Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raylan's Hat (R.I.P.) & the "Justified" Finale

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
For any fans of the great and just-ended TV series JUSTIFIED, spoilers follow, so you may not want to read this post until you see the finale.

One spoiler was a surprise: Raylan's silverbelly Stetson doesn't survive. The show did an amusing twist on The Hat, and here's actor Timothy Olyphant's equally amusing commentary from a NY Times interview:

Q. Did you keep the hat? [the Stetson]

A. OLYPHANT: No.

Q. It seems like a natural memento.

A. OLYPHANT: What am I gonna do with it?

Q. Put it in your den or something?

A. OLYPHANT: I’ll tell you what I did do: I kept the other hat. [In the finale, Raylan kills a hired gun and takes his hat.] I had that one made for me. I’ve always said let’s kill the hat before we kill Raylan, you know? Elmore never liked the hat. Let’s put a bullet in the hat. Then I thought, I should get another hat, one that I didn’t wear for six years. So then I get a free hat out of the show.

Q. You’re wearing it right now, aren’t you?

A. OLYPHANT: [Laughs.] I wear it everywhere. It’s awesome. It’s got a matchstick in it. It’s a good-looking hat.

(P.S. The "other hat" is a wide-brimmed fedora. As originally worn by the psycho-kid gunslinger, it's got a severe look and flat brim. Once Raylan "adopts" it, it takes on a softer look with more character. I have to say, though, I liked Raylan's own hat better!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24