Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddle Oxfords

DanielJones said:
JP: The man in the white pinstripe suit is portraying L.B. Mayer (of the Metro Goldwyn Mayer fame). Since the time period is the 1930's I'll go out on a limb and say a man of that wealth was probably smoking a Cuban Havana.

A movie mogul. That figures. At least he had style. I could use a suit or two like that. I could also use a Havana or two but I can live without. Some of the cigars made elsewhere are rated just as high now. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Saddle shoes were first popular with college men in the 1920s. They sort of died away when the Depression hit, then made a comeback in the late '30s and hung on until the '60s. By then, they'd become staples of band uniforms and Catholic schools. Definitely less than hip.

If you must have a pair, I'd say that the Ralph Lauren Polo model is by far the most authentically '20s-'40s. There are some decent models at:

http://www.muffys.com/modern_traditional.html

The rest (Dexter, Cole-Haan, etc.) look decidedly clunky compared to vintage pairs.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I don't have any...I'd like a pair of reverse saddles like on Muffy's, but I'd want them in brown. Regular white and light brown like the Polos that were posted would be nice, as well.

Hard to get away from the '50s schoolkid look with those, though.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your opinions on the either liked or disliked saddle shoe. I know it's not something some folks like for one reason or another and that's just fine. Some of you were forced to wear them so I can understand your consternation. Again, thank you for your input on the comfort level for thoe of you that own a pair or two. It has been most helpful.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
A movie mogul. That figures. At least he had style. I could use a suit or two like that. I could also use a Havana or two but I can live without. Some of the cigars made elsewhere are rated just as high now. ;)

Regards to all,

J

James: Here is a better shot of the white striped suit on the 'movie mogul'
coq.jpg

Maybe you can get Magnoli to make one for you at a reasonable price.

Cheers!

Dan

Corey

New in Town
Nordstrom Saddle Oxfords

I have a pair of those Nordstom Saddle Oxfords discussed above. Not bad for comfort, and a good price (about $70), but they're cut kind of narrow (I purposely went up half a size and they are still kind of tight).

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Peaked Vest...

jamespowers said:
Wow! That would work but I would want the vest with a peaked lapel as well.
Magnoli could probably make that but could they make it with an action back? That would really make one heck of a suit. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

James: Interesting. I have yet to see a vest with the peaked lapels. Do you have an example to show? Possibly with & without the suit coat? Would love to see that.

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I'll wear them only with jeans, but other people think they're gold shoes.

Gold shoes? Man- they'd be too heavy for me.
Talk about a leadfoot.

Funny you should mention golf shoes though- I had a pair of black and white golf shoes when I was dressing kind of Mod, when I was about 18. I ground the spikes off so I could actually wear them, leaving just the metal domes. I coils run down the pavement, slide and leave a shower of sparks behind me- that was fun...

I'm not a Golf fan- someone said "the most boring walk ever".
It seems like it's an excuse for middle aged men to get away from the Wife...

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Now, paired with jeans or khakis I can see where some folks may concider them golf shoes. Pair them with gray flannel trousers and they have the feel of Fred Astaire to them.

Cheers!

Dan

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
[huh]
BellyTank said:
Gold shoes? Man- they'd be too heavy for me.
Talk about a leadfoot.

Funny you should mention golf shoes though- I had a pair of black and white golf shoes when I was dressing kind of Mod, when I was about 18. I ground the spikes off so I could actually wear them, leaving just the metal domes. I coils run down the pavement, slide and leave a shower of sparks behind me- that was fun...

I'm not a Golf fan- someone said "the most boring walk ever".
It seems like it's an excuse for middle aged men to get away from the Wife...

B
T

Duhhhh...two days later and I see that I spelled 'golf' as 'gold'...what a dorfuss I am.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Marc! That looks great. Now, where did you find this coat & vest?
I must have something like that. The whole shirt & tie works great with it as well.

Cheers!

Dan

It's a J. Peterman sample from the late 1990s. Unfortunately, J. Peterman never put it into production! Made in South Africa, of all places, it was meant to be part of the "Movie Legends" clothing line. I think it approximates a suit that Robert Redford wore in the film Out of Africa. The color is a chocolate brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael