Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rewiring a lamp?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone had any luck with someone rewiring a 220 lamp down to 120?

Found something super cool I might want to buy....but its way less cool if if isn't lit up....hehe...

is this an easy thing? complex? depends on some factor I don't know about....?

argggg...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Do you have pics? A lamp should not be a problem, compared to any other type of device. You should be able to take the socket out altogether, get a replacement one at any hardware store, and put it in. It's very easy.
However . . . .
I believe that even the threads of a 220 bulb are the same as an American bulb. So you might not need to do anything other than get an America bulb. I found a British bulb once in my old place. The previous tenants had lived in Britain for many years. The bulb said 60 watts/220 volts. It screwed right into my lamp, and when I turned it on it glowed, but very dimly. I'll bet you don't have to do anything but put the right bulb in it.
Go ahead, buy it. But post pics!

CliffG

One of the Regulars
it would depend on the lamp, but changing the plug and the light socket to a 110 may be all you need to do, you may be able to reuse the existing wire, but worst case you replace the wire.
I have taken a lot of old almps and replaced the wire, socket, and plug just to make them usable again.
I bet you would be able to do it yourself, especially if some one walks you through it.
Cliff

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Has anyone had any luck with someone rewiring a 220 lamp down to 120?

Found something super cool I might want to buy....but its way less cool if if isn't lit up....hehe...

is this an easy thing? complex? depends on some factor I don't know about....?

argggg...

If it's just an ordinary table/desk/floor-type lamp, it 's likely just be a matter of changing the bulb socket and cord. About a ten minute job with parts from any hardware store -- the only complicated part is to figure out how to undo the socket. Once you're inside, just unscrew the old connections, pull out the old socket, replace it with the new one, run the new cord up thru to where the old one connected, tighten two screws, and bob's-yer-uncle.

If there are electronics or mechanical parts associated with it, like a timer or a blinker, it gets more complicated. Best thing to do then is use a 110 to 220 step-up transformer.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Do you have pics? A lamp should not be a problem, compared to any other type of device. You should be able to take the socket out altogether, get a replacement one at any hardware store, and put it in. It's very easy.
However . . . .
I believe that even the threads of a 220 bulb are the same as an American bulb. So you might not need to do anything other than get an America bulb. I found a British bulb once in my old place. The previous tenants had lived in Britain for many years. The bulb said 60 watts/220 volts. It screwed right into my lamp, and when I turned it on it glowed, but very dimly. I'll bet you don't have to do anything but put the right bulb in it.
Go ahead, buy it. But post pics!

Its not quite a -standard- lamp.....so is a risk regardless....since you cant see bulbs etc...hence my pondering...

I have the listing....which is still active...so cannot post..

let me see if i can link to the picture...despite -my- not being able to see it from work...

00387_01.jpg

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I've done several re-wires to include chandeliers and even candle lamps. For the item you show it should be no problem. New plug, socket and wire. Use an inline switch like what is shown. Local hardware stores should have all you need.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It looks like the lamp may have a smaller than standard bulb. We have a type called chandelier, I think it's called. It has the same socket size as old fashioned screw in Christmas tree lights. Still shouldn't be difficult to do.

Talbot

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
ooh so it shows up? I -cannot- see it...something about work blocking the hosting as possibly malicious (translate: foreign)

There is also a super cool red one with a star....laughs...

I have the same problem - mostly only get red X's.

Don't want to worry you, but you will draw slightly more current due to the electrical equation Power = Amps X Volts

In other words, if you go from 240 v to 120v you will draw more current for the equivalent power lamp. eg a 100 w 240 lamp will draw 0.42 A and a 100w 120V lamp will draw 0.84A.

It is not a big issue, and I would not worry about it too much.

Just make sure your connections are good and you don't have any frayed wires inside.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Talbot said:
...In other words, if you go from 240 v to 120v you will draw more current for the equivalent power lamp. eg a 100 w 240 lamp will draw 0.42 A and a 100w 120V lamp will draw 0.84A...

Correct. So, she will need the appropriate gauge wire for the additional current. Too much current for a gauge size means too much heat generated in the wire, hence a safety hazard (I know you know this already, but for the benefit of others). That's why I would recommend a completely new kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21