Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relax...dont do it?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Is it possible to have too little stress in one's life?

I sometimes think I would be much more dynamic, achieving, and self-realized if I didn't constantly build walls between myself and stressful people, situations, or issues. I have a very low tolerance for inflicted stress (rather than stress brought on by some crisis, where I tend to do pretty well). I try to wriggle out of the way somehow, and if that doesn't work, I get nasty and destructive.

Maybe what I need is to get my head caved in, followed by a long heart-to-heart talk. [huh]

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Somehow missed this one

Marc Chevalier said:
And then a big fat earthworm decides to break the calm and greet your fingers. :rolleyes:

lol
Actually, that's part of the charm. I like worms. I've been known to rescue them from mud puddles on rainy days!
Most creepy-crawlies are fine by me. I played with them when I was a kid. :p

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Is it possible to have too little stress in one's life?

I sometimes think I would be much more dynamic, achieving, and self-realized if I didn't constantly build walls between myself and stressful people, situations, or issues. I do this because I have a very low tolerance for stressful situations; I try to wriggle out of them somehow, and if that doesn't work, I get nasty and destructive.

Maybe what I need is to get my head caved in, followed by a long heart-to-heart talk. [huh]

Haha....sounds vaguely like me this morning!

I erm was way way less then polite with someone demanding I get them the data......by noon...that I -was- actually working on....

I did point out that the longer she stood there, the longer it would be taking me to finish up and mail it out.

Maybe I can bash my own head in too?

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Jeff Cooper once said that relaxation comes from change. I've tried to follow that idea. When I've had a day of heavy mental activity, I visit the gym. When the day has been physical, I retire to the reading room.

My wife is a little different. While she "gyms", it doesn't give her quite the benefit I receive. She always ends her day with a bath and shampoo, followed by doing her nails. The ritual nature of the activity seems to be calming.

Steve

Practically Family
Personally, I aim to always be active, in mind if not in body. Action in repose; being still and getting rest, but ready for anything that might come up.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Flying relaxes me - unless the engine makes that funny noise - the one that sounds like berrrrrappppth!. Then, I go for the stiff drink, and a good cigar (once I'm back on the ground, of course).

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
This always works for me :)

Stress Management

Just in case you are having a rough day, here is a stress management
technique recommended in all the latest psychological journals.

1. Picture yourself lying on your belly on a warm rock that
hangs out over a crystal clear stream.

2. Now, picture yourself with both your hands dangling in the
cool running water...

3. Birds are sweetly singing in the cool mountain air...

4. No one knows your secret place...

5. You are in total seclusion from that hectic place called the
world...

6. The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a
cascade of serenity...

7. The water is so crystal clear that you can easily make out
the face of the person you are holding
underwater..........

See? It really does work...you're smiling already. :D

Marc Chevalier said:
What, drowning someone?

No, imagining doing it to the source of your stress. "Stress is what happens when the mind overrides the body's natural instinct to choke the life out of some SOB who desperately deserves it."--unknown

Personally, I prefer the range, myself--especially if I'm visiting a friend with a Choppa like the one in Big Man's av.

Chickpea

Familiar Face
I can wind myself up to unbelieveable heights, and am pretty unable to relax. Not in a hysterical way, but maybe more like Chip n`Dale lol . You wouldnt believe how fast I can do housework!

I excersise a lot; biking mostly. Looong trips. After maybe half an hour I get into the flow and the relaxing hormones kicks in. I also relax with sounds.
I have some excellent CDs from Monroe Institutes and Silva. The sounds brings your brain to alpha level, and you get deep relaxation. Very refreshing.

I´m working on my PPL and hope that flying will relax me. Right now it stresses me lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Some reactions:
Celexa: nothing wrong with a good selective seratonin uptake inhibitor! All you're doing is allowing your brain to function more effectively.
Alcohol: great, but be careful.
Meditation: Never was able to get much out of it.
Cigars: Forget it!
Exercise: Yike! Allergic reaction! (Actually, I wish I did exercise more, I need it.)
Hot bath: Dries my skin out too much.
Gardening: Yes! Worms are good!
Sex: Well, duh.
TV: For some it's a relaxer, for me it just makes me more wound up.
Melatonin: Doesn't do much.
Comfort food: See alcohol.
Flying: Would that I could.
Strangling some deeply deserving individual: see above (alcohol, comfort food).
And so it goes. I was awake till 2 AM last night. (Not complaining, saw Turandot at the Met last night. Fab!) Conked out at my desk this afternoon for a while. So I guess I would add afternoon naps to the list of good relaxers.
BTW!!! Chickpea: Another thing I love about FL is checking out someone's home page and finding lovely pictures and a completely undecipherable language! Cool!

Chickpea

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
BTW!!! Chickpea: Another thing I love about FL is checking out someone's home page and finding lovely pictures and a completely undecipherable language! Cool!

You´ve been to my site? It has an english section- not as detailed in descriptions like the norwegain part, but still functioning.
So, did you find anything you like? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner