Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeing Red

frussell

One Too Many
To Collect

I believe one would wear this hat to "get his money right," or to swing his "pimp hand." This is the perfect lid to collect all the money your stable of ladies has earned for you during work hours. Frank.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
frussell said:
I believe one would wear this hat to "get his money right," or to swing his "pimp hand." This is the perfect lid to collect all the money your stable of ladies has earned for you during work hours. Frank.

Yeeaahhh, right. :rolleyes: So someone who goes for a splash of color is automatically a pimp. [huh]

I'd wear a red hat with a black coat and red scarf if it wasn't for my rather florid complexion. I don't think reds look that good on me even if I do like the color. I may give it a try sometime if the right hat comes along. I think a wide brim with a black bow would be nice. There was a rather dapper gentleman wearing such a combination (scarf, coat, and hat but narrow brim) at President Obama's Inauguration Ceremony. He looked sharp, and he stood out in the crowd.

My wife wears a man's red stingy brim fedora and looks good in it. :D

Cheers,
Tom

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Let me start off by saying...

...it's not that I'm against the color red. I like red. Red cherries for pie. Red Ford Mustangs. Just not that red. *rubs eyes* In fact, I think that hat is brighter than the sun! There's a good chance I just got Glaucoma! I honestly don't know what you would wear it for. Hunting season, so you could be seen in the woods?

frussell

One Too Many
Sorry for Being A Red Hater

Sorry Tom, I guess I've just got sour grapes because I, like you, cannot pull red off at all. Makes me look like I have jaundice or something. It happens to be one of my favorite colors also. I wasn't being serious, everybody knows pimps only wear Stratoliners. Thanks, Frank.

Geesie

Practically Family
Hypothesis: White people are jealous due to their inability to wear bold colors, get major case of sour grapes.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Either you're going to a Linux convention
(probably a real market for that hat):

red_hat_logo_big.jpg

Or Bubbles is identifying you to the cops:

ep46_bubbles_corner_notitle.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
The only white males I see wearing red hats also mix womens clothing into their wardrobe.:eek: One ahem... gentleman that comes to mind wears some sort of fedora daily, his favorite seems to be a red one worn with burgundy womens jeans....

Randy

Stan

A-List Customer
I wear a red hat at times

Hi,

I have a late 50's vintage Stetson Open Road in red with white 4 ligne ribbon and edge binding. It's restyled as a Stratoliner clone, although it was a true OR when I got it.

I wear it to NC State and Carolina Hurricanes games. Oh, and I carry a Hurricanes ballcap in case of a 'hat trick' so I can toss a hat without it being my OR. lol

Originally, it was bought from a store in Dallas by a OU fan. I bought it from someone selling items from the original owner's estate.

There was a photo of it on TFL somewhere, I think in the OR thread....

Anyway, for me, a red hat is a game hat. Admittedly, I'd not wear the one originally referenced in this thread unless I'd changed it to a white ribbon first.....

Later!

Stan

Edit: Ah! There it is! In an OR thread about OR colors! First page, about 3/4 of the way down. Those were the eBay auction photos. It now sports a diamond crease and front pinch which is my signature style.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36110&highlight=open+road

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Stan said:
Hi,

I have a late 50's vintage Stetson Open Road in red with white 4 ligne ribbon and edge binding. It's restyled as a Stratoliner clone, although it was a true OR when I got it.

Stan

Stan,

I remember that hat from when it was on ebay. I'd have gone for it if it had been my size!

Cheers,
Tom

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I like red shirts but not sure I could go for a red hat, unless directing traffic.

That said, I wonder how much is conditioning and how much is something inherently right or wrong about colors? I suspect it's mostly the former. We just don't expect bright red hats.[huh]

But on the other hand, a red hat is more conspicuous than a red shirt because it's sitting up there on your noggin, and makes you look like you want to draw a lot of attention. Red does that.

- Bill

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I saw a really dark red custom felt fedora once years ago and it really was attractive ... not too bright ... still definitly red.

I could enjoy that

I have a late '40s lemon yellow Champ in camel down finish that takes some getting used to, but I've grown to really like it. Plus, you never have to worry about someone else having your hat

I've shown it to a lot of hatters and have never met anyone who's even seen another one.

I can't believe red would be any harder to find something to go with than lemon yellow is.[huh]

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I saw a really dark red custom felt fedora once years ago and it really was attractive ... not too bright ... still definitely red.

I could enjoy that

I have a late '40s lemon yellow Champ in camel down finish that takes some getting used to, but I've grown to really like it. Plus, you never have to worry about someone else having your hat

I've shown it to a lot of hatters and have never met anyone who's even seen another one.

I can't believe red would be any harder to find something to go with than lemon yellow is.[huh]

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Red hat? Rooster crowing
Burgundy hat? interesting question.
Oxblood - everybody wants it since the movie Public Enemies.
Shade does matter.

okisakadouble1.jpg

An iconic ensemble of the late Hideki Okisaka. Class.
Maybe with a pair of B/W spectators to a swing dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore