Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing cigarette smoke smell on ties (or other clothes)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
What do you do about the scent of cigarette smoke on a necktie? There are two I received today that are '40s or '50s ties, which smell like the previous wearer was a heavy smoker, and as though some of it got on the ties. They remind me of an ashtray, and it's a noticeably strong smell. What could I do to remove the smell? Thank you.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Buy some liquid cold water liquid wash for delicates and wools. Just no really hot water.....in fact one notch above COLD water and a dose of the cold water wash. Let the ties sit over night, rinse them out several times until you know you have all the liquid soap out. Grab a normal hanger, hang the tie on the hanger like it was a pair of pants. As it dries, try to pull the sides and then top to bottom of the tie, sort of pulling it tight to remove wrinkles. Use a pressing clothe between the tie and the steam iron when you want to press it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Buy some liquid cold water liquid wash for delicates and wools. Just no really hot water.....in fact one notch above COLD water and a dose of the cold water wash. Let the ties sit over night, rinse them out several times until you know you have all the liquid soap out. Grab a normal hanger, hang the tie on the hanger like it was a pair of pants. As it dries, try to pull the sides and then top to bottom of the tie, sort of pulling it tight to remove wrinkles. Use a pressing clothe between the tie and the steam iron when you want to press it.

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think just washing them with cold water would be enough to remove the scent of smoke?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think just washing them with cold water would be enough to remove the scent of smoke?

It will IF you use a liquid soap, made for cold water washing/wool laundry. You just wash them by hand, rub them lightly within the material of the tie on itself, to sort of scrub it but do it lightly and be very easy with the tie. Then just let it sit in the water with the liquid soap over night. Then rinse and carefully wring out the extra water, rinse again. You may have to rinse the tie a few times to get all the "soap" out......then hang, while drying sort of smooth and pull wrinkles out as it will help make pressing the tie a lot less work.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It will IF you use a liquid soap, made for cold water washing/wool laundry. You just wash them by hand, rub them lightly within the material of the tie on itself, to sort of scrub it but do it lightly and be very easy with the tie. Then just let it sit in the water with the liquid soap over night. Then rinse and carefully wring out the extra water, rinse again. You may have to rinse the tie a few times to get all the "soap" out......then hang, while drying sort of smooth and pull wrinkles out as it will help make pressing the tie a lot less work.

OK, thanks. I looked around, and I believe I found a kind of soap that fits your description.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I believe she is referring to Woolite or other brand of soap made specially for washing woolens and delicate articles.

If you do not want to risk rubbing or scrubbing, put some lukewarm water in a Tupperware bowl and add a dash of the special soap. Put in your ties. Snap the lid on. Shake shake shake like a washing machine, let them soak for a few hours and shake again. Then drain off the soapy water and rinse with fresh water.

Before you do this you might want to try a drop of the soapy water on the back of the tie to make sure it is color fast. Old textiles did not come with washing instructions, unfortunately.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You could make a stretcher. This is just a thin wooden board, cut to the same angle as the tie. After washing and rinsing slip the tie over the stretcher and leave it to dry. My grandmother used to do this with wool socks, using a sock shaped wooden stretcher.

BruSwain

New in Town
What do you do about the scent of cigarette smoke on a necktie? There are two I received today that are '40s or '50s ties, which smell like the previous wearer was a heavy smoker, and as though some of it got on the ties. They remind me of an ashtray, and it's a noticeably strong smell. What could I do to remove the smell? Thank you.

I've not tested this on ties but if you'd prefer to avoid any kind of laundering, this may work: put a box of baking soda open at the top in a plastic bag with your ties, tie the bag shut and let it sit for a few days (or more).

RenaissanceMan

New in Town
My remedy is simply letting the item air out on a hanger.

Not the quickest route by any means, but it works for cigar smoke on other garments. I imagine it would work for cigarette odor as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21