Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P. Charles Lane

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Character actor Charles Lane passes at 102. And now I'm kicking myself. I'd written Robert Osborne just a couple of weeks ago saying this is someone he should do an interview on TCM with, and I had just gathered up all my DVD covers with movies he appeared in (and it's a huge stack!) to send down since he would gladly autograph anything his fans sent in.

You may not know the name, but you'd definitely know the face and probably the voice - one of the reporters in the license office in Arsenic and Old Lace, It's a Wonderful Life - his list of film and television credits is long and extensive, stretching back to 1931 and includes many Golden Era and film noir classics. And he survived the San Francisco earthquake, and several biggies in Los Angeles as well.

There may have been more recognizable famous names in the history of Hollywood, but I don't think anyone had as long & extensive a career. A sad day for movies...

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Sad news, but a long and fruitful life's work. He was in everything, 22 different movies in 1940 alone - granted many of the appearances are uncredited, but there he is....

dv

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
clanec.jpg

Oh that's him...

Born Charles Levinson, he had to change his name for show biz reasons, but only once he started getting screen credits. Here's a quick précis of his film work...a long litany of reporters, collection men, lawyers, judges, storekeepers and front desk clerks. He's probably best remembered as the Internal Revenue agent in You Can't Take It With You.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And not to forget his latter-day fame as the mean old man of Hooterville, the scowling nasty Homer Bedloe, on "Petticoat Junction" in the mid-60s. There was probably nobody in the history of film better at playing Mean Old Men.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Wow, 102 is pretty good. Especially considering that he never seemed you. He was a classic "Oh, I know him. What's his name?" actor. For generations he would pop into a movie or show be completely dry and wonderful and leave you going "where else have I seen that guy?".
R.I.P.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
He smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 70 years, quitting only when he became short of breath :eusa_doh:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
102 did you say?

Tomasso said:
He smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 70 years, quitting only when he became short of breath :eusa_doh:

...and no candy cigarrettes for him either... [huh]
I don't know what's the world coming to .... ;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Wow. He was much-interviewed by our beloved Saturday Night at the Movies program here in Ontario (on TVO). Obviously a great interview because a) he was still around to be interviewed long after many were not, and b) he was in so many movies and worked with so many poeple.

102 is a good long life and he had a great career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21