Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoration of a lost Stetson film

buler

I'll Lock Up
A group of silent era films were discovered recently. Among them was, "Birth of a Hat", an industrial short from Stetson. The National Film Preservation Foundation is working to restore and preserve this film. At first I thought it was the same film I had found and posted on in this thread > http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?42123-The-Making-of-a-Stetson-1925 .

I was sent some shots from the film and it is not the same film. Some if it may be the same footage, but there were enough differences to peak my interest. I received the below email from Annette Melville with some more details on the process. I've also posted the shots I received.

Here is a link to a webpage where you can donate to this restoration > http://www.filmpreservation.org/support/help-save-lost-film-nz
B

"Dear Bill,

What a perfect time to inquire about The BIRTH OF A HAT, the fascinating 1920 industrial film from the Stetson Company uncovered in New Zealand! The film details how the company made its famous hats--from the creation of felt to the selling of the latest styles.

We are thrillled that you are interested in underwriting the film's preservation. The preservation work is expected to cost around $6,000. The film is in the queue at Colorlab in Maryland. UCLA Film & Television Archive is supervising the preservation; it will receive the final preservation master and print.

Complete, tinted, good-quality industrial films from the silent era are among rarest of the rare--and this one is in great shape and fun to boot. It is sure to screen in festivals and at archival screenings. We also plan to make it available for free viewing from the NFPF Web site. If you are able to help fund this film, we would add a special introductory credit acknowledging your support.
Another plus: The film is part of our Save America's Treasures project, a federal grant project that requires a one-to-one match of private funding. Thus a gift to save THE BIRTH OF A HAT will help us leverage an additional $6,000 in federal support to save other films recovered from New Zealand. And goodness knows there are lots!

Would you like to see more stills from the film or receive more information about the NFPF? Just say the word and I'll send some stills as a zip file and send our annual report.

Again, thanks so much for getting in touch. Your help on this film would be hugely appreciated.

Best,
Annette

Annette Melville
National Film Preservation Foundation
870 Market Street, Suite 1113
San Francisco, CA 94102
melville@filmpreservation.org"

BirthHat1.jpg

BirthHat2.jpg

BirthHat3.jpg

BirthHat4.jpg

BirthHat5.jpg

BirthHat6.jpg

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The Making of a Stetson, 1925 is wonderful. I have watched it many times. I very much look forward to seeing The Birth of a Hat as well. Wonderful news!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Annette sent me one other email about this film restoration. Here is the pertinent text:

"No copy of BIRTH OF A HAT is reported in any major film archive anywhere in the world--which means that it has not been preserved so that it will survive for years to come. The video copy is an important byproduct of this process but video in itself does not give the images long-term protection. (For more on that issue, please see the FILM PRESERVATION GUIDE on our Web site at http://www.filmpreservation.org/preservation-basics/the-film-preservation-guide) That is why we copy the film to new film stock, keep the master in cold storage, make new film prints for screenings, and make a video copy for public access.

Just finding a film in such terrific shape is like an answer to a prayer for an film preservationist. "

Thanks for any donations to this project,
B

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Bill, this is an incredible project! I always love to see silent films, especially ones that are about Stetson! Thanks for posting this. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Looking forward to seeing this film!

I wish that site would allow embedding of at least some of their films. I understand there's probably an upside to doing so and a downside, but when I post about such sites on Cladrite Radio, it's so much more compelling to be able to include an example of the site's offerings. Even when the videos can be embedded, I always make it a point to include one or more links to the site (as well as encouraging my readers to donate money in support of the other site's work).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks and so nice to see. Just a quick question, I see Clint Eastwood doing a commercial for restoration of film, is that the same foundation as involved in restoring this Stetson film?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks and so nice to see. Just a quick question, I see Clint Eastwood doing a commercial for restoration of film, is that the same foundation as involved in restoring this Stetson film?

This is the foundation behind the Stetson film. I haven't seen the Clint commercials. NFPF Link

buler

I'll Lock Up
It is done and available to watch. Not able to copy link from my device. Try the links from earlier post.

B

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Great Thanks Bill.
They did a very good job of restoration. The detail of putting a paper covering over the top of the hat was one I had not seen before.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails