Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro gym equipment?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Hello. I normally hang out in the Outerwear section but I have a question that I thought might be answered here. I am thinking of introducing a weight or bench press into my home to do sit-ups and the like on, but there's no way I want to contaminate my look with ugly modern gym equipment. Has anybody come across suitably aged (or aged-looking) alternatives? Sir J

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
A leather medicine ball would look the part:

74916978-n.jpg

or a punch bag:
L202_1_large.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Gymnasium equipment must date back to the Victorian era or earlier. Free weights as we know them today at least to the forties.

Where you would find the stuff I have no idea although I have seen some old stuff at yard sales and thrift stores.

One good thing, when you find used exercise equipment it is usually in perfect shape as if it has hardly been used lol.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
These are all great! Thanks for this thread. Also from the oldtimestrongman website are "Chest Expanders". I'm considering getting a set for their portability. Exercise while you travel.

Matt

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
These are all great! Thanks for this thread. Also from the oldtimestrongman website are "Chest Expanders". I'm considering getting a set for their portability. Exercise while you travel.

Matt

If you want to exercise while you travel look up the 5BX Plan or Canadian Air Force exercise program.Dr. Bill Orban developed it for the Royal Canadian Air Force as a way for air crews to exercise anywhere in the world with no gym, no equipment, no instructor, no nothing. It has been around since 1961 and has proven an excellent, very simple way to keep fit. Ian Fleming (of James Bond fame) was a fan. So are a lot of other people. In recent years the plan has been revived by computer geeks as a "life hack".

I believe the original booklets are out of print but you can find them on the web.

Last edited:

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Stall Bars - staple of YMCA's and GYM's since the early 1900's

I am thinking of introducing a weight or bench press into my home to do sit-ups and the like on, but there's no way I want to contaminate my look with ugly modern gym equipment. Has anybody come across suitably aged (or aged-looking) alternatives? Sir J

How bout this: imagesCAJMAIP3.jpg imagesCAM8SW92.jpg imagesCAB1EAHE.jpg

;)

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
How about chairs and walls? Although I haven't sent for it yet; Charles Atlas' Dynamic Tension course encouraged upside down pushups using walls to stay upright, and putting one's hands and feet on chairs to do more vigorous push ups. A prisoner named Charles Bronson (he took his name from the actor) outlined allot of techniques first used in Atlas' course as a way to remain tank-like without having access to any gym equipment at all. I would imagine that going to a gym in the golden age would of been even more intimidating to the average man than it is now, so effective body weight exercises which could be done in ones own home would seem much more inviting when compared to working out next to Herculean statues. Info as to proper use of weights would of been more scarce back then too, and body weight training was much safer.

Btw, I don't care if they work or not; I want a fat jiggler!

katon

New in Town
You might have a bit of trouble finding period-correct benches -- weight benches were not popular in the Golden Era. Up until the 1950s, overhead press work was most common. A vintage weight gym would probably have a lifting platform and chalk instead.

Last edited:

tmal

One of the Regulars
Benches were not really all that common until the 1950's. Prior to that the standing press (which is a better exercise anyway) was the main pressing exercise. Books of the era had you pressing while on your back on the floor, 0r they would recommend a piano bench or similar sturdy bench. The primary weightlifting gurus of the era were Bob Hoffman (York Barbell), and Paery Rader (Ironman Magazine). A search on the net should yield many results and you may find some old photos. Info and pictures from the era are not rare, you just need to keep looking. For books you can try www.superstrengthtraining.com/ they provide excellent service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner