Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recently departed Stetson Frieze

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
This was on the face of the Stetson Bldg at 1224 Chestnut St. Philadelphia,PA until they decided on Stainless and glass late last fall. It measured about 15'x12'.
1224Chestnut.jpg

St.Ignatz said:
This was on the face of the Stetson Bldg at 1224 Chestnut St. Philadelphia,PA until they decided on Stainless and glass late last fall. It measured about 15'x12'.
1224Chestnut.jpg

Boy that is fantastic! Do you know what happened to it? I can't believe anyone would destroy it. Then again ...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Any idea what year that was put up, or when that part of the building was built? It's the version they seem to have started using on their hats in the late '40s or early '50s, not the '30s and before one. Knowing exactly when that part of the factory was built would help narrow it down.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Mays I believe it was just seen as worthless old gingerbread.
Dinerman, that part of the block seems to have gotten their renovations done in the mid 40's to late 50's. Phillyhistory.org has great old shots of the city from the official archives and I check every now and then to see what has been added. That photo was taken by a good friend about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago.

spelling correction

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Beavers: the poster children of their own demise?[huh]

It would be like an oil tanker company putting one of the wild life they inadvertently destroy on their company logo. Like an otter, or any of numerous fish. :p

Chinaski

One Too Many
That frieze puts into perspective the logos of yesteryear versus the corporate logos of today. Quite a difference. It's hard not to be judgmental about something like that. The past is gone...

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Bad things happen to good buildings; that's what progress means

Was the building demolished and a wretched modernist steel and glass tower erected in its place or was the facade changed? I find the lead post unclear on that point.

Chinaski said:
That frieze puts into perspective the logos of yesteryear versus the corporate logos of today. Quite a difference. It's hard not to be judgmental about something like that. The past is gone...

If it were a modern logo, it would probably just be the name, "Stetson," in pastel letters of the dullest san-serif font available with perhaps some meaningless abstract shape drawn out of Microsoft Office clip-art appended to it somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner