Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren sport coat -men or ladies?

Jacket works? (see bottom)

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Depends where you wear it, and what with.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jerekson

One Too Many
I picked up a really unique, really nice, really vintage RL sport coat this morning. I love it and it fits me like a dream, but a friend of mine took one look at it and insisted that I had picked up a woman's jacket by mistake. She says that the fit is too tailored looking. I explained that that's how vintage is supossed to fit, but she says there's just something else about it.

That being said, there are some interesting features on this jacket that fog clarification of the men's style...first of all, the sleeves are cuffed (like pant cuffs).

It is a one-button jacket with the button on the LEFT. Is this a possible sign of feminine influence? Or is it simply a less common feature? I don't know anything about women's suits so I've not the slightest.

The tag on the inside says "8". Is this a women's size?

Please help me figure it out. Because if I were to strut around town wearing a woman's jacket I don't know if I could live with myself.
If it looks like a women's suit to some people I could care less. But if it actually is, well...

If it is a woman's jacket it has very heavy masculine features...huge shoulders, men's drape, double vents in the back, really beefy lapels and a golden "old sailor man" button.

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow if you think it would help.

Please help me out. Ty.

Jer

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Sorry, but I agree, probably a woman's coat. I've never heard of cuffed sleves on a man's coat, but I have seen them on women's coats. On the plus side, you can always use it as a valentine's gift.[huh]

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Yeah, I guess you're right, cuffed sleeves have existed on men's jackets, but I usually see them on women's casual jackets, usually with sleeves that come down just to the mid fore-arm. Three-quarter length sleeves I believe their called? Anyways, I'd say the fact that it closes the wrong way is probably a tell-tale sign of a woman's jacket.

Cuffed sleeves very much a mod style. Button on left a sure sign of women's garment. If it fits, wear with pride. I've worn, and wear, women's jackets similar to what you describe: Masculine in cut, but distictly feminine, as that is used today. Read: shaped waistline, shorter jacket skirt, generally more elegant lines when compared to the kind of garbage Ralph Lauren typically peddles for the male market.)

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here's an option.

Have a tailor remove the button and put a buttonhole in its place. You can now change the direction of the closure of the coat by using two buttons linked together (think double sided cufflinks) to close the coat. It's actually a Golden Era buttoning option; all my father's DJ's employed this feature. (It has a sartorial name but I can't recall it for the life of me. :( )

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Have a tailor remove the button and put a buttonhole in its place. You can now change the direction of the closure of the coat by using two buttons linked together (think double sided cufflinks) to close the coat. It's actually a Golden Era buttoning option; all my father's DJ's employed this feature. (It has a sartorial name but I can't recall it for the life of me. :( )

I think it's just called a link front. My morning coat has it, as do most of the 30's repros by Hideki Okasaka. It can be buttoned one side over the other, or with the facing of each side kissing.

b3ps07.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Alright thanks guys, I think that just about narrowed it down.

As mentioned by others...I'm starting to think I could get the jacket modified by a tailor to be more appropriate for me? Besides the button, what else could I do? I was thinking letting down the cuffed sleeves.

If I can get it to look right, then I'll go ahead and do as BK says. I really like the jacket.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Any suggestions as what tailored features will make the jacket more masculine, if I were to take it in?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm voting no, Jer. Too many things going wrong on it. Too short, too big in the shoulders and chest (bust ;) ); button stance and skirt are iffy as well.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Aye, I loved that episode. Never thought I'd be dumb enough to experience the same thing.

I think a poll is in order. As of now we're standing on 1-2, so let's see which.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jerekson said:
a friend of mine took one look at it and insisted that I had picked up a woman's jacket by mistake. She says that the fit is too tailored looking.
As a side note: Your friend will tell everyone in your world that you are wearing a women's coat. Something to consider. [huh]

Jerekson

One Too Many
Alright, alright. I trust you guys.

Ah well, it was worth a shot. I guess I just got excited and snatched it up without looking at it. I've been looking for a good sport coat for ages, and when I found one with peak lapels in herringbone it was too much.

Maybe I can get a manlier clone of it sometime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran