Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended G-1

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Can anyone recommend where to find a good repro G-1 (WWII type) for about $300-400? I'm thinking the equivalent of US Authentic's A-2 in a way. Is their's any good?

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Andrew, which year was it that the "good" G1s stopped? I remember there was a specific year when they changed the spec, from goat to cowhide and faux mouton, and the jackets thereafter are reputedly not as good. Was it '68?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Look at the Gibson & Barnes US Navy G-1.

An original is nice but if you're after a repro the Gibson Barnes is a good choice without question. For around $400 it's a good deal. The knits are synthetic but the mouton is real I believe and the goatskin is wonderful.

The only problem is I believe they may have "redone" their sizing this year. I bought another Civil A-2 to replace one I sold in a size 38 which I returned, for it was a full inch larger from pit-pit and start of the sleeve at the shoulders looked oversized. Not sure if this was just a weird jacket but I do recall a thread a while back where someone mentioned this.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Andrew, which year was it that the "good" G1s stopped? I remember there was a specific year when they changed the spec, from goat to cowhide and faux mouton, and the jackets thereafter are reputedly not as good. Was it '68?
Edward, I know you asked Andrew, but I'll chime in if you don't mind. The really good G-1s ended with the C-series jackets which (depending on the contract) would be 1967. The early D-series jackets were all goatskin and had mouton collars, but that ended in 1969. Later D-series G-1s are goatskin but have dynal collars. The specification allowing embossed cowhide began in 1972 with the E-series G-1s, but some manufacturers continued to use goatskin well into the seventies.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
To the OP: I'm not sure as to your size...but a guy over on VLJ is selling his size 44, C-series, Star Sportswear. I think the asking price is in the middle range of your budget. While I'm not trying to sell you the jacket, I think most collectors would agree that Star was one of the better contractors of that era.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15436

AF

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Edward, I know you asked Andrew, but I'll chime in if you don't mind. The really good G-1s ended with the C-series jackets which (depending on the contract) would be 1967. The early D-series jackets were all goatskin and had mouton collars, but that ended in 1969. Later D-series G-1s are goatskin but have dynal collars. The specification allowing embossed cowhide began in 1972 with the E-series G-1s, but some manufacturers continued to use goatskin well into the seventies.

AF

Thanks, Atticus. Helpful stuff! I was narrowly outbid on one on eBay a couple of months ago, which I think was a fairly early post-war (i.e. WW2) model. Maybe one day...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Cockpit's vintage G-1 without patches... Best price I found was http://americanequipage.com/cockpitusajackets.aspx...
A little bit more than you quoted perhaps, but a 'new' jacket with that vintage appearance, not overly done. No old linings to replace, loose or moth-holed knits to replace, no smokey odours, no stains. And if it doesn't fit you can return it or exchange it.
Have seen a couple of good looking originals (a bit risky, but could get lucky) and some nice BK M422s on Ebay lately.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is claimed Cockpit's vintage G-1 "cannot be distinguished from an original" which if it were true would put this maker in the premier position for a repro maker of naval flight jackets. :rolleyes: You can get a really decent G-1 that does not require relining, having the knits replaced etc.. for less than the price of this repro.

thor

Call Me a Cab
If l can add my 2 cents on The Cockpit vintage G-1: it has a cool washed goatskin hide with alot of grain and some hand burnished areas where the reddish undercoat comes thru and it has scalloped pocket flaps and a vintage-looking "blond" mouton collar. But just about anyone who knows the G-1/M-422 jackets can tell it from an original when you check the details: Cockpit jacket has a large-ish paper-clip zipper, nylon-wool blend ribbing and a ridiculous label that has both the G-1 and M-422a nomenclature. Also the inside nylon lining is not quite as robust as original jackets (they also lined the pistol/map pocket in nylon instead of white cotton drill cloth).

Again, it's a nice looking jacket, very comfortable (l wear mine alot!) but definitely not an exact repro of the M-422a (a lot closer in appearance to an early 1950's G-1).

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'm not so particular about these jackets, and know very little, but I happened to buy a Star Sportswear G-1, 55J14, for less than 300 bucks. I like it, it stays. I may have lost a bit, may have gained a bit, but the jacket is as I like it.

There are a lot of jackets in this category that likely don't meet the "accuracy" needs of some, but are indeed solid jackets. No, not GW, ELC, Aero, etc., but a solid jacket, well-made, and worth wearing. If that's not your criteria, then you need to move up to the bespoke world.
USWings
G&B
The Cockpit
Schott
All good jackets for the money, but of course you can likely get something used as was mentioned.

pauleway

Practically Family
What makes it a great jacket, Pauleway? It is well outside the $300-400 price range and would incur significant duty if imported in the UK.

Sorry 'bout that aswatland, I have this jacket, and a '68 Ralph Edwards and prefer the Cockpit, but that's just me. Didn't really consider $$ and import!:eusa_doh::(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183