Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redhead/Ginger?

$ally

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine: My point was that in the milder cases many people feel guilty complaining about comments by coworkers (example: 'feeling like a redheaded stepchild') or what have you. I try to deal with my situations directly one-on-one before going to HR. In fact, I've never had to go to HR. I usually handle snide remarks by tossing it back with a sense of humor. They've already set the climate for verbal self-defence by then. It's very unPC, to say the least. Quite a different situation than you have had. From what Edward has posted, it sounds like there is an entirely different stereotype of red haired men in the UK than the USA.

mikepara

Practically Family
In the 80's a band called Splodgenessabounds wouldn't let Ginger people into their gigs! They had bouncers stopping anyone red haired trying to get in. Of course after that no redhead wanted to...

Ginger people are ridiculed, quite mercilessly at times. It doesn't help having tartan tourist bonnets with ginger hair attached for sale all over Edinburgh.

I have a redhaired daughter. She's beautiful but even in a country full of redheads she's been ridiculed nearly every day at school. It should be just another hair colour but it isn't.
In most peoples eyes Blonde = Dumb, Ginger = ugly.

It's all disgusting and shameful.

Doh!

One Too Many
Come on, now, they have a point. I mean really, who wants to spend time with:

Lucille Ball
Rita Hayworth
Alyson Hannigan
Gillian Anderson
Mary Jane Watson*
Marilu Henner
Katherine Hepburn
Ann-Margaret
Gates McFadden
Maureen O'Hara
Annette O'Toole

Or any of a number of other such hideous, hideous creatures...?

*(nerd alert)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
What a shame.

My mom is red haired, my grandfather was, 2 of my aunts, and 1 of my uncles are. They all report teasing as a child, but are happy with being unique.

I wound up with brown hair, but I do have a red beard, which is rather unusual looking, but I'm proud of it nonetheless.

People need to grow up.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
In praise of redheads

Redhaired women are exotic and fascinating: their porcelaine skin is intriguing for painters. Also natural red hairs are plenty and curly. What can a woman want more?

In the ancient Egypt there were maritime invaders coming from the North (I saw a book on that), with genuine redheads and also blondes.

Also in the Orient they were prizing red haired beauties like Roxana, the famous red-haired Russian wife of the Sultan.

People mocking others because of their looks are simply a...holes and one must only decide whether those folks are accepted as role models and whether their opinions count or not.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I get some length to my beard...

...RED starts to come out in it. See, there's a fine Celtic warrior in there just dying to get out!

I remember during a military inspection in Northern Ireland, the Major General stopping with the red headed guy beside me, and asking in a very plummy English accent, "So what's YOUR name then, ....GINGER, FOXY or COPPER KNOB?" The Old Etonian General was obviously 'too finely bred' and that auld interbred family madness had finally set in:rolleyes:

Red Heads are just beautiful and the rest of us are just envious ;) If I had the hair (nature and genetics have been unkind), I'd dye it in an instance and join your ranks (I must just makedo with my red beard).

panamag8or

Practically Family
My Great-Grandmother was a redhead, and my (blonde) Grandmother married a redhead, but it ended there. I guess I need to find a nice redhead and try to keep it going. I know I have a latent ginger gene somewhere!

Natty Bumpo

New in Town
From "Jolene" by Dolly Parton

"Your beauty is beyond compare
with flaming locks of auburn hair,
ivory skin and eyes of emerald green.
Your smile is like a breath of spring
your voice is soft like summer rain
and I cannot compete with you Jolene."

Boy howdy do those words paint a picture for me.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
The ladies are by an large admired (I've got a dreadful weakness myself for a lady with red hair and pale, pale skin), even fetishised by many men...

MANY men (and i'm one of them) go for women with red/ginger hair and pale skin. it almost goes without saying that if you are female, pretty and have that hair/skin combination you are going to get lots of male attention.

sarah smith

New in Town
herringbonekid said:
MANY men (and i'm one of them) go for women with red/ginger hair and pale skin. it almost goes without saying that if you are female, pretty and have that hair/skin combination you are going to get lots of male attention.

I feel sorry for the tan/freckled overweight redhead girls out there...

when did this thread turn into a male locker room?

Edward

Bartender
sarah smith said:
I feel sorry for the tan/freckled overweight redhead girls out there...

when did this thread turn into a male locker room?

My apologies if I contributed to that direction - it was unintentional. As to your comment... what we less intelligent humans, that is to say, men, are attracted to will indeed vary wildly from one individual example of the species to the next. Also, saving where it becomes a medically definable thing, "overweight" is really a highly subjective denominator, in my opinion. Some men do hold to the Hollywood standards of slimness, others among us prefer women who are the way nature intended, however that may be for the individual. Whatever superficial physical preferences any one of us might express, however, the only man worth having is one who finds a lady's true beauty lies inside. Anyhow, I'm veering wildly :eek:fftopic: here...

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
i married a redhead and both my babies are ginger and they are GORGEOUS !!! :D

however the downside is the temper , now believe me my youngest daughter Jaye (11) is vicious . a friend of their grandmother asked her " what do they call you ...carrot top? " to which Jaye replied "if they do they only ever do it once ":D :D

here is the little cherub

jaye2.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First let me offer a general apology to the men and women who have been ridiculed due their hair color. The fact that it even exists makes my blood boil.

I vaguely remember doing interviews for a new employee, and I included other staff members in on the interviews. After one person left, one staff person commented on the red hair color. I curtly replied "To make that comment and even respond is against the California Labor Laws. Let's get back to the important work - discussing her resume and qualifications."

I never heard him make a comment about someone's hair color again.

Vintage Betty

PS Mr. Dundavee: Your daughter's beautiful! I hope you lock her up when the age of dating begins.
PPS: One of my best boss' ever was a redhead.

Josephine

One Too Many
I adore red hair and would be very happy to take the heat for those of you who have gotten grief for your red hair. I started coloring mine with henna near two years ago. I'm about 50+% grey so in the not so distant future I expect to be a very vibrant red instead of the more auburn I am now:

06032006PartyA.gif

June 2006

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
I don't know what to say, this is extremely sad and indicative of the hateful nature of humankind. Instead of valuing the unusual, instinct is to destroy it. People really need to find better things to do than harass others for the color of their hair (and skin for that matter).
As a natural redhead I have noticed the extra attention, both good and bad, my hair color gets me. In the past year I have gone back to natural and stopped dying my hair because I realized how unique and unusual my natural color is. Since going back to natural I don't feel that I have been treated badly because of my hair color and in light of people's experiences expressed here and the article posted in this thread, I guess I should feel lucky. What a world, what a world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21