Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott "Classic Truck Jacket"

Hello, I have never really owned a leather jacket and I was wondering if you could tell me about the sleeves on this item I spotted. Is this some kind of pre-distressing they have done? Or would it be a "natural" feature of the hide:

img64021676.jpg

img64021677.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's a nice looking HalfBelt. Any decent leather manufacturer should make one. No leather has such properties right from the start. The creases and folds on the sleeves are artificially created. Presumably by steam or hot water. The outer shell gets evenly misted with a water-detergent mixture (for faster penetration) and then the sleeves are shaped as desired and left to dry. On certain hides this creates a lasting effect.
Here are the sleeves of my veg tanned goat HB after a short spray mist procedure. By now they have relaxed a bit but the effect is still there:

4976020651_572390c065_z.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Nice looking jacket. I think that's the first vintage styled option I've seen from Schott that can't be traced directly to either a military or a motorcycling predecessor. I'm holding out on a new leather til I can afford an Aero 30s halfbelt in black (I want a black leather that isn't a motorcycle jacket), but if I saw a used one of these going cheap in black, I'd definitely consider it.

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. Funny, that one you posted is apparently used and looks quite a bit smoother.

I don't know if I could bring myself to buy anything made to appear broken in.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I really, really like it, but it appears to only exist overseas and not in the U.S. directly.

Bummer for me.

I've sent an email to Schott to see if they have them in the states, or if it has to be a special construction.

Wish me luck.

dv

Forrest

Familiar Face
Yeah, I've never seen this jacket from Schott. Not enough leather jacket producers make halfbelts! I'm really curious about this jacket.

I really, really like it, but it appears to only exist overseas and not in the U.S. directly.

Bummer for me.

I've sent an email to Schott to see if they have them in the states, or if it has to be a special construction.

Wish me luck.

dv

I've had stuff sent to me in Aus' from Rakuten, did they specify they would not send this to the US? Please let us know what you find - I'd perhaps be interested in this without the tumbling and with an all cotton liner. (and maybe without the Japanese market price tag)

Nice looking jacket...I'm holding out on a new leather til I can afford an Aero 30s halfbelt in black (I want a black leather that isn't a motorcycle jacket), but if I saw a used one of these going cheap in black, I'd definitely consider it.

I've promised myself an Aero, but only when I've beefed up a bit. Both as a reward and for size considerations. This model from Schott also comes in black.

Last edited:

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
, did they specify they would not send this to the US? Please let us know what you find - I'd perhaps be interested in this without the tumbling and with an all cotton liner. (and maybe without the Japanese market price tag)

I sent Schott NYC (the parent company I think) an email enquiry about this jacket. When I do a google search, besides this thread, the only hits I get are from Japanese sites. I don't want to pay overseas shipping or the exchange rates if I don't have to.

IF I hear back from Schott, I'll post up for all to know.

dv

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
from the email: "This is a style we make for our Japanese distributor and is only available in Japan."

save up the pennies if you're interested and can find a way to order.....

dv

normanf

One of the Regulars
I've had stuff sent to me in Aus' from Rakuten, did they specify they would not send this to the US? Please let us know what you find - I'd perhaps be interested in this without the tumbling and with an all cotton liner. (and maybe without the Japanese market price tag)
I've promised myself an Aero, but only when I've beefed up a bit. Both as a reward and for size considerations. This model from Schott also comes in black.

If you want to buy Japan-only goods from Japanese stores that don't support international shipping, you have two choices: get a free Japanese forwarding address with Tenso.com or use a buying service like White Rabbit Express Service or Sharp.co.jp - they are both fast and reliable in getting Japan goods shipped to the USA.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Japanese Schotts are the best, I've just received a 641xx and it's a stunning jacket, much better than the standard 641, the quality is similar to my Aeros, unfortunately they are very difficult to procure.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Japanese Schotts are the best, I've just received a 641xx and it's a stunning jacket, much better than the standard 641, the quality is similar to my Aeros, unfortunately they are very difficult to procure.

Can someone explain why this is and how it works? Are the jackets made in the same factory as other schotts and isn't the company missing out on a whole market outside of Japan?

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Why do companies like schotts make designs for "just" japan? Why not have all the designs available Int'l?

normanf

One of the Regulars
American companies make special designs for the Japan market. Until quite recently, it wasn't possible to buy them from Japan. Just beware of the price in Yen and you should be OK.

The shops on Rakuten are reliable and good to work with even given the language barriers and shipping from Japan is easy with EMS. That's the best way to prevent a lost package. If its a Japan only store, a virtual Tenso address or a proxy buying service will take all the hassle out of getting a package shipped abroad.

Last edited:

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Can someone explain why this is and how it works? Are the jackets made in the same factory as other schotts and isn't the company missing out on a whole market outside of Japan?

For what I understood most japanese Schotts are made in NJ but some are also MIJ (by Buzz perhaps?) under license. Schott NYC has a deal with the japanese distributor who asked for some styles that are popular there, mainly vintage Schotts like the 641XX and the 613XX. If they have an exclusive agreement they can't sell the jackets outside japan but you can purchase them from a japanese seller. My 641XX is made in the USA, I grabbed from a internet seller at a good price, unfortunately it's a little large but this is what I could get...you can find the pics on the japanese website, it's a really nice jacket and historically very accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy