Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Fran and Pit Bulls...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
K.D. Lightner said:
Bob, you would probably know this, but I am wondering if it is possible to re-breed the dogs for gentleness.

I read some years ago that a few centuries ago, the most dangerous dog in England was the English bulldog, which had been bred for an ugly sport called bull baiting, in which a pack of bulldogs was turned loose on a bull.

The "sport" was outlawed and the dogs were considered so vicious that I believe it was considered a crime to walk a bulldog in the street without a muzzle.

The dogs almost became extinct. People who loved bulldogs began to breed them for their gentleness; today, those dogs are one of the sweetest natured.

karol

Exactly so. All four of ours are as sweet as Lillian Gish and as cute as Christmas morning! Here we are enjoying a recent chilly evening...
firebullies.JPG

What you wrote is preceisely the story. I wrote a piece of historical fiction a while ago that tells the story of a bulldogger and his dog in the bull ring. In the course of research, it was plain that people were rather barbaric! It was believed that a bull who died in terror would yield more tender meat. Now we know the opposite is true.
Bullbaiting was banned by Parliament in 1835 or so.

matei

One Too Many
We knew a family with a very "loveable" Pit Bull. It was an ugly, battle-scarred dog that was involved with many ilegal fights until it somehow ended up with this family (yer man was a cop, so maybe he confiscated the dog - I don't know how it works). I'd never known it to attack anyone - however it did not like other dogs at all. It'd fly into a blind rage if it caught sight of another pooch.

We had an Alaskan Malamute that would hunt down the other dogs (and anything else non-human) in the neighbourhood whenever it would get loose (which was often - it was a very cunning dog). It finally came to a head when it mauled a neighbour's Lhasa Apso and Sheppard in the same afternoon. It was like it went on a crime spree. It was a strange animal - no growling, displaying - it would charge out of the blue and savage other dogs. You'd have to keep a firm hold on the lead because he'd be off in a flash.

It was largely indifferent to people, despite its behaviour towards other dogs. If you weren't furry/feathered or four-legged, you were in trouble.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
Bob, you would probably know this, but I am wondering if it is possible to re-breed the dogs for gentleness. karol

That was also done with the Boxer breed, they were another "Bull Baiter," that has become very much a human companion dog.

The one's I've been raised with, and the one I currently own, have been quite gentle. (Especially around children & the elderly, they seem to recognize the age difference in people)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Wow!!

scotrace said:
Exactly so. All four of ours are as sweet as Lillian Gish and as cute as Christmas morning! Here we are enjoying a recent chilly evening...
firebullies.JPG

What you wrote is preceisely the story. I wrote a piece of historical fiction a while ago that tells the story of a bulldogger and his dog in the bull ring. In the course of research, it was plain that people were rather barbaric! It was believed that a bull who died in terror would yield more tender meat. Now we know the opposite is true.
Bullbaiting was banned by Parliament in 1835 or so.

That picture would make a great card or poster!! I love it and thanks for posting it!!:) :) :)

Bebop

Practically Family
Being a long time dog trainer and behaviorist, I believe that you should have a permit to breed any breed of dog. Breeding dogs should not be a backyard hobby for the bored ones that want to show children the "miracle of being born" no matter how well meaning it may be. The fact that you can buy a Pit Bull or any breed at all for anything more than it's natural protective instinct or to have a companion pet is crazy. The general public should not be allowed to breed any dog without a proper education on dogs. I have trained many Pit Bull dogs and have found many to have a drive and tolerance for pain that is way too much for the average Pit Bull owner. People don't know what to do with Pit Bulls. They are not dogs that you can dump in a backyard, pet them once a day and then complain because they are too agressive. They do best with constant human companionship, lots of exercise and socialization with other animals from as young as possible. There are many Pit Bulls that when brought up correctly make unbelievably loyal wonderful dogs that get along well with all. The fact that they have some of the strongest jaws and the most tenacity of all breeds makes them dogs to be watched. It is very difficult to make a Pit Bull release it's jaws. My trained German Shepherd releases with one word without fail. Most Pit Bulls can't even feel being smacked with a fist on the head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR