Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 641 horsehide fit & size?

Curt

New in Town
Hi everyone,
Thinking of buying 641HH but really concerned about sizing and fit. I am 6 feet, waist 35, chest 43 and 180 lbs. Usually I wear L size jackets and shirts. From all I have read on Schott site I would stick to 44 or 46, but still cannot decide. What is important for me:
- jacket should be in slim fit, not too loose
- I ride the motorcycle and it is important that sleeves are long enough
- jacket length can be rather short, no problem.
I am just afraid that if I order 44 the sleeve length will be too short for me. Ebay sellers recommend 46, but that could be too loose in chest..
Who is wearing 641HH, I would appreciate your experience, please!

robrinay

One Too Many
I'm a similar size you 6' 1" tall 43" chest 35" waist but 6 pounds heavier and I found the 46" chest the best fit in the Schott jackets I've had but nevertheless, fit is a very personal judgement, so I would strongly recommend you to contact Schott and ask their advice - they may take a while to reply but they are the best advisors of the fit of their styles.

Curt

New in Town
Thanks for input I talked to Schott but it is still unclear shoud I stick to 44 or 46, so I decided that asking Schott owners with similar size would be the best way. Moreover, I live in Ukraine and exchanging the jacket wouldn't be that easy for me.
Robrinay, do you wear 641? Does 46 fit more regular or still snug?

robrinay

One Too Many
Sorry Curt, my 46" Schott was a different style - the 125 'multipocket' I liked it for the extra length kidney panel and it had room for a sweater layer underneath, but I sold it when I got an Aero hh 'Brando'. My other Schott is a European made Schott -a 102 'multipanel' in size L so I'm no help there either sorry.
So can I recommend that you register with the 'community' on the Schott web site because that's a good place to get advice on Schott fit.

Last edited:

Curt

New in Town
So can I recommend that you register with the 'community' on the Schott web site because that's a good place to get advice on Schott fit.
Already done. Thank again! Now I am really close to order 46, but would still appreciate any advice from 641HH owners.

Curt, I honestly believe that a size 46 would be an overkill for you! I'm literally exactly the same size as you are and I wear all my Schott jackets in size 42 - and the fit isn't even remotely as tight as I imagined it would be from reading their product descriptions (what's with the order one size up nonsense?). Even in 42 I can wear whatever I want underneath. I have this shearling vest thing that I wear under both my 618 and 641 during winter so you get the idea. Hell, I can still fit into Schott 125 sz. 38 with just a T-shirt underneath! It's skin tight but it works.

Anyhow, keep in mind that nowadays Schott had become even more forgiving when it comes to beer bellies so most of their models allow for way too much stomach and chest room for the sizes they're supposed to be in, especially compared to the shoulder area and arm length, which is why I believe that with your measurements, 46 would definitely be way too loose around you and you're going to hate it.

But like robrinay said, fit is entirely personal so maybe that's just me finding their jackets too roomy. Did you ask them for the cut/pattern specs of the 641? If not, I suggest you do that and make sure yourself you're getting the right size. Only thing I can assure you of is that the specs are 100% true.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I have a 641HH, but I'm only 5'10" and about 155, so I can't tell you what size you'd need. I have a 42, but should probably have a 40. Don't listen to Schott and their "size up" recommendations. I would do as Monitor states and compare the measurements of a well-fitting jacket to the 641HH measurements and make your decision from there.

I see your location is listed as the Ukraine. I would have suggested ordering both and returning one, but shipping would be expensive for that proposition.

Andy B.

robrinay

One Too Many
Andy has a point - my 125 was vintage - early 90's and had lace up waist/side adjustment. Manufacturers may be making sizes differently now. For example my Gibson and Barnes civil G1 is a 40R and fits me perfectly

Last edited:
Curt
I am 6'3" 240# 48" chest 40"waist and my Schott 118 in size 48 is a little big for me. It fits perfect with a heavy flannel or a sweater under. I could probably fit a 46 with just a t-shirt under o.k.
Hope this gives you some insight to sizing. I'm sure you will want a little room for warm clothes, but maybe the 46 is way to much room.
Hope also it is calm where you are located.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Curt

New in Town
Thanks guys all of you, I already decided upon buying 46 (mainly because sleeve length) but now it seems I am at the starting point... I really don't want much room in my jacket. I've got a Schott table with measurements, but in some point I just don't know how the measures are taken, for example CHEST (in half) - is it the same as armpit to armpit? SWEEP? CROSS SHOULDER?
Also, my current H-D jacket measures sleeve length 26" from shoulder to the bottom sleeve end, but 641HH size 44 the same length is only 24 3/4", which could be too short.

Last edited:

Curt

New in Town
What I would really appreciate is if someome of the same size as me wearing 641, could post a picture of the jacket fit, especially sleeves.

I wanted horsehide when I bought mine, but had to settle on the cowhide because it was the only option in extra length sizes.

Curt - I could not find a size chart on Schott's site, but yes pit to pit x2 should be the chest measure. I don't know about "sweep". I would think the actual armpit to armpit measure of the jacket should be a few inches bigger than your physical chest size, but I'm pretty sure this is factored into the sizing, like I said, my jacket size is my actual chest size, but the jacket is pretty loose over just a t-shirt.
I can appreciate your frustration, I'm sure shipping must be insane, it's ridiculous just to post letters to Ukraine from the States, and with the current exchange rate you are staring at a substantial investment.

Thanks guys all of you, I already decided upon buying 46 (mainly because sleeve length) but now it seems I am at the starting point... I really don't want much room in my jacket. I've got a Schott table with measurements, but in some point I just don't know how the measures are taken, for example CHEST (in half) - is it the same as armpit to armpit? SWEEP? CROSS SHOULDER?
Also, my current H-D jacket measures sleeve length 26" from shoulder to the bottom sleeve end, but 641HH size 44 the same length is only 24 3/4", which could be too short.

I thought it was (pit-to-pit x 2) - 4 gives you the size. Me being a 44 would look for (44 + 4)/2 = 24 pit-to-pit measurement. 22" pit-to-pit would come out to a size 40 which would be too small for me.

Curt, I've been through this with Schott and yeah, what the other members already said, Chest (in half) is actually pit-to-pit. If I am not mistaken, on Schott pattern chart, Sweep should be chest circumference - or rather 2 x pit-to-pit). Usually, chest width is taken right under the armpits so the same should go for the jacket as well. Cross shoulders is measured from one shoulder seam to another, usually across back, while the jacket is lying flat.

Unfortunately yeah, for some reason, the 641 indeed does have shorter sleeves than any of the Perfecto models. Can't understand why, though, as it's being advertised as a true motorcycle jacket and anyone who's ever been riding a bike can tell you that there ain't no such thing as an MC jacket with sleeves that are too long. 641HH is a gorgeous jacket but I find it practically useless for riding... Or maybe it's meant to be worn on a specific kind of bike? :) What's the waist on 641 sz. 46?

Either way, if you don't mind me giving you an advice, you're still better off with a slightly shorter sleeves than a jacket in which you'll end up swimming. That's just something you can't have on a bike. Neither is good, but I find the latter to be much worse...

Curt

New in Town
you're still better off with a slightly shorter sleeves than a jacket in which you'll end up swimming. That's just something you can't have on a bike. Neither is good, but I find the latter to be much worse...
I will go this way and order 44. Thank you!

andy b.

One of the Regulars
On my 42 the sleeves are a little under 24", and there is a some wrinkling, so originally it was probably at least 24".

Curt

New in Town
I was lucky to find Schott dealer here in Ukraine, that stocks different sizes of 641HH, so tomorrow I will try 44 on. By the way, the price tag here is around $900 for 641:eusa_doh:

Congratulations.
The price does not seem too unreasonable given that the jacket sells on their site for $735 USD and I would suspect shipping would run you at least another $100 or so.
Are you in or near Kiev? I was there a few years ago, and was really surprised how many American brands I saw everywhere.

Curt

New in Town
Congratulations.
The price does not seem too unreasonable given that the jacket sells on their site for $735 USD and I would suspect shipping would run you at least another $100 or so.
Are you in or near Kiev? I was there a few years ago, and was really surprised how many American brands I saw everywhere.
I live in Lviv, which is 350 miles from Kiev, but I often visit Kiev. Yes, almost every brand is presented there but usually price is much higher than in US, that's why I usually purchase sfuff online whenever it is possible. For example, Harley-Davidson parts and merchandise in almost 3 times overpriced comparing to US dealerships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner