Sears Motorcylce Jacket History 1949-1963

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by tmitchell59, Jul 28, 2020.

1. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I agree Sears sold some fine and interesting jackets. There are easier to find do the vast volume of jackets they sold. Their mail-order catalogs give us a clear picture of jackets being produced during the time period. I own two Hercules jacket, one MC, and one sur coat. On the other hand, Sears did not make jackets and for me will never instill the excitement of finding or owning an original leather jacket from the time period of an actual jacket maker such as Buco, Star Grove, Cal Leather Taubers, California Sports Wear, or any of the smaller jacket makers. I fell the same way about Beck, even though I seen their early examples command high sale prices. I would hold out for a Schott who probably made the early Beck jacket. Going back to Sears their Allstate label is thought to be made by Buco, so an Allstate and Buco jacket of the same design and time period would be identical with the Allstate jacket being more rare. I would rather own the Buco

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    dannyk and JMax like this.
  2. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Terry, I am looking forward to reading your posts as you research and work progress.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  3. dannyk

dannyk Practically Family

Oh I totally understand. I think a lot of the pricing for Sears jackets comes down to as you said they made a ton, so a ton still exist. I just think they dont get enough credit for their designs and how well built they were. Again, they were not on Cal, Langlitz, or Buco level. But they were very fine jackets. So no I dont think they are incredible, and yes there are a lot of them, so the pricing for them is probably fair. Just saying on the other hand they were using the best designs, sometimes having the best make them for them like Buco/Allstate and so many have survived because they were well built. Didnt you just get a Star off eBay? Cant wait to see that.

4. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Dan, I think you missed my point, Sears did not make any jackets. I would prefer a jacket with the maker's label over a jacket with the distributor's / marketer's label

5. dannyk

Ok...sure I get that. I know they had plenty of other makers make their jackets. Im talking about in the general populace, or new collectors who hear the name Sears and dismiss them as mass produced junk. Which they clearly are not. I mean Buco was making some of them. I wish people knew more about that. Im glad you do, and I see why you would rather have one directly from the maker, that all makes sense. I feel like maybe we were just talking past one another? So my point had only been they were using great designs and leather-produced by others I get that, and then slapping their labels on it. Terry here is showing that long history and finding the links to who actually made them. I hope this brings to light the fact they were pretty good. Whether someone wants the actual maker or not is cool,and definitely would have more value.

jonbuilder likes this.
  6. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I agree with you 100%

dannyk likes this.
  7. dannyk

Alright were on the same page now! haha. Thanks for sticking with me.

8. Tony99

Tony99 New in Town

Screenshot_20200702-210022~2.png
    Hello Terry, I'm new to this thread but love these old Sears Jackets. Thankyou for sharing your research & photos. I am confused with the Oakbrook label date My Oakbrook D pocket (see photos) has a black lining with steerhide tag, removable belt & detachable collar. Also the cigarette pocket is stitched on outside, like the early Hercules. I've seen other Oakbrook jackets with red lining, also black lining but they have sewn half belts & cigarette pocket is on inside of the D if that makes sense...am thinking mine is an earlier version or variation...not sure. Screenshot_20200714-063635~2.png IMG_20200122_191106.jpg Screenshot_20200714-063635~2.png Screenshot_20200714-063635~2.png IMG_20200122_191106.jpg
    Hi Terry, fantastic information...here is my Oakbrook..not sure if the year, as it has detachable belt, collar & steerhide label

Peacoat, roadking04, dannyk and 2 others like this.
  9. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

WOW!!! Very interesting, never seen one like it. Having technical issues. More after I get issues resolved

dannyk likes this.
  10. Monitor

Monitor

The style is of the earliest Hercules version. Heh, is it possible it's a repro by Oakbrook? Seems like a 60's jacket in any case. Either way, my favorite variant of the style.

dannyk and Tony99 like this.
  11. Tony99

Tony99 New in Town

12. Tony99

Tony99 New in Town

I am thinking it is the 1st or 2nd style of Oakbrook as it has 50s style Talon zippers...and I've also seen the same with a red lining...then the half belt style & different label came in..but am not sure..

tmitchell59 likes this.
  13. tmitchell59

Look to be a Hercules labeled through belt jacket with a different lining and Oakbrook label. Look back at the images here of the through belt jackets. Perhaps the earliest variation of the Oakbrook label.

I have seen many Oakbrooks with their original fur collar, but typically in the red lined addition.

Nice example of an odd duck! Thanks for sharing the images.

Tony99 and dannyk like this.
  14. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Time to bring this work back to the top.

15. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Am I dreaming or is there a vintage Sears jacket & catalog thread stared by Terry. I been looking for such a tread this morning and can not find it. Found a jacket on eBay claimed to be from 1920s with a leather Hercules label I would like to post

tmitchell59 likes this.
  16. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I'm sure @tmitchell59 monitors this thread, but I have tagged him to make sure he sees it.

Edit Note: I have gone back and looked at all of the threads Terry has started, and didn't see anything similar to what you have described. Not to say he didn't, but that I didn't find it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    tmitchell59 likes this.
  17. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Perhaps you're thinking of this thread:

Regarding a leather Hercules label, on Page 3:

tmitchell59 likes this.
  18. tmitchell59

I think I know the jacket your are referring. amazing jacket.

[​IMG]

19. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Not a Motorcycle jacket but sears with old Hercules label I found interesting.

s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

20. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I am confused but I thought there is a sears jacket tread Paralleling this Sear motorcycle jacket tread? Half belts jackets and long half belts, what sears called sur coats were topics discussed.

tmitchell59 likes this.