Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

real mccoy jacket

kojax

Practically Family
i just got my real mccoy a2 jacket size 38 nice jacket but wow to tight that stinks lol. i wonder if a 40 might fit the sales guy told me you will just gain a inch i might try a 42 the jackets really run very samall

JanSolo

Practically Family
If you are used to American made jackets that are manufactured to modern specifications (i.e. "We make everything oversized so that we don't have to tell the average American that he or she is horizontally challenged (euphemism for fat).") no wonder that jacket runs small. The jacket is designed for Japanese customers who are very rarely overweight. I once ordered a The FEW and went with my standard Aero size. In the end the jacket turned out to be way too short in the sleeves and body... it seems they are not meant for the European either...

kojax

Practically Family
i am really slim weight 130 pounds height 5/7 i am 51 years old lol size 38 sport jacket. i thought size 38 would fit. he wants me to try a 40 a-2 jacket.

Edward

Bartender
If you are used to American made jackets that are manufactured to modern specifications (i.e. "We make everything oversized so that we don't have to tell the average American that he or she is horizontally challenged (euphemism for fat).") no wonder that jacket runs small. The jacket is designed for Japanese customers who are very rarely overweight. I once ordered a The FEW and went with my standard Aero size. In the end the jacket turned out to be way too short in the sleeves and body... it seems they are not meant for the European either...

I imagine the typically slighter Asian build has a lot to do with this. Also, judging by all the photos I see from Japan, they seem to like their A2s to fit like a shirt more than a jacket out there, which no doubt exacerbates this effect.

kojax

Practically Family
the real mccoy jacket i got was the japan modle very nice jacket well made. i like it the arms are not big like some jackets i tried here us wings and gibson barnes . the 38 was just to tight for me i only wear a dress shirt with my a2 jacket. they have a 40 and 42 now the guessing game for me lol

JanSolo

Practically Family
If the body was just a little too tight but sleeves and body length were ok I would recommend a size 40. But if the jacket was really tight and uncomfortable a 42 might be better. As I understand there is also less difference between sizes on Japanese models than on European replicas. The whole "grading nest" is tighter and less spread.

kojax

Practically Family
thank you people i will try the size 42 i think the 40 still will tight i will let you know HAPPY THANKSGIVING

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are used to American made jackets that are manufactured to modern specifications (i.e. "We make everything oversized so that we don't have to tell the average American that he or she is horizontally challenged (euphemism for fat).")

So cute to see a German guy criticizing Americans for being fat...

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,2449356,00.html

Looking forward to seeing the Real McCoy jacket here. We don't get to see them often.

jon z

One of the Regulars
I don't think Jan was criticising Americans, more an insight into the manufacturer's thinking behind the sizing of the blousey mall jackets on offer. It's not likely he's gonna pick a fight anyway as Germans have had an unlucky losing streak :)

Back on topic I think it's fair to say in general Asians are of a slighter build than your average Westerner. That said I'm one exception to that rule, being a native Englander of very slight build. So Japanese sourced jackets suit me fine.

Edward

Bartender
Over my dozen years in academia, I have taught a lot of international students, coming to London from places the world over. Certainly the kids from the South East Asian region are typically much slighter. That said, my experience in Beijing has been that folks out there are beginning to get bigger: an unholy mix of Little Emperor syndrome, and the explosion in popularity of Western fast food outlets.

kojax

Practically Family
i am trying the size 42 in the real mccoy a-2 jacket it is coming torrmow i will let you know on the fit. the size 38 was made for a new born lol

JanSolo

Practically Family
I don't think Jan was criticising Americans, more an insight into the manufacturer's thinking behind the sizing of the blousey mall jackets on offer.
Exactly! Why would I want to criticize somebody who wears a size 40 or 42 (Kojax) or any other member on this forum? I was trying say that a lot of American clothing is either oddly cut or fitted with wrong labels. I am not saying that Germans are slimmer than Americans. God knows there are lot of Jabba the Hutts around...my neighbour for a start. But if fat people buy clothing in Germany they can tell by the label in their clothes that they are fat! I've seen American shirts and T-shirts in size M that fit like a tent. On the other hand there are a lot of small American upmarket brands that sell fitted clothing that fits like a glove...

Looking forward to seeing your new jacket. How come it only takes a couple of days for shipping?

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I was trying say that a lot of American clothing is either oddly cut or fitted with wrong labels. I am not saying that Germans are slimmer than Americans.
I've seen American shirts and T-shirts in size M that fit like a tent. On the other hand there are a lot of small American upmarket brands that sell fitted clothing that fits like a glove...

Looking forward to seeing your new jacket. How come it only takes a couple of days for shipping?

Oh man, have you said a mouthful. I think many times it looks like a smaller size fits great on me because some dodo can't figure out which labels to put on the clothes. I've got one jacket marked XL that fits me very well and another one in L that fits on me like a bag. Like you said, I have some large T shirts that fit on me like a coat of paint while some mediums fit on me like the proverbial tent. I think many labels only tell me where to start trying things on. Believe me, I don't need a label to tell me I'm fat or not. I have a bathroom scale, a big mirror and a wife to tell me that.

You guys in the M-L category have it easy. Try being 6-4, 240. Size 14 shoes (and I'm not freaky compared to my daughter's fiancé, who played pro football)
Constant "we don't go that large" or "try a custom shop"
I'm hardly freakish by today's standards, but just jacket alone are a PITA as I've learned.
What bums me out is non-American makers are even (generally) worse. "XXL" or 3XL" are XL at best :(
So, thankfully my income allows me to go the custom route now. Or, finding used, which is rare in my size.

mrc

Familiar Face
I'm a pretty slender guy, so I have struggled with the oversizing that has plagued American fashion since the 80s. What I don't understand is when I see so many men of similar build, who obviously work out and care about how they look, walking around in baggy, misshapen clothing. It irks me that there doesn't seem to be much consumer demand for correct fit.

kojax

Practically Family
i like the look of the real mccoy a-2 jacket one thing i like the best is the arms are not big and huge like the ones from us wings gibson barnes are now big to. i am going with the size 40 with the real mccoy a-2 the fit should be fine the 38 was to tight for me. i hate over sized jacket it drives me crazy lol

I live in Christchurch where they make the Real McCoy jackets and have been fortunate enough to go to the factory and spend some time trying on A2s and G1s.
I have a 39 inch chest and around 150lb and 6 foot and normally wear a 38 suit jacket. I found the size 40 A2 too tight and short and the same size G1 fine in the chest and arms but a touch short.
Also I tried on different contract A2s in a size 40 all had variations in the sleeve length.
The only way for sure is to try them on or give your measurement to Paddy and she will sort you out.
Paddy is great to deal with and very patient.

kojax

Practically Family
that was cool you went to the plant were they make the jackets... i am going with the size 40 my waiste is a 32 the fit should be fine. thank you for your help kojax

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW