Recreasing straw hats: two projects

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Torpedo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Torpedo

Torpedo One Too Many

Hello,

These days I undertook a couple of straw hat recreasing jobs.

One was my Panama Cuenca. This had a typical machine blocked centerdent.

[​IMG]

The other, a milan Biltmore porkpie.

[​IMG]

I wanted to change them for different reasons. In the case of the cuencano, I wished something more personal and not so machine-made looking. As for the porkpie, it was because it had a somewhat low crown, and I have grown used to taller ones, hence I was not favouring it much.

Both hats I remodelled with warm water and my hands. The cuencano responded rapidly to water, immediately becoming malleable. I worked it carefully, the material being delicate. I creased it as a diamond crown with dome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The milan straw of the porkpie was more difficult, but by kneading and massaging I could reshape it too, although it was not so responsive. Because of it, I could not achieve what I intended, which was a taller porkpie crown, so I ended with another diamond crown, although with looser pinch and no dome. It is taller now, which was my primary concern, so I am satisfied anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Note: I am not sure of what kind, or quality, of milan straw is this hat made of. It does not seem to be the resin-coated plastic-like "milan" material frequently encountered; I have tried to recrease one of those, and it was impossible, it returned to its original shape however much I bashed it; apparently those are termo-formed, and difficult (impossible?) to reshape afterwards. This Biltmore-made hat I could reshape, so I guess it is some better kind of material.)

Regards!

2. HarpPlayerGene

HarpPlayerGene I'll Lock Up

Wow, Torp' - those are sharp. Literally and figuratively. It's fun to sculpt those hats isn't it? Good jobs!!

3. RBH

RBH Bartender

Great job Torp!!! I like that milan!!