Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacement brass buckles for Barbour jacket.

winston

New in Town
A bit of a shot in the dark this... I got a leather Barbour International jacket and I really like it, but the buckles I feel are a bit cheap and substandard. There are of course buckles on the waist belt and on the smaller neck strap. I'd really like to get some brass buckles for these two places, but it might be a bit of a job finding two that are enough of a match and which are the right sizes.

Has anyone else done this before, or perhaps there's a forum out there where Barbour motorcycle jackets are a big topic?

STW

Familiar Face
I had this problem while refurbishing a Belstaff style Peregrine waxed cotton jacket. Found that a riding supply tack shop had a wall of buckles and found some that worked and complemented each other. Tack buckles are on the heavy side so if you find the lighter ones, they'll be more substantial than the cheap pressed metal buckles you find on (human) clothing somethimes.

PalmerPirate

New in Town
It always bothers me when a company uses top-grade materials to make the shell of a garment- But use poor notions or furnishings. As I stated in my Red Baron thread, I just got a beautiful new DB brown leather coat that fits like a glove- real top grain leather and all- but the buttons are cheap plastic and sadly hang from the coat's front panel. I'm replacing them with brass. What I would do to replace the buckles is this: Measure the things that the buckles loop into and find buckles in that size. The waist buckle of the International is black, correct? You could always paint a nice heavy metal buckle that has the same dimensions. If this doesn't help, then maybe I'm not reading your post clearly enough. In which case- er, sorry.

winston

New in Town
I think shiny, unpainted brass would look good. The belt is 2 inches in width and the neck strap 1 inch. It's proving hard to find the right buckle in the right sizes.

STW, did you manage to find the right sort of shape buckle? I am thinking it's best to stick with the rectangular buckle shape, but most buckles seem to be more square, rounded or rectangular in a way that would be horizontal along the length of the belt.

Edward

Bartender
I would suggest looking into a yachting supplies shop - I've seen several items in that sort of place in the past that - whatever their boating purpose - should do what you're after...

STW

Familiar Face
winston said:
STW, did you manage to find the right sort of shape buckle? I am thinking it's best to stick with the rectangular buckle shape, but most buckles seem to be more square, rounded or rectangular in a way that would be horizontal along the length of the belt.
The one I used is the older Belstaff Trialmaster style buckle which is a single sided buckle with roller, like the one labeled #6 in the array below:
http://www.bulldogproducts.co.uk/buckles.htm
Belstaff used a few different waiste belt buckle styles depending on the era, but often this roller style, based on the vintage Belstaffs I've seen. The Barbour International was more consistent (I think) in using the tall rectangular double sided buckle like the one in the photo below:
http://www.militaryhistoryworkshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=211
Although some more recent Internationals have what looks like plastic or vinyl covered versions of these, a brass one like this is consistent with older Internationals I've seen. No connection to this vendor but I notice they are UK based and may be an easy order for you, unless you are looking for more of a yellow color brass.

Since wearers of belted Internationals and Trialmasters often wear the jacket open with belt sides hangings, I think the weight of the buckle may be an issue for those who don't like a heavy swinging metal buckle. This may in part explain the lightweight plastic or cheap light metal buckles. I find l like the heavier buckle even with belt sides hanging.

winston

New in Town
The buckle at the second link is the right shape, and unless my eyes deceive me is more of a 'yellow' shade which is what I'm after. The only issue is that I also need a closely matching smaller version for the neck strap. The pins might be too fat for the holes too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo