Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing lines/marks from rebashed vintage hats?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Okay, I have a Dobbs from the forties or thirties that has been weirdly bashed for some decades: the crown is way too low. I've managed to reshape it nicely -- some soaking, some steam -- but there's still a lighter line around the back where it used to be creased. And on the front there's an *indented* line -- the felt was probably tightly pinched there, and abraded.

Are there techniques for getting rid of these? The latter might be reduced by pouncing the felt further, until it's all at the level of the indentation -- is this something an amateur wants to get involved in?

I'll put up photos later.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Okay, this is something I've never tried: pouncing a hat. What grade of sandpaper do I use? Do you end up having to do the *entire hat*, or can you do it locally?

And will that do anything about the place where the felt is lighter? Is it likely to be darker beneath the surface?

(Turning it inside out is way too much hassle, what with removing the ribbon and sweat band -- and it would put the invisible underwelt on the top side.)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Yes, same issue. Although nobody seems to have come up with a solution. I've had great luck, like the final poster, removing creases that *weren't* discolored -- but this is a more severe situation.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think that in some cases it may be a matter of reblocking as was suggested in the other thread. My present thinking is that it actually depends on the type of felt as well as the nature and severity of the creases. For example -

Using only steam and a spoon (followed by brushing) I recently worked creases out of two old but high quality hats. Neither hat had any notable weakening or actual wear to the areas in question when I began. Both came out fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL