Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger boots

I'm not really a boots guy, which I suppose is odd given my love of leather jackets and motorcycles...anyway I recently bought a pair of these online, Amber Harness is the color and I love the shape of the boot. Does anyone have experience with these? I started looking at reviews online and while mainly positive the consensus seems to be that they run large? I know red wing makes a solid boot. Years ago I had a pair of Irish setters and don't remember them being oversized at all. Those were work boots though and the IR's seem more fashion oriented? I typically wear an 11 in most shoes. I ordered an 11. I can always send them back but this was the last pair I could find from this retailer that was offering them well below retail. Sorry if this doesn't belong in outerwear!

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, most folk say they run large, which they do in my experience too. Having said that, they're a bit long, but not wide, so I think many find going down a size makes them tight, hence the countless tales of breaking-in misery you'll read about.

I have three pairs in my usual UK10/US11, but as there's no padding whatsoever and I find them as uncomfortable as Clark's Desert Boots with similar flat soles, I add cushioned insoles. This makes a huge difference - no breaking-in woes and genuine comfort.

See what you think when you get them, especially with and without comfy insoles.

Yeah, most folk say they run large, which they do in my experience too. Having said that, they're a bit long, but not wide, so I think many find going down a size makes them tight, hence the countless tales of breaking-in misery you'll read about.

I have three pairs in my usual UK10/US11, but as there's no padding whatsoever and I find them as uncomfortable as Clark's Desert Boots with similar flat soles, I add cushioned insoles. This makes a huge difference - no breaking-in woes and genuine comfort.

See what you think when you get them, especially with and without comfy insoles.
Thanks wdw. It seems that googling reviews of a product, after an online purchase after you've made it, is a bit like googling symptoms of an illness, and you go from a sore throat to one day to live. Thanks for the info!

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I agree with people's comments on the sizing issue but I find them very comfortable after being broken in. For fine tuning (these and other boots) I bought a shoe stretcher which is a bit like a shoe tree that can be expanded with a threaded handle. With the Red Wings I just slathered them with Rm Williams saddle soap or leather treatment or whatever it is and once it had soaked in used the stretcher adding the removable knobs where needed or building my own by taping something of the right size to the last of the stretcher. They do take some breaking in but they last forever. I'm pretty picky and can wear mine all day and then go for a three mile walk in complete comfort.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Tony, I have a pair of black 11.5 Red Wing Iron Rangers that have been my "daily drivers" for work in our company office for just over 3 years now. Purchased in Seattle while there on a business trip, I don't wear dress shoes at all, I wear these now. I put them away when snow starts to fly and wear a little heavier boot (I grew up on a farm so boots are a natural part of my life.)

Positives:
  • Made in USA quality
  • Thick leather, not overly heavy, leather insoles too
  • No addtional lining or "pad" at top of boot, all of which trap heat
  • Cork "smooth" soles, wear like iron
  • Relatively simple break in
  • Timeless, understated style
  • Most folks assume they are dress shoes unless they really look
  • Only requirea bit of boot oil to keep in great shape, very little wear in 3 years so far.
Negatives:
  • Rather expensive (I paid $319 for mine)
  • Flat boot - no arch support
  • Not very good in snow & salt for traction
  • No semblence of water-proofing other than said boot oil treatments
I only mention the water resistance as this seems to be what most folks look for when they shop for boots. I certainly have waterpoof/Gore Tex Ecco's than handle the winter months, however that's not what I bought these boots for. I fully intend to order another pair direct from Red Wings in a year of so, however they way these are wearing I hope to get 3-4 more years use out of them. They are just narrow enough to be comfortable for me. I only wish they had more of a natural arch, (like White's boots do) however I can't bring myself to put in insoles, they are just very comfortable as they come.

I've only tried IR's on but I really fell in love with them. To be honest, I would've gotten IR's instead of Chippewas but the store didn't have them in black, only "clown" color as the clerk working there called the reddish-brown ones they had. And I'm not a big fan of that... double layer cap thing. Retrospectively, I wish I had bought them - not because I regret getting the Chippewas instead, which are awesome boots, but because I really did like the Rangers a bit more.

Anyway, I wear 10.5 - 11 and I found IR's in 11 perfect.

As far as the quality goes, I've been wearing the Chippewas that I got non stop, all summer, went hiking, hillwalking, whatnot, they've really taken some serious beating and they're still as good as new. So taken the Rangers are at the same or higher quality level, I would say they're definitely not just fashion boots.

Edward

Bartender
I scored a pair at a cheap price a coupel of years ago. When I say 'cheap', I mean GBP150, which back then was still about USD230-250, but the regular UK price in those days was GBP250 (then around USD400ish). I bought my own size. I hear a lot about people saying "You have to size down with Redwings" - I can only assume that if that is even remotely true, it must be for a RW boot from a very different last. I bought my own size. They blistered me on one ankle for the first couple of days (as almost any boot will if I buy it new and wear nothing else all day), then they fit like a glove ever since. Bought my own size - UK8/EU42/US9D. It's very rare indeed that I need even an insole with a laced-up boot, and I've never needed to go up or down a sie in one from any brand.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have two pair of IR's. One amber and one black. I am usually a 10 or 10.5D. I bought the 10.5 and using only a cheap Dr Scholl's insole they fit just right and are very comfortable. I did find them to be a little hard to break in, but once that's done they are great.

So taken the Rangers are at the same or higher quality level, I would say they're definitely not just fashion boots.
Yeah I agree but I saw them at Nordstrom...which really surprised me to see them in a dept store. I should've tried them on there but I went to furiously googling for a lower price. I hadn't been to a mall for quite some time. Everything was ridiculously over priced, all the mens jeans looked like jeggings and had a strange horseshoe shape, I felt old and un-hip but what a bunch of garbage. The clothes all seem flimsy and hastily put together. I'm not even going to address the $800 Cole Haan leather jacket...My eyes rolled so hard they actually hurt...So flimsy, so soft

These boots certainly were the nicest thing in the store!

01flhr

One of the Regulars
All the redwings i own are sized like a dress shoe. I wear a 13 new balance or nike and a 12.5 redwing would be perfect if they made one.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I bought a pair of size 10D Red Wing Loggers from a vendor on Etsy.I normally take a UK size 9 but these are a comfortable fit.I think I'm trying to say that Etsy is worth searching if you don't mind a used pair.The quality of the boots is excellent.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
I'm not really a boots guy, which I suppose is odd given my love of leather jackets and motorcycles...anyway I recently bought a pair of these online, Amber Harness is the color and I love the shape of the boot. Does anyone have experience with these? I started looking at reviews online and while mainly positive the consensus seems to be that they run large? I know red wing makes a solid boot. Years ago I had a pair of Irish setters and don't remember them being oversized at all. Those were work boots though and the IR's seem more fashion oriented? I typically wear an 11 in most shoes. I ordered an 11. I can always send them back but this was the last pair I could find from this retailer that was offering them well below retail. Sorry if this doesn't belong in outerwear!

What kind of socks are you wearing with them? Most boots should be worn with medium to thick wool socks and that is the way they are designed.

Yeah I agree but I saw them at Nordstrom...which really surprised me to see them in a dept store. I should've tried them on there but I went to furiously googling for a lower price. I hadn't been to a mall for quite some time. Everything was ridiculously over priced, all the mens jeans looked like jeggings and had a strange horseshoe shape, I felt old and un-hip but what a bunch of garbage. The clothes all seem flimsy and hastily put together. I'm not even going to address the $800 Cole Haan leather jacket...My eyes rolled so hard they actually hurt...So flimsy, so soft

These boots certainly were the nicest thing in the store!

Ditto! I found them at some fashion mall store in Canada. Can't recall the name but everything else they had was just fashion stuff, mostly dress shoes and sneakers, and the Chippewas and Red Wings were by far the nicest stuff in the store. And in the mall. I was also surprised (and a little disappointed) to find them there but when I tried them on, whatever little doubt I had was gone. They're really nice boots. I live in those Chippewas and I walk a lot. Had zero issues with 'em so I'm sure you will be equally happy with the IR's. Or even happier!
I'm happy they didn't carry the engineer boots because I would've bought those instead and these service / work boots are so much more versatile and fun. Plus if there's ever a need for something more presentable, I just dust them off.

What kind of socks are you wearing with them? Most boots should be worn with medium to thick wool socks and that is the way they are designed.
Probably a medium weight work type sock. I've got some heavy winter weight but leave them until the big toe numbing January/February weather hits. The sole looks like glass so they won't see much wear then if we get a snowy icey winter in Chicago

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Probably a medium weight work type sock. I've got some heavy winter weight but leave them until the big toe numbing January/February weather hits. The sole looks like glass so they won't see much wear then if we get a snowy icey winter in Chicago

Is it a leather sole? My Allen Edmonds boots came with a shiny leather sole and needed resoling in 10 months. I walk a lot, but I also alternate shoes... Got rubber on them now and it looks like it will fare better.

Edward

Bartender
They are a great boot, but as mentioned- don't wear them in rain or snow as the soles slip.

I've never had a problem with mine in rain. Ice, they're not so good - but that's the same for pretty much anything without spikes! For kme, in rain, they're as good as a Dainite sole.

These have Cork Soles. Mine have just slight edge wear after 3 years and hundreds of miles of walking in them.

Yes, I've been very pleased with how hard-wearing they are.

willyto

One Too Many
I have cork soles in my Chukka Foreman boots and they aren't slippery in Rain. Actually I wear them mostly in the rain.

On the other hand I have some tall boots made in North Hampton from a Kickstarter with Dainite sole and they're slippery and my feet get soaked wet when it rains...also the welt is getting worn out aready in the sole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ