Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

schott goatskin g1

hillbillylost

New in Town
Let me say first I have been lurking around for a while reading different and interestinig threads, but I am a first time caller. I am purchasing my first g1. I was wondering what opinions are held about schott goatskins.
Opinions are welcome. I found the a gr8gear.com. I had to call to get the manufacturer. The price seems reasonable.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
There are others here much better qualified than me who can speak to its faithfulnees to the military flight jacket. I defer to them.

I purchased a 233 model G-1-esque goat jacket which I subsequently sold to a gentleman in Ireland on ebay. In terms of leather quality the jacket was very good. Leather was very thick and heavy and the mouton collar felt great against my skin. I've owned several decent cow hide (Hein Gericke, Schott, Foxcreek) and horsehide (Schott, Excelled) jackets and was surprised by the heft and fine grain of the goat. I would've kept the 233 had it fit me right. Looking for another one now.

Based on other threads, I believe the Schott A-2/G-1 inspired jackets are off on details but are generally heavier and thicker than the actual military jackets.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
bburtner@moran said:
My advice would be to look for s good Star Sportswear from the early 60s on evilbay,then you will have an original...

My 2 cents: it's a good advice. I think vintage schott have a strange cut. Often the back is too short, the arms are too long, etc... I've got a Ralph edward 7823A (1961) : really pleasant to wear, and fell a beautifull object! ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL