Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

schott a2 jackets??

charliezerotwo

New in Town
Hello,
I would just like some opinions.
I am thinking of purchasing a Schott a-2 bomber in black "naked cowhide'.
It isnt quite as traditional as some jackets, but what I like about it is it has a removable fur-like liner and collar. Ive had a Schott in my early 20's and i remember it was like a piece of armor, took forever to wear in, and was a great all purpose jacket, great for motorcycling etc.
I havent owned a leather in some years, but I recieved my tax refund, and my very gracious wife says i ought to treat myself, (im lucky in that way)
So any opinions about Schott and their currant quality?
much appreciated.
C02.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Why not a real jacket?

I haven't handled any recent Schott jackets, but I also had one of those industrial-strength bomber jackets back in the 80s. In fact, it's still sitting in the back of my closet: it's been too small for me for years, but it's essentially indestructible, and I'm hoping my son will want to wear it when he gets a little older...

I'm sure the newer Schotts are still mega-tough and well made, but I strongly urge you to consider geting a more authentic flight jacket - either a current-spec A-2 or a repro 30s/40s type, or if you prefer the fur collar, a current-spec G-1 or repro M-422A. All of these are somewhat lighter weight than the cowhide Schott jackets, but they have classic styling and a "real" feel when you wear them that is absolutely worth checking out. (Of course, if you want a heavier, more moto type jacket, and you don't care about classic styling, go with the Schott - these are very nice jackets, even though they are a bastardized mish-mosh of styles.)

If you have your heart set on black, Flight Suits "Civil" A-2 comes in either goatskin or cowhide, and has convenient handwarmer and wallet pockets (for well under what you'd spend on a Schott). They make their Civil G-1 in black too. I think Cooper makes black A-2s also. And I see that US Wings now makes a black A-2, and it's on sale - http://www.uswings.com/monthlysale.asp.

On the brown side of the fence, there are tons of choices, in a wide variety of price ranges...

Anyway, as somebody who was once very happy with a Schott but has since moved on to the more authentic jackets, I figured I'd mention it.

Some sites to look over for research:

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather.html

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=home

http://www.legendaryusa.com/

http://www.neilcooperusa.com/

http://www.usauthentic.com/

http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cata.html

http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/200502/a2.shtml

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I bought a Schott recently and strongly recommend them. My jacket isn't a flight jacket though. I got the 141 cafe racer. You can see and feel the quality. The customer service is great as well.

If you can find the jacket in a retail store you may save yourself 25% or so off the internet price.

charliezerotwo

New in Town
Thank you Dr Strange for your opinion. I understand that authenticity is a real factor for some gents, Im really not that concerned with that. Im more interested in the durability factor,and I remember my old a-2 having that.
In the near future Im Going to be looking into a Bike, (another blessing from the wife) so im looking for a leather that will be used hard. I just prefer bomber style jackets to highway style jackets, but your opinion is noted and appreciated thank you.

Kronos, thats cool. That kind of tells me what Im looking for. Ive emailed Schott a couple of times about sizing and ive recived prompt and courteous replies which is a big bonus. Also. there is no tax or shipping if i order direct, from the factory.
Ride on.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Last Fall I bought a Legendary USA Trojan Horse jacket last, which unless I am mistaken, is manufactured at the Schott factory. While my initial impression of the jacket was quite favorable, after about a week, stitches began to come undone and I noticed other errors such as the row of stitching that secures the sleeve cuff snaps not being finished properly on one sleeve, etc. This was following having to send it back because they had forgotten to put the washers that secure the canvas on the inside of the belt behind the grommets that formed the belt holes.

Customer service in rectifying the situation was quite unsatisfactory, although I'm not too sure if that's Legendary or Schott's fault. I'd be more sure if I was clearer as to the relationship between the two. Basically, I sent Legendary USA an email letting them know that for 600 dollars, it'd be nice to have a jacket that wasn't falling apart, especially seeing how Wilson's seems to have no problem meeting that standard with products that retail for roughly 1/3 that price. They did not even give me a courtesy reply to say "Tough luck, kid."

Again, seeing how this wasn't Schott per se, but rather Legendary USA, I'm not too sure how relevant or useful my story is to you. But I was quite surprised at the quality issues and the poor customer service, as I'm sure Schott did not build their reputation on such things. If I were ever to consider making a leather jacket purchase in the future for a decent chunk of change, I'd just assume spend the extra money on a brand like Aero, etc and avoid the frustration, disappointment, and poor customer service that I encountered with Legendary USA.

Of course, if I'm mistaken about the relationship between Schott and Legendary, please disregard all I've just written. But I'm like 99 percent sure they're made in the same factory, by the same people.

Fardad

Familiar Face
Being it my first Schott jacket ever, my jacket's stitching is actually pretty rugged (Have had it about a year now though). My only complaint about it (and perhaps it's common of all A-2s) is that the knits don't possess a strong elasticity as I would like (I want something that'll pretty much cut the circulation at the wrists and waist :rage: ).

But other than that the jacket is a tank. I would buy from Schott again.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Based on the reputation of their product, its quite plausible that I ended up with a lemon. To err is human, so the fact that my jacket was poorly made in itself isn't what bothered me as much as the total failure and lack of effort to rectify the situation by thier customer service. Glad to hear your A-2 from them is put together well though.

maxhogan

New in Town
Re: Schott jacket

I got a lambskin Schott last year with the zip-out liner from U.S. Wings and am happy with it with 2 exceptions:
The elasticity of the knit previously mentioned,
The zipper catches the leather and leaves it roughed up. When I called US Wings, they said that was normal.
I had received the cowhide version, but it was too stiff (and ran small). I spoke with the owner and he recommended the lambskin version. It's much softer and runs a little larger.
I like the fact that they are made in the USA and seem well made.

Fardad

Familiar Face
When I received my cowhide, it was very stiff. But over the period of 2-3 months it is now super buttery smooth and flexible. The break-in period for these jackets are quite short.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I would seriously recommend a M-422A jacket from Flight Suits (also known as Gibson & Barnes). It is a repro of the WWII Navy flight jacket. It comes in a supple but tough goatskin and has a nice genuine mouton fur collar. Their prices are reasonable and they are a hell of a jacket!!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also have a Flight Suits M-422A. It is a great jacket and reportedly an accurate repro. It's definitely a bargain in the repro market. However, it is a lightweight in comparison to Schott jackets. If you are used to the tough cowhide of Schott jackets (and other moto jackets), you may not be impressed with the FS M-422A.

Not that the goatskin on the M-422A won't last for decades, or that the sewing quality isn't top-notch: it's just a lot thinner/lighter than Schott cowhide. Just be aware of the difference: while the Schott G-1/A-2 style jackets may look a bit like the official flight jackets that inspired them, they are much heavier duty garments.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dam' straight Doc...My Schott A-2 is 15 years old and now in the possession of my dad. The cow has worn but little in all those years - it even still squeaks. The lining and cuffs are all pilled and the pockets set so close together it looks like a zip-up hoodie, but dad doesn't care. It's comfy and tough.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I recently gave away my own 25-year-old Schott bomber to goodwill. (It had been my main winter jacket for several years in the 80s.) My teenage son didn't want it, and the knits were stretched and pilled, the white pile "fur" was dirty, it was pretty stained and scratched, etc. - it just wasn't worth selling. But it was still completely solid in terms of the leather, lining, seams, zipper, etc. One *really* tough mutha!

Faisalha9159

New in Town
70`s ebay Schott jacket

I recently bought a second hand Schott jacket off ebay. It was listed as a vintage 70`s jacket. Dark brown in colour with a sheepskin lining and a non removable fur collar. Its not an A2 but some kind of an A2/G1 hybrid.

Nonetheless its very heavy and has a solid vintage feel to it with the leather well worn in and very thick. I beleive it is made of heavier weight cowhide, and looks great with jeans. Schott seem to make jackets which were built to withstand anyhing it seems!

Am very pleased with the jacket. :)

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Vintage Schott 1970s jacket

I won this item on e bay, the sizing was a bit of guesswork but nevertheless I am very happy with the jacket- the leather is thick and the jacket is comfortable to wear with a decent fit.

Here are some pics...

Picscarandjackets024.jpg

Picscarandjackets040.jpg

Picscarandjackets039.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's EXACTLY like the one I just recently gave away. (Except that mine was in considerably worse condition.) I got mine new in about 1983 and wore it through five or six tough NYC winters. Very functional, quite warm, and almost indestructible... but really NOTHING like either a spec A-2 or G-1!

Faisalha9159

New in Town
I`m looking into an A2 from US Authentics as well.......but I was still shocked at the thickness and "strength" of this Schott hybrid. This is a jacket that I will definately be wearing for a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic