Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad News: Kilroy CD's father, Don (Dutch) Davis, has passed away.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:
(As originally posted on 06-10-10)
I wish to report to those who had the pleasure of meeting my father at WWII Weekend that he unfortunately suffered a massive heart attack Wednesday and was admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure, partial renal failure and pneumonia as well. He shouldn't have been alive by the time he got to the hospital.
I'd also like to report that he is one tough old bird, and his recovery to this point (only 24 hours) has everyone amazed. When I visited him today he was sitting up, eating lunch and watching old reruns of Bonanzas on the TV. His whole attitude was more like "why am I here and when may I go home?"
He's already looking forward to next year's WWII Weekend.
000_0180.jpg
I'm sad to report that the "tough old bird", my father and WWII vet Don "Dutch" Davis flew west at 5:45 EDT this morning. He wasn't just my Dad, but he was my best friend. I'll miss him terribly.
Here is a photo of him in 1945:
Dad1945.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Kilroy, I was just perusing these Reading pages, and saw the previous post about your dad's attack. Because of the obvious gravity of his condition, I was concerned. And as I scrolled down the the post directly above, I was shocked and very saddened to see it.
I guess most folks are commenting on the fact that he went out in all his glory. He must have gotten great satisfaction for the Reading Weekend. I imagine that's a very comforting thought. One less member of the Greatest Generation left with us.
My most sincere condolences.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Kilroy, I was just perusing these Reading pages, and saw the previous post about your dad's attack. Because of the obvious gravity of his condition, I was concerned. And as I scrolled down the the post directly above, I was shocked and very saddened to see it.
I guess most folks are commenting on the fact that he went out in all his glory. He must have gotten great satisfaction for the Reading Weekend. I imagine that's a very comforting thought. One less member of the Greatest Generation left with us.
My most sincere condolences.
Thank you very much for your kind words. You are absolutely right about the fact that he went out in all his glory. He thoroughly enjoyed WWII Weekend and though it entailed long days in hot weather, he was quite the trooper and hung in there. He helped with set-up on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Then he was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the event. He had the time of his life, and was especially happy to get the M-1943 field jacket. He did get to see it with his rank chevrons and unit insignia sewn on, as I took it to him for Father's Day while he was still in the hospital.
His field jacket will hang in our building (the Air Raid Warden's Post) at future WWII Weekends. That way, in a way, he'll still be with us.
000_0230.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
He might have been "just your dad," Chris...

But he and the others of his generation who fought, suffered, and gave their all continue to bless and inspire us.

Although words are inadequate at a time like this, please know that your many, many, many friends on this forum send you our thoughts, condolences, and prayers. May your dad enjoy the peaceful rest of eternity that he so richly deserves and may your family find comfort in your fond memories and his undying love.

Fred H.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Please accept my sincere condolences. The memory of a life well spent will be a consolation to you. We are all indebted to him and those of his generation who stood up to the mark in a dark hour.

Hostias et preces tibi, Domine
laudis offerimus
tu suscipe pro animabus illis,
quarum hodie memoriam facimus.
Fac eas, Domine, de morte
transire ad vitam.
Quam olim Abrahae promisisti
et semine eius.

"Skeet"

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I'm so sorry for your loss, Kilroy. May your father rest easy in that big ol' NCO club in the sky. The things he did will never be forgotten. God be with you and your family in this trying time.

Cpl C

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Kilroy, I'm so sorry..we're losing that generation so quickly, that generation for who 'thank you' never seemed enough to say to them.

I know how it is to lose your father, mine has been gone for 12 years and I miss him every single day.
Chin up, remember all the good times.
K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy