Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott x Shinki Jacket

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
My initial thoughts were positive... It's a beautiful leather, the front looks good. And Schott has upped their product image game.

It's an interesting choice to have a belt but no epaulets, where the stars are normally found. Their "clean" jackets usually have no belt and no epaulets, and honestly, I'm a fan of those.

I get WHY they did what they did with the back, but I don't like the way it looks.

And yes, the jacket on the model is a touch too long (but maybe the model is just too short?). It's tough to tell since they don't list jacket measurements on the site.

In that price range, I'd much rather go with an Addict jacket.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
My initial thoughts were positive... It's a beautiful leather, the front looks good. And Schott has upped their product image game.

It's an interesting choice to have a belt but no epaulets, where the stars are normally found. Their "clean" jackets usually have no belt and no epaulets, and honestly, I'm a fan of those.

I get WHY they did what they did with the back, but I don't like the way it looks.

And yes, the jacket on the model is a touch too long (but maybe the model is just too short?). It's tough to tell since they don't list jacket measurements on the site.

In that price range, I'd much rather go with an Addict jacket.
I just notice this... THAT JACKET IS WAY TOO LONG.
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 11.13.34 AM.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The back paneling threw me at first, due to it being different from what I expect, but I ended up liking it. I think this is a great design overall; they just need to shorten it (provided the one on the model there isn’t just an overly long pre release version, which is possible). This is also a rare case where I don’t mind the belt snap, since the belt is removable overall so there will always be some hardware ‘left’.

I’m actually glad they didn’t just do a straight 613/618 in Shinki, given how many brands are already doing that.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
The back paneling threw me at first, due to it being different from what I expect, but I ended up liking it. I think this is a great design overall; they just need to shorten it (provided the one on the model there isn’t just an overly long pre release version, which is possible). This is also a rare case where I don’t mind the belt snap, since the belt is removable overall so there will always be some hardware ‘left’.

I’m actually glad they didn’t just do a straight 613/618 in Shinki, given how many brands are already doing that.
If they had done a 503, I might have jumped on it. But I do think it’s respectable that they did something more unique.

This also isn’t a horrible marketing strategy… While scanning their site, I was reminded of a few of their jackets on my wish list, and also discovered the P230. Has that come up in other threads? 6905FEB0-2E4A-47BB-96C6-F1059C899C00.jpeg 7A51E004-FC84-4E26-8DFF-C0667D7DB6E5.jpeg

Briefly

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/thoughts-on-schott-quality.96769/post-2841179

I love the style and the Schott looks awesome. European price is ridiculous though (€1255). That's almost custom Thedi price point.

View attachment 419750

I haven't handled the Schott but I highly doubt it's as good as this Thedi.

View attachment 419752 View attachment 419751 View attachment 419753
@Marc mndt, NOTHING is as good as that Thedi!

...except maybe my Imperial :p

Aloysius

I got the measurements from Schott. The length actually isn't outrageous. @ton312 I think the model is either shorter than it says, or has a short torso. The jacket is 26" long (25" on the smallest sizes, 27 on the biggest sizes")

It's a trim jacket. The medium has a 21" P2P, the large a 22.5" P2P.

The large would probably fit me quite well over all. It lacks bi-swing but Schott's pattern work is usually very good so I'd imagine movement is decent.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I got the measurements from Schott. The length actually isn't outrageous. @ton312 I think the model is either shorter than it says, or has a short torso. The jacket is 26" long (25" on the smallest sizes, 27 on the biggest sizes")

The large would probably fit me quite well over all. It lacks bi-swing but Schott's pattern work is usually very good so I'd imagine movement is

Take one for the team, and BUY IT!

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars

Aloysius

Take one for the team, and BUY IT!

It's a beautiful jacket, but I just had Schott modify my 613SH into being pretty much my ideal Perfecto.

Part of me is still tempted– although at this point it's an impossibility anyway. (To get a large is a preorder, and the jacket would arrive mid-May (when I'd be traveling for a few weeks).

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

The large would probably fit me quite well over all. It lacks bi-swing but Schott's pattern work is usually very good so I'd imagine movement is decent.
yep, finally they make one that has 1) removable belt and 2) sizing that hits the 22.5 ptp mark instead of the usual 22, 23,24 etc. I'm always stuck in between sizing or by chance if they have a ptp that fits then the shoulder is something crazy. But for a large to be that trim (especially with usual Schott sizing), it tells you the overall design is trim for tall, lankier sort of body.

Price is crazy though. I think even with recent price increases, Field Leathers is still cheaper or about the same and it's most likely higher end Shinki besides being full blown custom. But biggest issue for me is the back. There's too much going on. From the front, that is rocking as per usual perfecto style. Schott has the proportions down with the placement of the pockets, zippers, etc.

Aloysius

yep, finally they make one that has 1) removable belt and 2) sizing that hits the 22.5 ptp mark instead of the usual 22, 23,24 etc. I'm always stuck in between sizing or by chance if they have a ptp that fits then the shoulder is something crazy. But for a large to be that trim (especially with usual Schott sizing), it tells you the overall design is trim for tall, lankier sort of body.

Price is crazy though. I think even with recent price increases, Field Leathers is still cheaper or about the same and it's most likely higher end Shinki besides being full blown custom. But biggest issue for me is the back. There's too much going on. From the front, that is rocking as per usual perfecto style. Schott has the proportions down with the placement of the pockets, zippers, etc.

Shoulders on this are great. I’m away from my computer but the 22.5” P2P has 18.5” or so shoulders, which is perfect.

This is definitely pricy, but in the ballpark of a veg tan cow/horse Lewis, which is probably the closest analogue as far as still-existing and strong heritage maker using such a leather.

I would take this over FCL’s long Perfecto with literally cut-off epaulettes/belt any day of the week. Against Toys McCoy, RMC Buco, or Sugar Cane, it’s a tougher call but I think this still holds its own at least.

(The only RMC Buco I want, is the discontinued combination tanned one, funnily enough, not the veg tan version.)

marker2037

Practically Family
I just think it looks waaaaaaay too long.
It is. I referenced this guy's other picture earlier in the thread, but I didn't want to post it myself as it's not from this forum. As I alluded to earlier, if he takes his hand out of his pocket, stands up straight and let's the jacket hang it's nearly half the length of his entire body. It's just wrong for him. There's only one way he can wear that jacket and it's with untucked extra long t-shirts and unzipped only. Not our style at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto