Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Right Stuff movie A2"s

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Who made the A2 jackets for the Right Stuff movie ? Its one of my favourite films . Their not originals you can see press studs were throat hooks should be and the arms are made up of more than two peices also the ribbing on the rist knits is too thick . If they made that film now what a choice in repro jackets they would have!! Did"nt that film kick off the A2 mania that
there is now.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
They were made by Avirex. This is stated in the book "Cowboys Of The Sky" by Avirex founder Jeff Clyman. In the '80s Avirex & AC-Delco put out a tribute a-2 for Chuck Yeager's flight in the X1. I bought one on ebay a couple of years ago. Mine is a russet cowhide-looking a-2 in size 44. I've seen one other on ebay that was seal brown, as well as a few others the color of mine. The features on it are correct except the lack of throat latch. It's ironic but I just watched The Right Stuff a few days ago for the first time in years. I noticed one pilot had a horizontal seam across the back of his a-2. Sam Shepard's a-2 looked factory distressed. Other than that I thought the other pilot's a-2s looked close to accurate as well as cool. You're right of course that they would have a better pick of repros today.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Unsinkable Molly Brown

Not the right stuff! They made Yegger and the Astronauts look like a bunch of idiots, expecially Gus Grissom! He was anything but a bumbling idiot. He was well educated, and a top notch pilot, had to be if he wanted to be one of the Magnificent 7. He was responsible for turning the Gemini capsule into the best of the early maned flight vehicles. He helped engineer it, the other Astronauts called it the Gusmobile, not just because of the tight cockpit that fit little gus like a glove, but also, because it flew like a fighter plane! On a side note, Gus invented the multi-axis thruster controller used to push the Gemini and Apollo spacecraft in linear directions for rendezvous and docking. He was also the last Astronaut to name his own space craft. After his Mercury capsule sank, he named his Gemini The Unsinkable Molly Brown! NASA was not amused, all future names would be picked by comity.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I thought that movie was great. I also love the fact that Chuck Yeager has a cameo in it. I also love the fact that Yeager actually wore his A-2 when he was testing the X-1, even though the USAF issued out new flight jackets by that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner