Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H Reboot

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Hey all, if you recall I have a 689 cafe w/ the dress collar in horse. One of my favorites and not a whole lot of money. Two things, however, always bugged me...

1. Too warm. Torso is lined with very warm quilted felt-like material. Too hot for riding weather and made the garmet feel bulky.

2. Storm collar. I know its supposed to block wind but it got in the way and I have other jackets for bad weather.

So, a few weeks ago I sent it to Arrow Cleaners to have the liner replaced with something lighter as well as have the storm collar removed. Well you guessed it, the garment came back and their tailor also shipped back the parts that were taken out. Here are the results:

Dunno how I put up with that flap for so long. ******* dorso fin. Jacket looks cleaner without it and is easier to zip. You can also see the black rayon lining peeking through.

Untitledv.jpg

Here's that bulky liner that made this strictly a winter coat. Now its more like 3 seasons, up to 70 degrees.

CIMG2717.jpg

No more stupid storm flap and I'm actually not sweating my **** off.lol

Untitled.jpg

222.jpg

Untitledvv.jpg

Close up of grain, really starting to pop out more and more:

Untitledee.jpg

111.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
That's a very nice result, well done.

I was interested in having a similar treatment done to a jacket I have...
If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much should I expect to spend for a re-lining job such as this?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Metatron said:
That's a very nice result, well done.

I was interested in having a similar treatment done to a jacket I have...
If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much should I expect to spend for a re-lining job such as this?
I paid 140 + return shipping. Shipping in was free.

In hindsight, I could have sent it to Schott. They would have charged 125 but would not cover the cost of shipping in. Arrow did good work but I feel I was a bit misled in terms of pricing. Thought they would cut me a better deal than Schott. It all comes out even in the end.

Schott's right here in NJ so I probably could have just dropped it off in Elizabeth. Just based on the postings I've seen at the Schott forum, the folks behind the product really believe in their product.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
JanSolo said:
Nice trim fit and a classic jacket. Judging from the pics I would say the result is excellent and the effort clearly paid off. I hope you'll wear it more often, now.
Thanks man. Yeah it's got a nice v-cut that feels tailored but is really just off the rack. Got lucky w/ the fit on this one. Probably my best fitting leather jacket w/ the exception of the white cafe that was custom made. Sans lining the jacket is definitely more versatile.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
That jacket looks great! Could you post the address of the cleaners that did the work? I have an older CHP that needs a liner.
Thanks

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I did nearly the same thing with my 641HH.. always hated the lining and felt.. had it replaced. Good luck with yours.. ride safe.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I really do like the style of Schott's HH 689. However it seems like Schott jacket sleeves are a tad short. Their cafe jackets seem to be cut for wider, blocky, shorter armed guys as opposed to slender, longer arm body shapes. Which is why I had to go with an Enfield, ...26.5 inch sleeves (or there abouts) on a sz. 40

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Bonneville said:
I really do like the style of Schott's HH 689. However it seems like Schott jacket sleeves are a tad short. Their cafe jackets seem to be cut for wider, blocky, shorter armed guys as opposed to slender, longer arm body shapes. Which is why I had to go with an Enfield, ...26.5 inch sleeves (or there abouts) on a sz. 40
I don't think my arms are short, but I guess you could describe my build as blocky.

For reference, I'm 5 9" 180 lbs. Size 42 jacket. The sleeves on the 42 are just about right, I might even prefer 1/4" more to be perfect. If you're over my height or have lanky arms, the sleeves would likely be too short.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
I don't think my arms are short, but I guess you could describe my build as blocky.

For reference, I'm 5 9" 180 lbs. Size 42 jacket. The sleeves on the 42 are just about right, I might even prefer 1/4" more to be perfect. If you're over my height or have lanky arms, the sleeves would likely be too short.

Didn't mean to suggest that you had short arms :) I meant short arms in relative terms as compared to guys with long arms and compared to other motorcycle jackets whose sleeves are usually at least 26 inches. After looking at a number of manufacturers I think Schott sleeves come out shorter than most. I do believe others have remarked on it as well. That said the jacket looks to fit you perfectly and its great jacket, just wish they made one that fit my dimensions.

I take something close to a 38 or 40 in the 689, I think these have a 25 inch sleeve which would be too short for me by a couple of inches when holding onto the throttle. I believe a 42 has a 25.5 inch sleeve.

One of the Regulars
Bonneville said:
Didn't mean to suggest that you had short arms :) I meant short arms in relative terms as compared to guys with long arms and compared to other motorcycle jackets whose sleeves are usually at least 26 inches. After looking at a number of manufacturers I think Schott sleeves come out shorter than most. I do believe others have remarked on it as well. That said the jacket looks to fit you perfectly and its great jacket, just wish they made one that fit my dimensions.

I take something close to a 38 or 40 in the 689, I think these have a 25 inch sleeve which would be too short for me by a couple of inches when holding onto the throttle. I believe a 42 has a 25.5 inch sleeve.

They can customize the jacket up to your specs, for an extra charge. Not a big deal.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
No worries. I actually do have a blocky/stocky build. :D According to the body mass index, I'm in the overweight range! Just goes to show how meaningless the BMI can be sometimes.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/as.../results_overweight.html?pounds=180&inches=69
Bonneville said:

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Hello, newbie to FL but love all the great info here..

Thanks for the photos and info Caveman.. the look and one-piece back of the 689H are one of my favorites but always thought that Schott's horse felt somewhat pleather-ish and had way too much applied finish.. I also hated the lining as it was way too warm and made the jacket feel spongy IMO..

I remember someone mentioning that once they removed the lining from their HH Schott, the horsehide felt incredibly thin.. you didn't mention anything about how the horse felt after the lining was removed.. how was it? was it noticeably thinner?

Thanks,
Chi-Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo