Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott and Horween Chips

Damo

A-List Customer
Hello everoyone, its been a while since i've posted and even looked at leather jackets on the inter web... Been trying to stay away from leather jackets for a little bit. I was on Schott's website last night and discovered this bad boy...

P6521_BRN_STIL.jpg P6521_BRN_BACKcroped.jpg

here is Schott's description of the jacket taken from there website

"Based on the jackets worn by the California Highway Patrol. It is true to the original in most of the details with eyelets and lacing at the sides for easy fit adjustment, and snap belt loops to accommodate a heavy police gun belt. Made in Horween Chrome Excel U.S. horsehide, lined in 100% wool plaid. Available in very limited quantities.
Made in USA"

- See more at: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/chips1.htm?catID=8#sthash.OhbrfX36.dpuf

Now I really like it and think it would be a great add as I am "IN NEED" of a brown horsehide leather jacket with belt loops and side laces. I almost bought it last night and then I thought the price is on par with an Aero leather horsehide jacket with custom fitting and other custom options from insurrection. It seems to me that at the same price point a lot of people would go the aero custom route to guarantee the desired fit no?? I do think the combo of Schott and Horween is pretty cool though and it is only available in limited quantities...

I would love to hear your thoughts of the jacket and also your thoughts about my comparison. Cheers

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I like it! I am not into brown leather, but i really like the simplicity of this one, no zipped pockets, no snap buttons on the collar, just understated and clean.

I own a Schott 644 and it is a good jacket, nice leather, good stitching, but the fit is weird and i had to have it tailored to fit right.

I would say if you can try one on and it fits you, buy it, you won't regret it. If it doesn't fit you then get one from aero.
If there is no need to pay more for a custmo Aero, why do it?

Not for me, simply because of the side lace look, plus most standard sized Schott MC jackets are too short in the sleeves for riding (for me). For that price I prefer a custom fit so I don't agonize over whether it fits 'good enough' or not.
HD

thor

Call Me a Cab
It's a cool jacket but I agree with HD; for $1300 I'd go for a full-custom Aero HH jacket through Insurrection.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
clean looking front, but looking at the straight slim sleeve hanging down on the side with no action at the shoulder , it is not designed to ride a motorcycle with despite the name

clean looking front, but looking at the straight slim sleeve hanging down on the side with no action at the shoulder , it is not designed to ride a motorcycle with despite the name

That's the great thing about Vanson riding jackets and another reason I favor them over any Schott. I noticed that some models have pre-curved sleeves and somehow pattern situated where they don't ride up as much as many jackets when reaching for handlebars (or at least my older Vanson Enfield is that way). Also in my size (42) the sleeve length is just doable for me at 26".
HD

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Instead of getting a jacket "Based on the jackets worn by the California Highway Patrol",
why not order a custom jacket made by a company that actually makes motorcycle cop
jackets, Johnson Leather of SF? It'll cost less, be more authentic, and have a custom fit.
Just sayin'.

Instead of getting a jacket "Based on the jackets worn by the California Highway Patrol",
why not order a custom jacket made by a company that actually makes motorcycle cop
jackets, Johnson Leather of SF? It'll cost less, be more authentic, and have a custom fit.
Just sayin'.

That's a great idea. I keep forgetting about Johnson Leather.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The Schott stuff just seems to be priced too high. Now if they have a model someone's dead set on, I suppose they'll pay.

I think they are keeping their fingers crossed that they can market their way to success...past the brands that only WE know of. That's the benefit of big advertising $$

pawineguy

One Too Many
I think it's all been said pretty well above. It you happen to fit exactly into their standard sizing, then it's a nice option, but when you can get full custom for the same price or less with the same leather, to me it's a no brainer to have one made at Johnson, Aero, Diamond Dave, etc...

pawineguy

One Too Many
I think they are keeping their fingers crossed that they can market their way to success...past the brands that only WE know of. That's the benefit of big advertising $$

Plus they have a large dealer network so they need to build in profit for all of their retailers while many of their competitors do a majority of their business direct. Schott has to keep their direct prices high to not undercut their many re-sellers.

Edward

Bartender
Nice, if pricey. I've never cared for the side lacing, though... I think it would look better with zips there.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the guys who mentioned Johnson Leathers are absolutely right. One of the great advantages of this forum is precisely this kind of information. Besides all the other advantages of going with JL, you'd probably save a bundle.

Just sayin'.

Sure, but then again, this could be made a disclaimer for anyone who asks about some jacket design they like, right? I mean, what's preventing anyone from going to JL for, say, some Aero design? They've proved to be more than capable of making a stitch for a stitch copy of whatever jacket you can think of, Aero's entire line included.

It's Schott! No doubt this is a great jacket and we all know that the price reflects the brand, and that's what we're here for - same story with Aero, Langlitz, etc. And I'm positive Damo's looking at Schott website for a reason - not to find a design he likes only so he'd go someplace else for a copy of it. Besides, Schott used to make actual CHP jackets in the past so they ought to know what they're doing.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
this jacket though really look slim fitting fashion MC jacket, by looking at that high armhole, and straight + long torso, seems really like fashion oriented design
However seems like they can't decide which route they want to pursue, since the horse hide and that lacing suggest they want it to be purpose oriented, I'm confused.

slim sleeve, trim chest & back with no action gusset, sleeve not rotated forward not precurved, no elasticized part, thick hide, I wonder how little arm movement possibility in that jacket, probably you need to take it off, to scratch your nose lol

Last edited:

the loco

One of the Regulars
Does Johnson Leathers work with Horween CXL? It would be nice to have a Schott 641HH, 671 or 689H in CXL steer, not sure about horse because its stiff. However it's not worth $1300. One could get those jackets around 500-600 in standard leather.

But its true the 641HH has very short sleeves for riding, the 689H is somewhat short too in that aspect. The Enfield was made specifically for riding, but there is a more fitted Japan version.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Does Johnson Leathers work with Horween CXL? It would be nice to have a Schott 641HH, 671 or 689H in CXL steer, not sure about horse because its stiff. However it's not worth $1300. One could get those jackets around 500-600 in standard leather.

But its true the 641HH has very short sleeves for riding, the 689H is somewhat short too in that aspect. The Enfield was made specifically for riding, but there is a more fitted Japan version.

Johnson's has a black overdyed CXL steer with a brown base (overdyed). But they are also willing to make a jacket from any Horween leather if you order the leather yourself directly from Horween. It's quite a process but it can be done. I think they carry Horween Vermont leather as standard too but it's not CXL I don't think.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Johnson's has a black overdyed CXL steer with a brown base (overdyed). But they are also willing to make a jacket from any Horween leather if you order the leather yourself directly from Horween. It's quite a process but it can be done. I think they carry Horween Vermont leather as standard too but it's not CXL I don't think.

You're correct, the Vermont is a straight vegetable tanned leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24