Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

seersucker suits

carldelo

One Too Many
Richard Warren said:
On Monday I wore a light-weight blue wool blazer, and sweltered. On Tuesday, I wore seersucker, and was as cool as could be.

BTW the pants have cuffs and the shoes were brown penny loafers.

Cotton or wool seersucker?

Edward

Bartender
I'd love a seersucker suit in blue and white.... I could probably get away with it, too.... though I think I actually prefer the trousers and jackets as separates with, respectively, a navy blazer or plain navy trews. Not that I think the full suit is too much at all, I just love that old school striped piece with solid piece look.

I'll probably pick up at least one more linen suit this Summer..... Also have a really nice, lightweight cream cotton jacket and trews from M&S that cost very little (about £50 for both), makes for a great suit in the Summer for less formal occasions (for Lounge types, anyhow.... it's probably classifiable as 'wedding wear' for the norms.... lol ).

Just recently, I've picked up a few great Summer jackets in, of all places, Uniqlo. They have had a sale on, and so I picked up a few things. Took a punt on a couple of these (in pale blue, shown, and natural/beige):

IMGP3438.jpg

It's basically the classic trucker-style denim jacket in a cotton-linen blend. Perfect for a more casual look on those days when even a Harrington is too much. I went a bit psychobilly with it, but I reckon it'd pass nicely in a more accurate late-forties casual outfit.

Also picked up a couple of cotton-linen blend blazers, one in slim fit with peak lapels, lovely tailored fit, and the other in a notch lapel, with three buttons rolled on two - something i've not seen before in such a mainstream place. The quality of these is surprisingly high for a jacket at thirty quid (I got them in the sale at a tenner off). They are half-lined / skeleton lined, a la a lot of vintage US suits I've seen - front, sleeves and shoulders lined, not the back. Maybe I'm just lucky with their sizing, but while only labelled "large", they fit me just as well as some much more expensive 42R jackets I have, vintage and new. The one glaring flaw is the sleeve length - I'm gonig to have to have about two inches taken up on each of them.... presumably they have been cut to be worn as an outer jacket for the Summer, therefore they have "coat" length sleeves.... armholes are good, though, and the rest of the fit is overrall good. I'll certainly wear them out and to the office once I have the sleeves altered; they work very well for a sort of fifties-vibe.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I've had...

…seersucker suits forever. My current one is a Brooks Brothers model that I bought at the end of the season. I’ve never had the trousers hemmed, and so have never worn it as a suit. I typically wear it with navy slacks, a white shirt and a straw fedora.

I’ve always intended to get the trousers hemmed and altered so I could wear them with a navy polo shirt, but I never got around to it. It’s been forever since I actually wore a seersucker suit as a suit.

Jos A Banks sells just the jacket with some sort of new heat shedding lining if you decide you just want a blazer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Gray trousers can work well with a blue SS jacket and of course there's always white/cream.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Joseph A Bank is having a big sale for Father's Day. I just bought a three-button seersucker suit marked down to $99 and a pair of seersucker trousers marked down to $19.99, and they knocked off $25 because my order totaled more than $100. The shipping's free, too.

$93 for the whole order, shipped.

http://www.josabank.com

Feraud

Bartender
One fabric I cannot pull off is seersucker. Maybe it is my skin tone but I never like how I look in it.
What a shame because it is such a great fabric..

Edit- after reviewing the chart Tomasso posted I would like to try something in the charcoal or chocolate stripe..
Tomasso said:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
I have the Jos A Bank seersucker suit, also bought on sale. I highly recommend it. Highly.

They seem to have a range of prices (and, I'm guessing, quality) and mine's at the low end, but for the price I'm paying, it's worth a shot.

For some reason when ever I hear or read the term Seersucker I think of some acient comedy routine where the comedien says something about buying a seersucker suit and being the sucker that bought it at Sears.;)

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've never worn a bow tie, except for senior prom and my first wedding...and both events were disasters. Anyway, I wonder how I'd look in a bowtie. I may have to buy one and experiment with it.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have seen ZERO seersucker in thrift stores this year. I saw a couple of pincord suits but they were tacky 70s era and the fabric felt awful, so I passed.

Even a pair of trousers would be great to start with, just haven't seen any.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
davestlouis said:
David Conwill, great tie, but shouldn't a man of your means wear a shirt without a frayed collar?

I'm a man of means by no means. I do have a non-frayed blue shirt, but I was channeling preppy with the seersucker tie and the frayed collar, but perhaps I fell short.

-Dave

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I have a navy stripe seersucker from Jos. A. Banks, and highly recommend them. I've had mine for 4-5 years, wear it at least weekly in the summer, and it's held up well. I ordinarily wear it with nubuck (sp?) shoes. I wear either a white or blue shirt, & either tie or bowtie. It's noticeably cooler than my lightest colored non-seersucker suit, though I don't have a linen suit with which to compare. For a hat, I've got a couple of straws that work well, but today I wore a gray Open road that worked just fine. If you're looking to buy from Jos. A. Banks, I'd suggest getting on their email list and just being patient. Everything goes on sale eventually.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
davestlouis said:
Shoot David, I'm just razzin' you. I'm not above doing the same thing.

Taken in the spirit it was offered, I assure you. :)

Besides, I was more concerned about the dark smudge that showed up on my lapel sometime during the day. On a freshly cleaned suit! Argh.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo