Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sears Motorcylce Jacket History 1949-1963

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
HD also did in the 50s. Someone posted the cover of a 1958 HD accessory catalogue in the other thread.

Thanks!

I have seen HD CR style jackets listed as Horsehide, but was skeptical. Are they labeled as HH? I've seen HD Cross zips labeled as HH/Steerhide. I will have to do more research on this.

I put the HH Taubers CR in the 1960 era. Sometimes if you can date you brand you can date others.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks!

I have seen HD CR style jackets listed as Horsehide, but was skeptical. Are they labeled as HH? I've seen HD Cross zips labeled as HH/Steerhide. I will have to do more research on this.

I put the HH Taubers CR in the 1960 era. Sometimes if you can date you brand you can date others.
The 1958 catalog posted in the other thread however it was only the cover. Photos only show the Traveler and the Cycle Champ which are stated made of HH.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1958-harley-sportster-flh-duo-glide-1865629275
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/history-of-the-cafe-racer-jacket.100603/page-4

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The 1958 catalog posted in the other thread however it was only the cover. Photos only show the Traveler and the Cycle Champ which are stated made of HH.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1958-harley-sportster-flh-duo-glide-1865629275
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/history-of-the-cafe-racer-jacket.100603/page-4
I wonder whether my HD one pocket is made of hh. Hard to tell because it has a rather thick top coat. But this pebble grain looks more like steer to me. Although I'm everything but an expert so I'm basically just guessing.
F4BAA715-E5E5-4D0C-9DDE-4451BD243358.jpeg
B4D24DC1-6050-47D6-885C-B5EEF6229A55.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Thanks again!

My cut off for popular Horsehide use is 1960. Taubers/Cal Leather went into the 1960s with HH use. HD 50s label often included a leather tag for Steehide or Horsehide. They seem to have made the same model in either leather.

I wonder whether my HD one pocket is made of hh. Hard to tell because it has a rather thick top coat. But this pebble grain looks more like steer to me. Although I'm everything but an expert so I'm basically just guessing. View attachment 288431 View attachment 288432

Looks very nice, looks like Steerhide. A few years back I sold a very nice Civilian A2 that I called HH. A buyer mentioned that when they are HH they say so. I've followed that adage.

Per @Claybertrand's suggestion, I'm adding these two racers that I had for a while.

First one up is this brilliant Sears racer, made in heavy, beautiful leather. Very natural grain, character and feel to it. I had this jacket long ago and, not knowing any better at the time, I thought it's just nice. Retrospectively, turns out it was one of the nicest hides I've seen on any jacket, surpassing most stuff sold today even for major money.

No label but I remember stumbling upon another one just like it, only with the Sears label, which is how I know.
Funny thing though but eBay used to be full of these Sears racers until a few years back when they suddenly disappeared. There are very few of these jackets getting listed nowadays, thought they still sell for peanuts.

This exact model in this exact form I haven't ever seen again. Like, not even once. I wish I kept it.

Anyway, this jacket featured a wide-ish, comfortable cut, it was long & heavily lined. True winter leather jacket. Very warm. I like to believe it must've been a winter version of their cafe racer style.

The entire jacket was built up to Vanson's standard and was definitely sturdier by many other old jackets, though I don't suppose it was entirely too old. 70's, I'd say?

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

SONY-DSC.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Outside the timeframe for this thread, but here is an interesting Sears jacket

View attachment 290918

Thanks for posting this jacket. I have never seen this Sears MC jacket. I can make out Sears on the label, but the label is unusual. I'm thinking it is a Canadian jacket? The leather looks very light weight, like a 70s leather? I'm just guessing.

Looks like someone has seen this odd Sears jacket.

Lol! I had 5* making me this

9162ddd2-c92b-4354-861f-cf76cff0838f-jpeg.290919

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Thanks again! I saw this jacket but had trouble getting the pictures.

Has another Sears label I don't know that I have seen. The mountains with Styled and Made in California, even the Horsehide tag is unusual. Typically Sears jackets are standardized during the duration of a model. This is early 50s with this label. Styled and made was used during the early 50s.

The beautiful lining is another unseen feature. I have seen a very similar lining on a Sportclad jacket from this era. I will have to search for those pics to compare.

Has the through belt and the leather looks substantial.

Sears was probably going through different suppliers and this is one of those efforts that didn't last long.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

First ladies MC jacket

View attachment 250130

Same jacket as 1949

View attachment 250131

Interesting Twill jacket. I believe it is only in the 51, 52 catalogs. I have never seen one. This is the first year of the "new" Hercules label.

View attachment 250137

View attachment 250132

Note the jacket is now described with a kidney panel and wool lining. I have not seen a kidney panel jacket with a wool lining. Also note they describe these jackets as coming with a detachable collar, not as an extra. I see very few of these collars.

View attachment 250133

I need help if anyone has material. I do not show a leather motorcycle jacket only the Twill. Thanks to a fellow Lounger here are some 1952 images.

View attachment 250259

View attachment 250260

A steerhide jacket is now available. The Horsehide jacket has the red quilt lining and the most often seen today. I am not familiar with the Steerhide jacket

View attachment 250134

View attachment 250135 View attachment 250136
Just noticed the jacket of E, surcoat, it proves that my WB Place deerskin jacket is indeed for men and not a lady’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points