / windbreaker not designed for cold weather. The jacket below but in russet brown rather than black. I suspect some Lounge member would jump on this as this style jacket is very popular here.

View attachment 43179

Oh heck yes!

Also, leather is a very poor insulator. Thick leather is just as poor. If one wants to wear leather and one wants to be warm, buy with a roomy enough fit to allow truly insulating layers to be worn underneath, good quality B3s being excepted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo