Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebash a Stylemaster?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
I am contemplating a Stylemaster as my second fedora and just wondering if you can re-bash it, maybe to a center dent to increase the height of the crown a bit? I have a full, rounder head shape and typically prefer a slightly taller crown but like a wider ribbon for dress hats. I am not afraid of a good dose of steam or water!
Thanks,
Jed

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Come on, somebody has got to have some info on tweaking the crown of the Stylemaster! Is is really stiff like a modern Open Road and will need wet or thoroughly steamed or is it impossible? A little help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jed

dawgvet said:
Come on, somebody has got to have some info on tweaking the crown of the Stylemaster! Is is really stiff like a modern Open Road and will need wet or thoroughly steamed or is it impossible? A little help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jed
I don't think it would be that difficult. I had an older Akubra called a Dallas that had a round telescope crease in it. YEARS later, I soaked it with distilled water & put a Snowy River crease in it with no problem. It was a light tan so there was some fading but you won't have that wit a newer hat. Have you looked at the CEO by Akubra?

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I didn't exactly "rebash" my stylemaster, but I did change the crease some, mostly changing the shape of the side dents. I fooled around with the top, to get a longer teardrop shape, and it changed nicely with a little steam.

There was a pretty pronounced line on top where it had been machine creased, but that went away with a few doses of steam. If I was going to start from scratch and do a center dent, I'd get it wet first.

It's a great hat, I wear mine almost everyday, and in fact, am a little vexed that spring is just around the corner...I feel obligated to get a warm weather hat. I might be going with an Akubra Rink or Capricorn.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
What I have done with pre-creased hats is get a pot of water boiling and steam the crown- as the felt softens, I use the bottom of a small stainless steel mixing bowl to push up on the crown from inside the hat while I work it from the outside with my other hand- massage the felt, so to speak.....eventually, with a good deal of patience and LOTS of steam the crown will be as well-rounded as a regular open-crowned hat- then you can crease it or bash it however you want. I have had very good results using this method.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo