Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rollable Panama Hat and Hat Tube

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the occasion to travel and I wanted to take a Panama hat with me. My concerns were:

1. What hat would best suit my needs

2. How to store the hat in my luggage as I will be flying.

I would like to share the information I have gathered.

Guide to Rolling a Panama Hat

The genuine Panama Hat is famed for its supple weave and its flexibility. Although Panamas are made from a type of straw, the preparation and fineness of a Panama's weave is such that it can be rolled and easily packed away for traveling. Below are a series of illustrated step by step guides to rolling three different types of hats followed by some useful general suggestions regarding the rolling of Panama hats .

colonial-1.jpg
colonial-2.jpg
colonial-3.jpg
colonial-4.jpg

Panama Hat Rolling Tips

Rolling not folding:

Although Panamas are flexible and can be rolled without undue difficulty they should not be folded, scrunched up or mistreated. Such treatment will soon result in the straw cracking and damage to the weave.

Store unrolled :

Panamas should only be rolled for traveling and should never be stored rolled for long periods of time. The longer a hat is left rolled the longer it will take to return to its original shape. Steaming a misshapen hat can help it regain its shape, see our Care page for details.

No dry rolling:

In intense heat the straw the hat is made from can dry out and become brittle, attempts to roll hats in such a condition could result in them cracking! Humidify the hat by steaming it over a boiling kettle or misting with warm water.

No rolling Standard:

Standard grade hats with their courser weaves are less supple and flexible and thus more prone to cracking. Pachacuti recommends that our customers choose the more flexible superior or fine grade hat for rolling.

My concern was how to store it. I did not want a box. I wanted a tube. Much like this:
05b073c4-4e60-4824-a47d-81d1883f4102.gif
However. it would have been cost prohibitive.

I used the Christy's tube dimensions of 4"x12" as a guide. I thought of PVC pipe. I considered the weight of the pipe and thickness of the walls of the PVC.

I decided to try a US Post Office and I pickes up a 3"x36" mailing tube.

e0a39491.jpg

I cut it to 12" and I was ready to go.

1a87cafd.jpg

I pop it out, moisten it and I am ready to go!!:)

e9705b1a.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice solution, and much better than PVC. I have another suggestion - use the ubiquitous tube from any nice bottle of single malt Scotch. I save mine pathologically, with no apparent use (just ask my wife). So thanks CB, now I have an excuse to buy a rollable Panama, so I can use the tube from my favorite (Edradour) for something.... ;)

RBH

Bartender
carldelo said:
Nice solution, and much better than PVC. I have another suggestion - use the ubiquitous tube from any nice bottle of single malt Scotch. I save mine pathologically, with no apparent use (just ask my wife). So thanks CB, now I have an excuse to buy a rollable Panama, so I can use the tube from my favorite (Edradour) for something.... ;)

Thanks Carldelo, I now have an excuse to buy a bottle of Scotch.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Great idea and great pics, Carlisle. Now my question...can this be done to any Panama hat, or do you need to get a special brand/type?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The only issue you might have is that the natural Cuenca panama will crack eventually. It isn't treated as the white Cuencas in the photo, so it will not be as supple.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panamabob said:
The only issue you might have is that the natural Cuenca panama will crack eventually. It isn't treated as the white Cuencas in the photo, so it will not be as supple.

The hat was purchased specifically as described a "Classic English Gentleman's Roll-Up Panama". I hear what you are saying Bob I will see how it holds up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner